Author Topic: Smoking marijuana DOES NOT damage the brain/kill brain cells!!!  (Read 1718 times)

Quakaveli

Yeah I cant believe I havent posted this shit up here yet, this came out a couple months ago. Research dne by Quake's own university UC San Diego 8)

I always knew weed does not kill brain cells, and had arguements with conservative idiots who did not believe me, including few on this forum...now its been proven. Even Alcohol kills brain cells, keep that in mind!:

Smoking pot doesn't harm brain function - study

Posted by:
Ya Think on June 29, 7:19 am

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Smoking marijuana will certainly affect perception, but it does not cause permanent brain damage, researchers from the University of California at San Diego said Friday in a study.
"The findings were kind of a surprise. One might have expected to see more impairment of higher mental function," said Dr. Igor Grant, a UCSD professor of psychiatry and the study's lead author. Other illegal drugs, or even alcohol, can cause brain damage.

His team analyzed data from 15 previously published, controlled studies into the impact of long-term, recreational cannabis use on the neurocognitive ability of adults.

The studies tested the mental functions of routine pot smokers, but not while they were actually high, Grant said.

The results, published in the July issue of the Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, show that marijuana has only a marginally harmful long-term effect on learning and memory.

No effect at all was seen on other functions, including reaction time, attention, language, reasoning ability, and perceptual and motor skills.

Grant said the findings are particularly significant amid questions about marijuana's long-term toxicity now that several states are considering whether to make it available as a medicinal drug.

In California, growing marijuana for medical purposes is legal under a voter-approved law.

The UCSD analysis of studies involving 704 long-term cannabis users and 484 nonusers was sponsored by a state-supported program that oversees research into the use of cannabis to treat certain diseases.

Anecdotal evidence has shown that marijuana can help ease pain in patients with diseases like multiple sclerosis or prevent severe nausea in cancer patients, but the effects have yet to be proven in controlled studies, Grant said.

The UCSD research team said the problems observed in learning and forgetting suggest that long-term marijuana use results in selective memory defects, but said the impact was of a very small magnitude.

"If we barely find this tiny effect in long-term heavy users of cannabis, then we are unlikely to see deleterious side effects in individuals who receive cannabis for a short time in a medical setting," Grant said.

In addition, he noted that heavy marijuana users often abuse other drugs, such as alcohol and amphetamines, which also might have long-term neurological effects.

Some of the research studies used in the analysis were limited by the numbers of subjects or insufficient information about factors like exposure to other drugs or whether participants suffered from conditions like depression or personality disorders.

"If it turned out that new studies find that cannabis is helpful in treating some medical conditions, this enables us to see a marginal level of safety," Grant said.

© Copyright Reuters Ltd. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of Reuters Ltd.

Spit ur opinions. I think its great news, obviously. 8)

BLAZE ONE FO THA NATION!

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "When you come to a fork in the road...Take it"
Re:Smoking marijuana DOES NOT damage the brain/kill brain cells!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 02:42:04 PM »
It wouldn't be illegal if what you're was true. And if it doesn't kill/damage brain cells, then how come the people smoke marijuana become dumber and dumber the more they smoke it?

Jimmy Cash

• 'G'
  • Jimbo C. on the scene
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 03:54:27 PM »
thanks for the posting the artical quake, a lot of people on this board are anti-pot and i think we need to examine both sides of "the drug war" by posting more aritcals of this nature

It wouldn't be illegal if what you're was true. And if it doesn't kill/damage brain cells, then how come the people smoke marijuana become dumber and dumber the more they smoke it?
thats all opinion

Reservation, Bitch!!!

Sub-Z

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 08:40:59 PM »
people gradually becoming dumbasses once they start smoking marijuana is a opinion?

T.J.

• Wanksta
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my deck
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 09:42:25 PM »
the only reason they become dumber is because they dont think about workin and shit, they think like "when am i gonna smoke next" naaah mean
Quake, they should have used you as a lab-rat  8)

kick ass album

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2003, 10:07:30 PM »
^^ Yup, the one thing I've noticed in my OWN personal studies (lol) is that potheads are lazy and apathetic as hell.  They don't care about shit, except when is the next time they can get high.  Look at quake's avatars and shit for further proof of this.  Nothing's important to them, work, etc.  

