Author Topic: RIAA is gonna fuck us up  (Read 960 times)

Jome

Re:RIAA is gonna fuck us up
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2003, 05:42:23 PM »
Hmm.. did I silence Trauma.. ?
I didn't know that was possible..  :-\

Trauma-san

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2003, 07:51:53 PM »
Hmm.. did I silence Trauma.. ?
I didn't know that was possible..  :-\

It's not.  I just talked on so many threads I forgot about this one.

Anyways, you're wrong, again.  Your small-town bootleggers didn't have access to albums, 2 FRIEKIN MONTHS before they came out, 15 years ago.  Again, I go to the flea market every weekend, they have everything.  They're getting it off the net.  They're having friekin' competitions down at my flea market to see who can sell the cheapest, and who can get the newest stuff.  And it's not even just music, of course they have all the movies before they hit the theatre.  They've got movies (I mean, I don't know why I'm telling you this, you know, you're on MIRC everyday) that don't come out for weeks already sitting on the table down at the flea market.  

For you to say that bootleggers were just as bad then is rediculous.  What was once a new york/l.a./major cities thing now is all over the place, plus, you're still ignoring the fact that every kid with a computer can bootlegg his OWN stuff.  Don't tell me nobody's doing it, I'M DOING IT! I know if I'm doing it, a trillion other people are.

I'm not even saying it should be stopped, or that it can be stopped.  I'm just saying it IS a problem, I'm not going to sit here and act like it isn't happening, or put a positive spin on it, or get mad when people are simply trying to uphold the law.  Everybody that downloads albums deserves to get sued, or fined, or something.  Of course it'll never happen, but you can't bitch when it does, it's illegal, cut and dry.  

Jome

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2003, 08:38:12 PM »
Still not illegal in most countries..
And bootlegging is everywhere.. and been there for a long time.
L.A. or N.Y. never had a monopoly on bootlegging.. that shit is everywhere, and often it's bigger than anywhere where people are poor and cannot afford the real stuff.

Hell.. in some countries even the official stores sell bootlegs.. and have been doing it for a long time.
You're right about the time aspect though.. it can hurt sales when they leak 2 weeks in advance.. but this can also be turned into a good thing, if they know how to use it right.. e.g. make a big deal about it being leaked, and pushing the release forward.. creates a PR-managers dream..

And to quote myself:

Look at the new up and coming artist.. and how they are using the internet for marketing themselves..
IV Life.. 50 Cent & G-Unit.. The Lox.. Shady Records.. Rodzilla and them upcoming cats.. Beastie Boys.. Public Enemy.. Limp Bizkit hell, even Snoop Dogg is using it now.. not to mention Warren G is starting up..
They have discovered the biggest and easiest marketing channel there is..
INTERNET.