Author Topic: Nelly - Nellyville  (Read 1233 times)

West Coast Veteran

Re:Nelly - Nellyville
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2003, 09:58:56 PM »
I don't see much of a difference between the formula for "In Da Club" and "Hot In Herre" or "21 Questions" and "Dilemma". To me it's all pop (not popular) but the style of music = soft radio friendly, catchy hooks and beats with very little substance or no substance at all.

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2003, 08:00:48 AM »
i try to keep an open mind about things...not a big nelly fan but some of his tracks are really good...for some reason air force ones is one of my fav tracks of the year....and listening to snoop is pretty much the same as listening to nelly anymore...i hated country grammar though

Skindiana bon3z

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2003, 08:08:14 AM »
I was feelin Dilemma when I first heard it last summer  :-[

But it got pretty old after a few listens...

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2003, 08:44:38 AM »
i have never checked any of nellys shit because his shit don't interest me

S.G.V.

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2003, 10:02:24 PM »
no they have an won style of 'singin' plus it's not all singin

some of em got a very fast flow n shit

Ja Rule obviesly sings just check out that single with Ashanti some time ago..

speakin on features.. that's another aspect of being pop/RnB.. Ashanti kinda is Ja's standart feature.. that's not HipHop
ja doesnt sing notes homie...he just softens his voice...and ashanti is on jas label....shes r & b...nate dogg isnt hip hop...and hes on 50's song...so whats the difference?...ur reachin...ur reachin a lot...hip hop and r & b have always had a good relationship....theyve always collabed...that doesnt take away from ur credability as a hip hop artist...

LoL @ SGV starting useless discussion (knowing he's wrong) just to get people pissed..  :D

There's a difference between being popular and making pop-music.
Eminem, Nelly & 50 Cent all makes popular music, but Nelly is the only that actually makes pop-music.
End of story.

lmao...i dont know im wrong...i know im right....u wont admit that 50 has faults...how is nelly makin pop-music?...he talks about guns...he talks about sex...drugs...um...last time i heard 50 he was talkin about the same shit...am i right?

S.G.V.

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2003, 10:03:45 PM »
In my mind there is a different in being pop and making commercial music.

Eminem is pop but (for the most part) does not make commercial music.

I find it funny how popularity changes some people's opinions of thier music.  Someone like DJ Quik makes more commercial music than Eminem or 50 Cent.  "Hand In Hand" or "Pitch In On A Party" are more commercial than "Without Me" or "In Da Club" and if those two songs blew up people would start talking shit about Quik and putting him in the "pop-music" category.  

I don't think I worded it well.   :-\
more commercial than "without me?" lmao...thats ridiculous...

Don Breezio

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2003, 10:44:29 PM »

lol...i agree on that one...theres nothing more commercial than without me.

not a big nelly fan but some of his tracks are really good...for some reason air force ones is one of my fav tracks of the year....

i hated that song...i used to love nelly...i loved everything he did until i heard that. i never thought his lyrics were that bad...until he made a song about shoes! seriously...i would rather hear about bitches and ice...i dont give a shit about his shoes! lol...i lost a lot of respect for nelly after that song dropped...even when it was just on the album i had the same respect for him i always had...but when it became a video and shit...and everyone started lovin the song about shoes...shit i thought hip hop had officially died. it sure as hell isnt in good health.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2003, 10:57:56 PM »

lol...i agree on that one...theres nothing more commercial than without me.

not a big nelly fan but some of his tracks are really good...for some reason air force ones is one of my fav tracks of the year....

i hated that song...i used to love nelly...i loved everything he did until i heard that. i never thought his lyrics were that bad...until he made a song about shoes! seriously...i would rather hear about bitches and ice...i dont give a shit about his shoes! lol...i lost a lot of respect for nelly after that song dropped...even when it was just on the album i had the same respect for him i always had...but when it became a video and shit...and everyone started lovin the song about shoes...shit i thought hip hop had officially died. it sure as hell isnt in good health.

What about when Run DMC did the classic "My Adidas"?

Don Breezio

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2003, 11:03:16 PM »
lol ppl always ask that...i never really felt that song either...i didnt lose any respect for them as a result of it because they have done so much for hip hop that losing respect for them is like losing a piece of hip hop itself..they have enough room to make a fuck up song now and then (and im probably the only person who thinks of that song that way)...either way i dont hate that song like i do air force ones...but the lyrics of it are...eh.

D.R.E.-Dogg

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2003, 04:45:23 AM »
no they have an won style of 'singin' plus it's not all singin

some of em got a very fast flow n shit

Ja Rule obviesly sings just check out that single with Ashanti some time ago..

speakin on features.. that's another aspect of being pop/RnB.. Ashanti kinda is Ja's standart feature.. that's not HipHop
ja doesnt sing notes homie...he just softens his voice...and ashanti is on jas label....shes r & b...nate dogg isnt hip hop...and hes on 50's song...so whats the difference?...ur reachin...ur reachin a lot...hip hop and r & b have always had a good relationship....theyve always collabed...that doesnt take away from ur credability as a hip hop artist...