T.J.

• Wanksta
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my deck
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 10:11:09 PM »
^^ Yup, the one thing I've noticed in my OWN personal studies (lol) is that potheads are lazy and apathetic as hell.  They don't care about shit, except when is the next time they can get high.  Look at quake's avatars and shit for further proof of this.  Nothing's important to them, work, etc.  

i smoke but i stay smart  8)

kick ass album

Eidolon_Ravi

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 11:48:55 PM »
This is bullshit... ppl come up with new opinions every other fortnite... Some other dumbass may sey smoking pot increases virility.. r u gonna buy that?? ;D

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 11:56:01 PM »
Quake, why don't you go hack everyone who disagrees with potsmoking like you did to me?

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2003, 12:01:54 AM »
there are so many smart people out there who smoke weed, its bs, people have no self control, and thats y they become dumb, yea weed can make u lazy, but only if u let it

Don Breezio

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2003, 12:33:47 AM »
thats fine if it doesnt kill brain cells...doesnt make it right to use though...it has been proven to affect perception which can be very harmful to you and the people around you. and you say it doesnt kill brain cells...you're right...straight marijuana does not...but what about the pot that is laced with other things? that does kill brain cells. i'm not saying i dissaprove of pot. i dont use it because i choose not to but if other people want to...good for them. i do dissaprove of people not being smart about it and driving stoned, etc...i probably sound like an anti-drug commercial but pot can have extremely bad effects on people...maybe not health wise...but it is harmful.

DJ_Jay_Deee

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2003, 12:52:39 AM »
I've seen weed affect people in different ways. Some people can end up all fucked up from smoking all the time (slow in the head, etc.) and other people can smoke as much weed as they want and still remain normal(normal in the longterm).

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2003, 01:17:59 AM »
Some studies show marijuana does damage brain cells, and some studies show it doesn't. So it's basically your choice to believe what you want to believe. (People who do smoke will use studies such as this as an excuse that weed does no harm to the body)

mauzip

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2003, 02:23:18 AM »
 ::)

people who smoke a lot of weed have much, much more chance to get alzheimer on an early age than people who don't.

Quakaveli

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2003, 08:13:46 PM »

That question was as dumb as ur grammar shows u to be, 7even.

LOL>...just from ur opinion on weed, and times Ive talked to u personally, I can tell U dont associate with potheads much..
Personally, during my first year of college(last year), I did had the best GPA, the most credits, and made more money during the Spring quarter...and I happened to smoke the most then too... ::)

PS> tha avtar text is a joke. :)

there are so many smart people out there who smoke weed, its bs, people have no self control, and thats y they become dumb, yea weed can make u lazy, but only if u let it
^^WORD.

doesnt make it right to use though...it has been proven to affect perception

So? It doesnt affect perception negatively. Maybe u had a couple bad experiences knowin ppl that got fucked over, but I bet it aint even the weed.

but what about the pot that is laced with other things? that does kill brain cells.

And what about the air containing carbon monoxide? ::)

Some studies show marijuana does damage brain cells, and some studies show it doesn't. So it's basically your choice to believe what you want to believe.

Of course, but thats my point- this study proved FROM A VALID SOURCE that it DOES NOT. Do some research on the other studies that were done, and then get back at me. This study is now receiving much acceptance around the world, just go on gooogle and type "UCSD marijuana" or "ucsd pot study" and see how many sites ull find, LOL...

People who do smoke will use studies such as this as an excuse that weed does no harm to the body

::) Thats a dumb argument many potheads use and it hurts their credibility. Marijuana is not completely harmless to your body. But there are things you can do to drastically reduce the harms: use a vaporizer, smoke more potent weed, etc

8)420 4 L143 8)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2003, 08:17:12 PM by Emperor Quake »