Author Topic: Terrell Davis Retires : Last Game Tommorow  (Read 179 times)

Big BpG

Terrell Davis Retires : Last Game Tommorow
« on: August 18, 2002, 02:30:50 PM »
Damn, I liked Terrell Davis, he was an exciting player... at least he has his rings...

DENVER (AP) -- Terrell Davis wanted to keep playing. His knees just wouldn't cooperate.

After struggling with injuries for nearly four years, Davis announced that Monday night's preseason game against the San Francisco 49ers will be his last appearance in a Denver Broncos uniform.

``Unless some new technology comes along real soon,'' Davis said Saturday, ``there's a good chance I'll never see the field again.''

He considered trying to work through his latest ailment -- a degenerative condition in his left knee -- but doctors could not guarantee further treatment would alleviate the pain and swelling.

So instead of enduring another round of rehabilitation and wondering if he will play again, the 29-year-old Davis decided to end his career after just seven seasons. He will go on injured reserve Tuesday, allowing him to walk out in front of the fans one final time Monday.

``He wanted to go out on his own terms and he wanted some finality,'' Davis' agent Neil Schwartz said. ``It means a great deal for him to walk out of the tunnel at Mile High one last time. He would shake the hands of all 75,000 people there if he could.''

Davis' longevity leaves his place in history in doubt.

His 6,413 yards over his first four years in the league are the second-most in history over that span.

He finished his career with 7,607 yards, putting him ahead of five modern-day running backs already in the Hall of Fame -- Leroy Kelly, Hugh McElhenny, Lenny Moore, Gale Sayers and Doak Walker.

Davis also is one of four players to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a season. He won two Super Bowls and was one of just eight players to be MVP of the league and Super Bowl in a career.

``There have been a lot of 1,500-yard rushers in this league and guys who won MVP awards, but there haven't been very many guys that run for 2,000 yards and win the MVP and the Super Bowl,'' Broncos tight end Shannon Sharpe said. ``I don't think you can say because he didn't play for 10 or 15 years that he shouldn't get in. From 1996-98, he was the best player in the game, bar none.''

Davis, drafted in the sixth round in 1995, became one of the most popular and productive players in team history.

His best seasons came in 1997 and 1998.

In the 1997 season, Davis helped John Elway win his first Super Bowl and was chosen the game's MVP as the Broncos defeated Green Bay 31-24. Davis set five franchise records that season, including 1,750 yards and 15 rushing touchdowns.

The next season, he had 2,008 yards and won the MVP award, joining O.J. Simpson, Eric Dickerson and Barry Sanders as the only players to top 2,000.

``For three or four years, he was untouchable,'' Broncos center Tom Nalen said.

One play changed Davis' career.

In the fourth game of the 1999 season, Davis tackled Jets safety Victor Green after an interception. At the end of the play, Davis' right knee gave way after Broncos tackle Matt Lepsis rolled into it.

Davis tore his anterior cruciate ligament and was never the same.

He was limited to five games in 2000 because of a stress fracture in his lower leg, and he played only eight games because of a knee injury last season. Over his final three seasons, he gained 1,194 yards -- 814 fewer than he had in 1998.

He started having knee problems again just before Denver's preseason opener against Chicago on Aug. 10.

Davis said he ``felt like someone had a staple gun and shot it into the side of my knee.'' He had an exam the next day, which revealed a degenerative condition in the joint.

Davis had his knee drained three times in a week and had two injections to reduce the swelling and lubricate the knee joint. He said he was feeling better by Tuesday but didn't make progress the rest of the week.

Davis met with Denver coach Mike Shanahan on Saturday before making the decision to end his career.

``It's the hardest decision I had to make, but obviously the decision was made for me,'' Davis said. ``My body made it.''

I'll never forget Super Bowl XXXII against the packers.... Terrell was top notch

-Big BpG

Albums I Bought This Year

From '93 to '05

HBKid_Jr

Re: Terrell Davis Retires : Last Game Tommorow
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2002, 03:27:31 PM »
shame,  do u think he is a HOF,  2 rings,  one of only 3 players to have a 2000 yard rushin season
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Big BpG

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2002, 10:26:38 PM »
good question, I dont know... I mean... when he's playing, he is deadly... but when he's not he's horrid... two super bowl rings... a 2,000 yd season, then a 1,750 yard season... i'd give it to him

-Big BpG

Albums I Bought This Year

From '93 to '05

budsmokeronly

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2002, 04:52:24 AM »
damn thats too bad, he is a great player

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 03:15:28 PM »
he was mad good.If he stayed in the league longer he would mos def be a hall of famer

Smooth

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 03:47:23 PM »
he was mad good.If he stayed in the league longer he would mos def be a hall of famer

Word, It's to bad his career was ended short...
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0