Ja does sing without a doubt.. I know he sometimes just softens his voice as u call it but he sings too.. that track he did with R. Kelly was just a RnB song with 2 RnB singers.. one of em having Ja's horrible singing voice

Nate is something different he got a unique style and his hooks are hiphop hooks.. Danny Boy is an example for a typical RnB cat who jut had collabos with rappers.. Nate on the other hand ain't hiphop on solo shit cuz that's 100% singin but on hooks he is..
I ain't gotta tell u the difference, u know it.. Ashanti solo is pop Nate solo isn't, Ashanti hooks are RnB Nate hooks are HipHop

anyway I never said I mind rappers singin hooks but Ja either sings verses or 75% of his tracks consists of the hook.. that's RnB

mauzip

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2003, 06:55:34 AM »
dude! 'air force one' is great for in the club!

Last Dragon

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2003, 08:43:18 AM »
THe picture of Nelly below your name makes me want to slap him.  I bought his music, he's cool for when I want to have a party.  but, he's not for blasting on the block.  I went to a Nelly concert.  It was funny seeing all these little girls who have been using Daddy's money all their lives looking either nervous, or in awe of the TImberland wearing, Sean Jhon rocking brothers that were there.  I saw  group of them walk up to a bunch of dudes like they were exhibits.  They did end up walking away with them though.  :)

S.G.V.

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2003, 12:36:39 PM »

Ja does sing without a doubt.. I know he sometimes just softens his voice as u call it but he sings too.. that track he did with R. Kelly was just a RnB song with 2 RnB singers.. one of em having Ja's horrible singing voice

Nate is something different he got a unique style and his hooks are hiphop hooks.. Danny Boy is an example for a typical RnB cat who jut had collabos with rappers.. Nate on the other hand ain't hiphop on solo shit cuz that's 100% singin but on hooks he is..
I ain't gotta tell u the difference, u know it.. Ashanti solo is pop Nate solo isn't, Ashanti hooks are RnB Nate hooks are HipHop

anyway I never said I mind rappers singin hooks but Ja either sings verses or 75% of his tracks consists of the hook.. that's RnB
Ja aint singin...if he was singin he would have notes...just like snoop says dre had him flow on "g thang" where it sounded like he was signin...thats what ja does...its sorta harmonizin...like bone thugs...but i take it u hate bone thugs too right?...and as for nate and ashanti...r & b is r & b...nate isnt rappin...hes signin...therefore that makes it r & b...but whatever...ur so stuck in ur bias for ja rule that u wont ever give him a bit of credit...so u know tho...Ja has always been harmonizin...even on Venni Vetti Vicci or however its spelled...but people liked ja back then....so u probably didnt notice...

Don Breezio

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2003, 12:44:20 PM »
well said...my thoughts exactly...i posted this on http://tqfans.proboards6.com awhile back...its my thoughts on ja rule and why ppl diss on him...this is what i said:

ok we've had plent of topics with ppl dissing ja rule because he "sings his raps"...well heres my thoughts and i want everybody to reply to this sh!t because i have some points that i think you guys will be able to agree with...first off i can see why ppl diss ja for always having the R&B bitches on hooks...ashanti got old, christina milian got old, lil mo got old...that i can understand and i think he needs to quit with that sh!t...but as far as him "singing"...why the fuŠk does everyone pick on him for it? if your gonna pick on a rapper for singing instead of rapping then do the same for every single bone thug and mo thug! true bone has better skills...but it aint like ja is the first to do it. personally i like his style and i would hate it if he went back to the "holla holla" style...i loved holla holla but the rest of that album was straight bullsh!t! there were like 4 good tracks...but seriously...why pick on ja for singing when bone did it too...this is one of the reasons i think 50 cent is a fag for getting at ja for singing...everybody here has heard the "get rich or die trying" cd...there are about 5-10 songs where 50 sings the fuŠkin hook! why is he any better than ja then! so heres my final thought...if you wanna diss on ja...diss on him for havin the R&B bitches on his hooks all the time. but the singing thing really is nothing to get on him for.

S.G.V.

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2003, 12:57:20 PM »
well said...my thoughts exactly...i posted this on http://tqfans.proboards6.com awhile back...its my thoughts on ja rule and why ppl diss on him...this is what i said:

ok we've had plent of topics with ppl dissing ja rule because he "sings his raps"...well heres my thoughts and i want everybody to reply to this sh!t because i have some points that i think you guys will be able to agree with...first off i can see why ppl diss ja for always having the R&B bitches on hooks...ashanti got old, christina milian got old, lil mo got old...that i can understand and i think he needs to quit with that sh!t...but as far as him "singing"...why the fuŠk does everyone pick on him for it? if your gonna pick on a rapper for singing instead of rapping then do the same for every single bone thug and mo thug! true bone has better skills...but it aint like ja is the first to do it. personally i like his style and i would hate it if he went back to the "holla holla" style...i loved holla holla but the rest of that album was straight bullsh!t! there were like 4 good tracks...but seriously...why pick on ja for singing when bone did it too...this is one of the reasons i think 50 cent is a fag for getting at ja for singing...everybody here has heard the "get rich or die trying" cd...there are about 5-10 songs where 50 sings the fuŠkin hook! why is he any better than ja then! so heres my final thought...if you wanna diss on ja...diss on him for havin the R&B bitches on his hooks all the time. but the singing thing really is nothing to get on him for.
i guess there is a difference when bone and 50 do it...there is always a difference for these people...its no use tho...they will do some selective readin...and reply with some reason why 50 and bone are different...