Author Topic: 2 tha people that are happy baseball came 2...  (Read 216 times)

HBKid_Jr

2 tha people that are happy baseball came 2...
« on: August 31, 2002, 07:07:55 PM »
an agreement,  please tell me how in anyway this helps baseball out at all,  please tell me how this not a band aid like what they did in 94
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
Re: 2 tha people that are happy baseball came 2...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2002, 10:28:21 PM »
its obviously better than '94 because the fans didnt get screwed.

add in 1) steroid testing, 2) luxury tax (similar to the nba from what i read), 3) more equity distribution between the smaller markets (that means that teams like milwaukee, kansas city, montreal etc get more help... 258 million up from 153... and that IS significant) 4) currency equalization will definitely help montreal and toronto... im not sure what the rate is but covering some of the currency difference will make it easier for the two teams from the North to woo free agents, make trades etc.

this agreement was as important for what it didnt give us as with what it did.  we got some forms of salary control, not to the extent that the sport needs, but its a definite first step.  the NFL and NBA didnt get there overnight.  An important and undervalued point is the fact that the two sides generally avoided negativity, backbiting, insults and hardlining which i believe will definitely aid future CBA negotiations.  Finally the legacy of the work stoppage has been ended, and I think that the fans and owners are starting to realize just a little bit, how much the system needed (and still needs, though not as badly) fixing.  when this CBA runs out i'm willing to bet that there will be a bit more salary restriction placed on teams, without a work stoppage thanks to the previous bargaining this year.  the NHL should take some notes for 2004... controlling salaries are important.
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

The Big Bad Ass

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2002, 08:55:18 AM »
an agreement,  please tell me how in anyway this helps baseball out at all,  please tell me how this not a band aid like what they did in 94

I agree with tom. I think this hurt the sport. Millions of people who were or were not causal fans saw this unfold on ESPN and probably got sick of it like I did. I have no desire to watch baseball now. Took me 3 years to warm up to it last time this went down, and shit, I may never be a big fan again. I can't be the only one in the world that feels this way, so I'm gonna assume it will lose some ratings.

HBKid_Jr

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2002, 11:08:56 AM »
these labor talks were a step in tha right direction,  but they could of done a lot more.  Tha only reason they came to an agreement is b/c 9-11.  imagine how bad MLB would look if they were on strike during 9-11.  Tha steroid testing is a complete an utter joke.  If u test positive for steroids u dont get fined,  suspended,  nutin at.  Its ok to take steroids,  tha testin is jus show that less players take steroids than every1 thinks.  you kno baseball will lie about that statistic.  Tha luxary tax is a joke 2.  By tha begining of next season,  there is a very good possibility tha luxary tax will only affect one team.  Tha rangers were goin cut pay roll even b4 tha new labor agreement an tha dodgers an red sox r right on tha line on if they have to pay or not.  There is no minimum pay roll so these small market teams that dont spend money wont spend there money from revenue sharing.  Tha only thing that this does is make so teams like tha a's can afford to keep there home grown talent.  There were some other things that bothered me wit this agreement but i cant remember.  First thing that needs to be done to build on this,  is get bud selig outta office.  They cant kick him,  if bud knows whats good for him an tha game he'll step down.  He saved his ass again,  he is better off leaving now.  Tha players an owners during these strike talks showed what they think of us,  they dont think of us.  They dont give a shit about us.  Every year ticket prices go up,  an owners an players continue to walk all over us.  DONT SUPPORT MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL NEXT YEAR.  Unless tha owners an players do shit 2 show that they do care about us.  do shit like tha NBA did when they resolved there strike.  Do you really think baseball is goin do anything for us to show they care ofcourse not,  please if ur a fan of tha game do not watch or buy tickets next year.  Go read tha box score in tha paper but dont give them ur money untill they show they care about tha fans