Author Topic: Biggest Influence On Hip Hop?  (Read 709 times)

West Coast Veteran

Re:Biggest Influence On Hip Hop?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2003, 12:19:56 AM »
he brought it more into white homes and stuff like that...yeah nwa was in the suburbs...but it didnt really hit close to home for a lot of ppl until eminem came talkin some crazy shit about rippin pam lee's tits off...

I still don't see how that influences hip hop music.

I see it bringing in a few fans that probably never listened to hip hop but we all know the majority of hip hop fans has always been white for many years prior to Eminem so that's not really a big impact.  

I do think he has some impact and influence but is nothing compared to the influence of N.W.A. and the impact of N.W.A.

Don Breezio

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2003, 12:26:13 AM »
he brought it more into white homes and stuff like that...yeah nwa was in the suburbs...but it didnt really hit close to home for a lot of ppl until eminem came talkin some crazy shit about rippin pam lee's tits off...

I see it bringing in a few fans that probably never listened to hip hop but we all know the majority of hip hop fans has always been white for many years prior to Eminem so that's not really a big impact.  

he brought more than a few...he brought a lot of ppl who loved nothing but rock and heavy metal etc....shit he even brought older ppl who thought they hated hip hop...he has had a huge impact on bringing ppl to hip hop.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2003, 12:29:21 AM »

he brought more than a few...he brought a lot of ppl who loved nothing but rock and heavy metal etc....shit he even brought older ppl who thought they hated hip hop...he has had a huge impact on bringing ppl to hip hop.

Yeah I guess although Snoop, P. Diddy, Nelly, Will Smith, etc. have already done that and also every other rapper that went over 5 million.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 12:30:11 AM by WestCoastVeteran »

Don Breezio

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2003, 12:30:35 AM »

P. Diddy, Nelly, Will Smith, etc. have already done that.

that is true too...unfortunately they brought pop fans to hip hop  :-\

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2003, 12:33:07 AM »

Yeah and Eminem only brings true hip hop heads to hip hop.

"I used to be a huge Lance Bass fan but after I saw Eminem diss them. I thought he was like so cool. Totally!" - Pimple faced white girl with braces and a lisp on MTV Fanography

Don Breezio

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2003, 12:35:13 AM »

Yeah and Eminem only brings true hip hop heads to hip hop.

"I used to be a huge Lance Bass fan but after I saw Eminem diss them. I thought he was like so cool. Totally!" - Pimple faced white girl with braces and a lisp on MTV Fanography
no but what im saying is that eminem while he does bring his share of pop fans into hip hop has also brought in rock fans, country fans, parents even....nelly and will smith didnt do that really...they just brought in pop fans...maybe a few parents and country fans...

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2003, 12:40:37 AM »
no but what im saying is that eminem while he does bring his share of pop fans into hip hop has also brought in rock fans, country fans, parents even....nelly and will smith didnt do that really...they just brought in pop fans...maybe a few parents and country fans...

I know Will Smith is loved by white parents just as much as Eminem even more especially when he dropped Big Willie Style which is why it sold more than any Eminem album. I know Snoop brought in just as many rock fans, country fans. I just don't consider Eminem's impact huge (as big as N.W.A. which is what my argument is based on) since it's been done so many times before but I don't deny that he has had impact.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 12:44:07 AM by WestCoastVeteran »

Don Breezio

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2003, 12:43:40 AM »
I know Snoop brought in just as many rock fans, country fans. I just don't consider Eminem's impact huge since it's been done so many times before but I don't deny that he has had impact.

thats why i left snoop out of my reply...snoop did it too...but i wouldnt say so many times before because i think the only times its been done to the same magnitude as eminem were NWA and Snoop...after that shit kinda went downhill as far as attracting new fans...and after that many years...you have a lot of ppl who never discovered rap when snoop was out cuz they were too young...thats why eminem had such a huge impact...he was kind of the doggystyle of the new generation...

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2003, 12:51:44 AM »
I know Snoop brought in just as many rock fans, country fans. I just don't consider Eminem's impact huge since it's been done so many times before but I don't deny that he has had impact.

thats why i left snoop out of my reply...snoop did it too...but i wouldnt say so many times before because i think the only times its been done to the same magnitude as eminem were NWA and Snoop...after that shit kinda went downhill as far as attracting new fans...and after that many years...you have a lot of ppl who never discovered rap when snoop was out cuz they were too young...thats why eminem had such a huge impact...he was kind of the doggystyle of the new generation...

Like I said Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Puff Daddy, Will Smith, Nelly sold just as many records as him and brought in all kinds of audiences to hip hop, once you go over 5 million all musical backgrounds are buying your record. That fact is hard to justify since I am basing it on personal experiences and what I see in the media. It has been done before and will be done again just look at 50 Cent. That's why I don't think it's anything big since it has been done and will keep on being done by the next superstar.

