Author Topic: How Could I Believe in Religion?  (Read 947 times)

JTSimon

How Could I Believe in Religion?
« on: July 16, 2003, 08:08:12 AM »
;D All religions are fake...tools to control people.

Jimmy Cash

• 'G'
  • Jimbo C. on the scene
Re:How Could I Believe in Religion?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 08:19:30 AM »
yeah, but you have to believe in something

Reservation, Bitch!!!

mauzip

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 08:36:12 AM »

agreed

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 08:57:52 AM »
no they arent. but sadly they're misused that way.

zevin64

• Lil Geezy
  • The Enigmatic One
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 09:08:31 AM »

How do u know this? Have you analysed ALL religions? Perhaps by religion u mean some kind of belief system that people blindly follow. In such a case your own belief i.e that all religions are fake, you are blindly following.. since I don't see any evidence of you disproving all religion.

JTSimon

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 09:29:54 AM »

How do u know this? Have you analysed ALL religions? Perhaps by religion u mean some kind of belief system that people blindly follow. In such a case your own belief i.e that all religions are fake, you are blindly following.. since I don't see any evidence of you disproving all religion.

Why should I have to disprove something has never proved itself.

I believe more in science and evolution process than some fairy tale Adam and Eve bible story.

And I don't understand how people still follow religions that were forced upon them centuries ago....most of Africa, Mexcio/South America for example.

zevin64

• Lil Geezy
  • The Enigmatic One
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 10:25:42 AM »

Why should I have to disprove something has never proved itself.

What you're basically trying to say is that the burden of proof falls on the believer. However, one must ask the believer of what? If you still want to add validity to your statement what you're really trying to say is that the burden of proof falls on the affirmative propsition. However, the statement 'the burden of proof falls on the affirmative proposition' is in itself an affirmative proposition and thus would require proof in itself. The statement is self-refuting and a self-refuting statement or view is false.

I believe more in science and evolution process than some fairy tale Adam and Eve bible story.

Evolution process has never been proven. The chance of a living cell arisen randomnly by chance has to be expressed in exponentials of exponentials. It's been likened to assembling a few billion blind people on the planet, give each of them a Rubix Cube, and the probabability that all of them would arive at the answer at the same time. True organic compounds have been produced in the lab by scientists but all this proves is that INTELLIGENCE is needed to produce things so complex....not just some random process. Also, if the first living cell did arise by chance then that means that your brain and thoughts are the result of random processes. How can u be sure they evolved the 'right' way or what 'right' would even mean in that context? How do u know the statements you are making are 'correct'? Maybe u trust it by faith? Evolution is just as much a religion as Christianity in that it is a belief system that alot of people blindly follow. Anyways how can u know that you don't know anything, which is what the whole evolution random process implies. The view is self-refuting and thus is false.

Scientific facts do not disprove the Bible. Only when they are interpreted by some people based on their presuppositions does it appear so.

And I don't understand how people still follow religions that were forced upon them centuries ago....most of Africa, Mexcio/South America for example.

I don't understand how people can still believe such a belief system like evolution that is false.

JTSimon

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 11:02:24 AM »
;D weak attempts to discount my opinions

zevin64

• Lil Geezy
  • The Enigmatic One
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2003, 11:06:57 AM »
;D weak attempts to discount my opinions
Perhaps u could explain why giving some logic of your own to refute my logic.

Or you could just say something along the lines of: " Those are interesting points u make and they seem to prove your case. HOWEVER they might be wrong. Let me think about it for a while to see if they are flawed."

JTSimon

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2003, 11:49:22 AM »
Your a spin doctor...anything I say will just be turned around.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2003, 12:07:37 PM »
i dont believe in religion, science has more proof, religion has no proof, and the history of religion, makes me not want to belive,

zevin64

• Lil Geezy
  • The Enigmatic One
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2003, 12:36:52 PM »
Your a spin doctor...anything I say will just be turned around.

Yes, so as to expose the contradictory and self-refuting nature of your statements and thus the overall general flaws in your thinking. It saves most of the work when refuting a bad argument.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 12:41:42 PM by zevin64 »

zevin64

• Lil Geezy
  • The Enigmatic One
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2003, 12:51:35 PM »
i dont believe in religion, science has more proof, religion has no proof, and the history of religion, makes me not want to belive,

Science has more proof of what? Perhaps u mean proof of our origins or why we are here. Science has no proofs of those, just theories that are modified constantly or fall to give rise to new theories.

Science can explain how some things happen, but it can't explain exactly WHY things happen. Why does our planet seem to have conditions that encourage life? To be a consistent atheist or agnostic u would have to agree with this, because looking for WHY things happen indicates that there is a purpose for things happening which only points to some kind of higher being.

mauzip

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2003, 12:58:37 PM »
damn, who cares anyway. believe what you want to believe as long as you don't harm anyone :-X

zevin64

• Lil Geezy
  • The Enigmatic One
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2003, 01:10:11 PM »
damn, who cares anyway. believe what you want to believe as long as you don't harm anyone :-X

That said, there is no reason the atheist should ask a christian to give "proof" of his/her religion as the atheist who "doesn't care" wouldn't care even if such proofs were reasonable since he/she is going to still cling on to his/her own biased presupposition. The atheist therefore has no real yearn for knowledge since the bottom line is he/she doesn't care. Well the consistent atheist at least.