Author Topic: GIANT FREIKING SEA MONSTER DISCOVERED  (Read 374 times)

Trauma-san

GIANT FREIKING SEA MONSTER DISCOVERED
« on: July 02, 2003, 04:09:49 PM »

More proof of god.  Another of his great creations...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/07/02/giant.find/index.html

(CNN) -- Is it a fabled giant octopus, a monster squid, or perhaps a piece of a rotting whale?

A huge, gelatinous sea creature found in the Southern Pacific Coast of Chile continued to baffle scientists Wednesday while they waited for a DNA analysis. Elsa Cabrera, director of the Center for Cetacean Conservation in Santiago, whose team found, photographed and preserved the find, received inquiries from around the world.

The more they looked at the creature, the more they became convinced it was a giant octopus known as Octopus Giganteus. A specimen of that octopus was believed to have washed up on the Florida Coast in 1896, but samples of the animal's skin were lost and its species was never confirmed, said Dr. James Mead, a zoologist at the Smithsonian Institution where pictures of the specimen are stored.

"We didn't see many tentacles, but from looking at pictures and descriptions of the 1896 animal and this one, the skin color and shape seem to match -- a bit gray with bits of pink," Cabrera said. "We're all very impressed by its size, but it's going to take further study to know for certain what it is."

The animal, which was discovered June 23 washed up on a Chilean beach, was described as a 40-foot-long (12-meter) mass of rotting grey flesh that scientists estimated to weigh about 13 tons.

"I had only heard about things like this in Jules Verne," Cabrera said, referring to the author of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," a classic novel full of exotic creatures and vivid descriptions of the sea.

But Mead, who has studied whales since 1965, said he believes the blob found in Chile is a massive chunk of whale.

"Over the years there have been reports all over the world ... of sea monsters washing up and at least 90 percent of these have turned out to be Basking Sharks," he said, noting the shark species can grow to be over 40 feet long. "But this somehow doesn't look like a Basking Shark. It looks like a piece of an old rotting whale."

The blob found in 1896 remains unidentified. But some believe it was part of a whale, not a giant octopus  
Mead said decomposing whale flesh looks slightly fibrous, similar to the flesh in the pictures of the Chilean find. While the animal found off the coast of Florida was never officially classified, he said, a similar mound of flesh found in 1988 on a Bermuda beach was tested. A DNA analysis found the animal was a piece of a sperm whale's head.

"DNA sequencing is the way to go," Mead said.

But he urged the scientists in Chile to preserve a different sample of the animal's flesh. The formaldehyde solution the Chilean researchers are using to preserve part of the animal would destroy a lab's ability to test its DNA, he said.

"They should have a sample just refrigerated in salt or alcohol that they could use for DNA sequencing," Mead said.

Cabrera said she hoped to find enough funding to conduct the DNA testing.

"We have scientists from France and Italy interested in helping us," she said. "We hope to have answers soon."

OutSider

Re:GIANT FREIKING SEA MONSTER DISCOVERED
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 04:17:31 PM »
Wow.. That's pretty neat if I might say ... what sea life family do you think it will fall under?

Man I would like to know if they are more then that one.. Even more so.. how long has that species.. exist

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 04:20:40 PM »
Yeah, there's more than one, I'll bet there's thousands, we're just so amazingly ignorant of the universe we live in, we have these huge creatures living here with us, that we don't even realize exist.  To me, it speaks to the complexity of God's creation, I trip out about it all the time.  I have a dog, sometimes it just amazes me; he has thoughts, he has parents, ambitions, etc. just like I do, though maybe on a smaller level.  There are TRILLIONS of organisms out there, all individuals.  

OutSider

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 04:30:25 PM »
yeah, i can see the god part... but.. from what i see the creature is flat.. which probably means he spends most of his time at the bottom of the ocean.. also the ocean is a very huge world.. inside a world... then it's color too would be hard to distinguish.. from the water.. the make ships grayish blue for a reason.. better to hide... in that color..

but anyways.. i am still in amaziment over it.. but i am wonder what species it is... or what family does it belong too.. keep us posted! :o

TheSheriff

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 05:29:16 PM »
Or, of course, it could be a piece of a sperm whale's head.

pappy

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2003, 06:30:35 PM »
the lockness monster could kick that things ass

TheSheriff

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2003, 06:46:06 PM »

Word. That thing is just a lump of grey shit, Nessie is a dragon thing, she'd beat that bitch's ass.

Entreri117

• Master Chief
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2003, 07:04:04 PM »

LMAO!

Word

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 12:12:55 AM »
Or, of course, it could be a piece of a sperm whale's head.

it looks more like a sperm whale's sperm than it's head...i dunno maybe you meant to say a sperm whale got head and that's what happened

lol  ;)

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 12:22:57 AM »
I think this is some kind of octopus....though there are claims of huge jellyfish,I don't think this is one.Possibly no whale either.Anyways,the deep sea is the home of countless undescribed mostly invertebrate species including monstrous octopus and jellyfish. Did any of you know there's actually a freaky fish from out there called Gollum because of it's looks?

Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

.:DayGoStyLz:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2003, 12:53:56 AM »

lol!

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2003, 02:07:33 AM »
It's a diversion carried out by muslim extremists in their plan to bomb....

HHH

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "hello!!"
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2003, 02:32:29 AM »
thats nasty....i cant even make out what its supposed to be  :o

T.J.

• Wanksta
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my deck
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2003, 02:41:07 AM »

not funny

kick ass album

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2003, 03:06:54 AM »

not funny

Wasn't meant to be, so remove thyself off my scrotum. I was portraying the views of some of these "mini-George W's".