Don Breezio

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2003, 12:55:43 AM »

Like I said Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Puff Daddy, Will Smith, Nelly sold just as many records as him and brought in all kinds of audiences to hip hop, once you go over 5 million all musical backgrounds are buying your record. That fact is hard to justify since I am basing it on personal experiences and what I see in the media. It has been done before and will be done again just look at 50 Cent. That's why I don't think it's anything big since it has been done and will keep on being done by the next superstar.

actually i think the only thing 50 cent has done for hip hop is add to the ruining of it...but we wont get into that or we'll end up w/ the 50 dickriders and the 50 haters all in here with a big arguement...50 hasnt brought anyone to hip hop who wasnt already here...he didnt have a chance...em came out right when the industry needed a new...i wanna say role model but thats not a great word for em lol...but u get what im saying...they were long overdue for one...now that hes done that in that time we've had a million of them...em, nelly, puffy (now that hes gotten more commercial), ja rule, 50 cent...if em hadnt've come then whoever came after him would've done it...just not to the extent he did. but he did it at the perfect time which is why i say that he was the doggystyle of the new generation of hip hop.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2003, 01:02:09 AM »
actually i think the only thing 50 cent has done for hip hop is add to the ruining of it...but we wont get into that or we'll end up w/ the 50 dickriders and the 50 haters all in here with a big arguement...50 hasnt brought anyone to hip hop who wasnt already here...he didnt have a chance...em came out right when the industry needed a new...i wanna say role model but thats not a great word for em lol...but u get what im saying...they were long overdue for one...now that hes done that in that time we've had a million of them...em, nelly, puffy (now that hes gotten more commercial), ja rule, 50 cent...if em hadnt've come then whoever came after him would've done it...just not to the extent he did. but he did it at the perfect time which is why i say that he was the doggystyle of the new generation of hip hop.

Puffy sold just as many records as Eminem two years before Eminem came out. I would say that is to the same extent as Eminem. Puffy was on MTV just as much as Eminem in 1997. He had the most successful hip hop tour of all time during that time, No Way Out tour.  

Eminem didn't get as big as he is now until 2000. When he debuted in 1999 he was not running the industry yet. Jay-Z and DMX still outsold him during that time period.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 01:04:13 AM by WestCoastVeteran »

Don Breezio

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2003, 01:04:44 AM »
yea but he more or less reached out to ppl who were already into hip hop...while i love that album...and as perfect as that was at the time...it didnt bring that many new fans to hip hop...and that album was pretty much straight eastcoast gangster rap...there wasnt much bling bling...puffy wasnt all poppy like he is now...he was dope...he still is but hes too commercial now...i think that stuff was a big influence on hip hop...thats why i put I'll be missing you in my list...but i think em had a way bigger influence than puffy did.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2003, 01:10:47 AM »
yea but he more or less reached out to ppl who were already into hip hop...while i love that album...and as perfect as that was at the time...it didnt bring that many new fans to hip hop...and that album was pretty much straight eastcoast gangster rap...there wasnt much bling bling...puffy wasnt all poppy like he is now...he was dope...he still is but hes too commercial now...i think that stuff was a big influence on hip hop...thats why i put I'll be missing you in my list...but i think em had a way bigger influence than puffy did.

Puffy has and will always have a bigger influence on hip hop than Eminem. All the crap commercial bullshit you hear on the radio now is influenced by Puffy's radio friendly single formula. No Way Out was commercial as fuck and poppy at that. He reached out to rock fans, techno fans, country fans, etc. with that album. That alone makes him more influential than Eminem to HIP HOP MUSIC cause a bunch of country, rock and parents aren't going to change the sound of the music or influence anything in hip hop other than Eminem's sales. Puffy changed the way other rappers make records. All the excessive guest spots, the aforementioned commercial radio formula, expensive videos, etc. are all staples in hip hop now and that was because of Puff Daddy. To me it was a real negative but the impact/influence is still astonishing.

List all of Eminem's influences on HIP HOP MUSIC. Not how many sales he has, not how many awards he has won cause that does not affect HIP HOP MUSIC! Sure he has brought some people into hip hop but most of those people will only buy an Eminem record.

I'm talking about influencing how other RAPPERS make music or how Eminem affected the hip hop language ("Stan" I'll give him that), dress, THE culture.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 01:14:34 AM by WestCoastVeteran »

Don Breezio

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2003, 01:13:39 AM »
em may not have had that much influence on other rappers (except the white ones but a lot of them are trying to make it)...but neither did diddy...i dont see many ppl tryin to bring the no way out style anymore or even the forever or saga continues style...diddy is about as successful as eminem....em just happened to expose the world to the fact that white ppl may not be able to jump...but they can rap!

Don Breezio

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2003, 01:15:59 AM »
anywayz dude...im gettin tired as hell...its like 1:30 am here and i didnt get a whole lot of sleep last night...ill talk to you more about this tomorrow probably lol...