Author Topic: U.N. announces the 20 best and worst countries for living standard, 2003!!  (Read 638 times)

Jome

U.N. announces the 20 best countries for living standard 2003.
Last years winner was Norway, as we all remember..  8)

The top-ranked nations were:

1. Norway
2. Iceland
3. Sweden
4. Australia
5. Netherlands
6. Belgium
7. United States
8. Canada
9. Japan
10. Switzerland
11. Denmark
12. Ireland
13. Britain
14. Finland
15. Luxembourg
16. Austria
17. France
18. Germany
19. Spain
20. New Zealand.

Gee, what a surprise..  ;D

Those with low development rankings, from 156th to 175th place, were:

Senegal
Guinea
Rwanda
Benin
Tanzania
Ivory Coast
Malawi
Zambia
Angola
Chad
Guinea-Bissau
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Central African Republic
Ethiopia
Mozambique
Burundi
Mali
Burkina Faso
Niger
Sierra Leone.

Norway Heads Quality of Life Index; Canada Miffed
Tue Jul 8, 1:43 PM ET

By Evelyn Leopold

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Norway, Iceland, Sweden, Australia and the Netherlands ranked as the best countries in which to live in the 2003 U.N. Human Development report on Tuesday, but people in once top-ranked Canada were miffed.

The United States ranked seventh and Canada was eighth in the report that seeks to go beyond per-capita income and include such factors as educational levels, health care and life expectancy in measuring a nation's well-being.

The report also gives a separate index for women's participation in political and economic fields, with surprising results. It says women fare better in Botswana, Costa Rica and Namibia than in Greece, Italy and Japan.

Canada, which had been in first place in the overall index of 175 countries for seven years until 2001, conducted its own poll, apparently timed to the U.N. report. Last year, Canada slipped to third place.

Canadian media reported that 89 percent of the country had an "absolute conviction that we have a better quality of life than the United States."

Mark Malloch Brown, head of the U.N. Development Program that produces the index, said there was little difference among the 10 top-rated nations. The change in Canada's status was due to new methods of calculating educational standards.

The overall index shows a decline in ranking among 21 nations over the 1990s. For example, South Africa, now in 111th place, fell 28 ranks from 1990 because more people died younger from AIDS (news - web sites)-related illnesses.

China and India exhibited steady growth among developing countries in the 1990s, now ranking in 104th place and 127th place, respectively.

Roughly half the countries in Latin America and the Caribbean recorded either a decline or stagnation in income during the 1990s. In Eastern Europe and Central Asia, per-capita income also fell, with steep drops in Russia, Moldova, Tajikistan and Ukraine.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
wow  that's tight news considering the recession and all the money problems the US is kinda having right now, we still manage to land in at lucky number 7.  :)

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
from what my barber told me in norway u pay like £5 a pint over there! n they supposed to have a bit of a heroin problem.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Don Seer

rofl @ canada

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
SARS messed them up bigtime lol

BTW I am 100% convinced that if it was done as it should be, and England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were done separately, England would be top 8. Scotland is a third world nation, it brings us down every time.

No offence.

Don Seer

seems fair to me.. lol

Canadian media reported that 89 percent of the country had an "absolute conviction that we have a better quality of life than the United States."

= we think we're better..... haha...

its just like us and the french.... but hey.. they're lower this time (lossseeerssss) haha.. just playing...

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
Whats happened to France and Germany...I'm sure they were above us last year

mauzip

#5 is a pretty good score 8)

Don Seer

they refused to fight iraq! hahaha  8)

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa

they refused to fight iraq! hahaha  8)

Lmao

Trauma-san

Well, it's from the U.N., so you know it's a bunch of bullshit.  They probably were going to put Canada higher, but then after the signed the bill SAYING canada was higher, decided something needed to be done about putting Canada higher, determined they were going to Warn Canada they were going to be higher, and then signed another bill proclaiming canada higher and that they deserved to be on the bill; ... they decided not to enforce Canada being higher on the bill.  I think that's how they decide stuff around there.  

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
its just like us and the french.... but hey.. they're lower this time (lossseeerssss) haha.. just playing...

i never thought of it that way, but yeah you're almost 100% right,lol.

and if you look at the make up of the country it makes good too.

america-majority british culture
canada-majority french culture

« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 02:38:00 PM by Don Jacob Corleone »

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
seems fair to me.. lol

= we think we're better..... haha...

canadian ppl do have very good living standards i'm surprised its below america cos it has some proper poor places

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Jome

Well, it's from the U.N., so you know it's a bunch of bullshit.  They probably were going to put Canada higher, but then after the signed the bill SAYING canada was higher, decided something needed to be done about putting Canada higher, determined they were going to Warn Canada they were going to be higher, and then signed another bill proclaiming canada higher and that they deserved to be on the bill; ... they decided not to enforce Canada being higher on the bill.  I think that's how they decide stuff around there.  

LOL.. bullshit.
This isn't a political awardshow.. and the countries give their info/numbers to U.N., it's not something U.N. guesses or makes up..  ::)

from what my barber told me in norway u pay like £5 a pint over there! n they supposed to have a bit of a heroin problem.

Yeah, everything is expensive over here.. and £5 for a pint is considered average price.. but that's because of all the taxes..
The reason why it's expensive, is because people can afford it though..