Author Topic: NBA Live 2003: New Move Abilities  (Read 323 times)

Big BpG

NBA Live 2003: New Move Abilities
« on: August 23, 2002, 06:22:40 PM »
Read this... looks like NBA Live is working to be a great basketball game again... from ign.com

When a player has the ball in the triple threat position (standing still, hasn't used his dribble) he'll have an entire set of moves he can use by flicking, holding or rotating the right analog stick in a variety of half and quarter circles. In the screenshots you can see Michael Jordan going eye to eye with David Wesley while palming the ball way behind him. A move like this or Allen Iverson's high to low roundabout might be executed by leaning the right stick in a direction and then rotating it down and around in a half circle. As you move the stick through the arc, the player will move the ball or make a similar analog move. You can even reverse direction midway through a move and come back to the starting position. Flicking the stick up, left or right will initiate a quick jab step to throw the defense off balance. You can even do Jordan's perimeter post up move where he turns his back to the defender and leans back into him. Going into this mode actually opens up a whole list of perimeter post up moves like fake spins and ball fakes.

When a player is dribbling around the court, the right analog stick moves include behind-the-back dribbles, spin moves, crossovers and a variety of other on-the-fly set up moves. Every move whether it's with the dribble, out of the triple threat or in the post has a direction associated with it so that pushing to the left on the stick executes a move to the left or a lefthanded move. Up usually corresponds to a move towards the basket and down means away.

While the right analog control for special moves is a tremendous innovation in hoop videogames, you will still be able to use the traditional face buttons to execute moves as well. The only difference is the cooler moves won't be on the face buttons. You'll just have to be happy with the traditional spin, in whatever direction the CPU sees fit, and crossover moves that we've always had on the face buttons.

The total number of moves is somewhere around 40 total. We've only mentioned a handful here to better explain just how they're going to work, but there will be all kinds of ways to fool the defense in NBA Live 2003. Speaking of defense, the right analog moves will also be used on defense. Leaning to the left or right on the right analog will stick that hand into the passing lane.

The magic in all of this comes with the corresponding animation for each move. A spin move or crossover doesn't occur in a vacuum but instead the transition animations into and out of the special moves are completely fluid. This is where you'll appreciate the effectiveness of the move since you'll see your guy going by the defense or the lane opening up as he comes out of his juke or brings the ball back under control. It's rare that you'll be using all of the right analog moves and standing still.

Different players obviously have different ball-handling ratings which means somebody like Steve Francis or Jason Kidd will be able to break off every special move with better results than say, Michael Olowakandi, who will lose the ball frequently and look awkward in the process. The players with handles will also have no problem linking one move into the other so that you can spin, crossover and shimmy your way down the court before setting up the final jab step and lean back fade away jumper. It's a beautiful thing when it works out and that's the whole point.

that sounds hard, but im sure with practice, these moves could be awesome!

-Big BpG
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Albums I Bought This Year

From '93 to '05

themovie

Re: NBA Live 2003: New Move Abilities
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2002, 06:58:12 PM »
::)

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2002, 11:42:42 PM »
yea thats sounds awesome

but dont sleep on 2k3
-street courts
-1on1 up to 5on5
-diving for the ball
-switch hands in the air (think jordan)
-Franchise mode 30 years

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

Sub-Z

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »
you can also import classic players like magic johnson,larry bird,or dr.j into your franchise in 2k3 if you want to

truemaster

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • EL Mas Chingon!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2002, 11:18:03 AM »
2K3 will be the monster basketball game of all time. Players change moves in mid air, sweat, dive for the basketball, etc. Thats going to be the shit!!

"But If You Say Cali Aint Shit, You probably Visited The Valley Little Bitch!"

Mr.Pac-Man

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2002, 07:56:50 PM »
I'll be anticipating both.......NBA Live 2003 seems like its going to give 2k3 competition this year.....since last year 2k2 was better then Live.........but right now EA has my vote over Sega Sports for football!!!!!

.:Common:.

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2002, 01:24:19 PM »
>:(FUCK!! I live in Australia and NBA 2k2 never came out.... Everyone talks about it being the best n shit now im pissed off coz i havent played it and i doubt 2k3 will come out in Oz.... FUCKIN  >:(
" I heard u sing, well you better make a whole new song, if they said dat shit is hot than nigga they told you wrong" Big L

Battle record 0-2!!! I think I better retire! LOL