Author Topic: Israel imposes 'racist' marriage law  (Read 473 times)

S.J

Israel imposes 'racist' marriage law
« on: August 01, 2003, 10:52:28 AM »
Palestinian-Israeli couples will be forced to leave or live apart
By Justin Huggler in Jerusalem
01 August 2003

Israel's Parliament has passed a law preventing Palestinians who marry Israelis from living in Israel. The move was denounced by human rights organisations as racist, undemocratic and discriminatory.

Under the new law, rushed through yesterday, Palestinians alone will be excluded from obtaining citizenship or residency. Anyone else who marries an Israeli will be entitled to Israeli citizenship.

Now Israeli Arabs who marry Palestinians from the West Bank or Gaza Strip will either have to move to the occupied territories, or live apart from their husband or wife. Their children will be affected too: from the age of 12 they will be denied citizenship or residency and forced to move out of Israel.

Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch sent a joint letter to the Knesset, Israel's parliament, urging members to reject the bill. "The draft law barring family reunification for Palestinian spouses of Israeli citizens is profoundly discriminatory," Amnesty said in a statement. "A law permitting such blatant racial discrimination, on grounds of ethnicity or nationality, would clearly violate international human rights law and treaties which Israel has ratified and pledged to uphold."

B'Tselem, an Israeli human rights organisation, joined in the criticism of the law. Yael Stein, a spokesman, said: "This is a racist law that decides who can live here according to racist criteria."

Some Israelis believe they are sitting on a demographic time bomb, with an Israeli Arab community, already 20 per cent of the population, growing faster than the Jewish population.

The discrimination is not only against Palestinians, according to human rights groups, but against Israel's own 1.2 million citizens of Palestinian origin as well. The overwhelming majority of Israelis who marry Palestinians are the so-called Israeli Arabs - Palestinians who live in Israel and have Israeli citizenship.

"This bill blatantly discriminates against Israelis of Palestinian origin and their Palestinian spouses," said Hanny Megally of Human Rights Watch. "It's scandalous that the Government has presented this bill, and it's shocking that the Knesset is rushing it through."

The government pushed the vote through at speed, even agreeing to consider it a vote of confidence to get it through. It was passed by 53 votes to 25, with one abstention.

Gideon Ezra, a cabinet minister, said: "This law comes to address a security issue. Since September 2000 we have seen a significant connection, in terror attacks, between Arabs from the West Bank and Gaza and Israeli Arabs."

Since 1993, more than 100,000 Palestinians have become Israeli citizens through marriage, Mr Ezra said. But B'Tselem pointed out that only 20 of those 100,000 have been involved in suicide bombings or other militant attacks. Human rights groups said security concerns could not justify the new law, which amounts to collective punishment. Noam Hoffstater, another spokesman for B'Tselem, said: "Those who voted for the bill and those who support it are making a very cynical use of security arguments to justify it, even though they used no data. This in fact was a cover for the real reason, which is the racist reason, the demographic reason."

Many on Israel's right fear that it will be impossible to maintain Israel's identity as an officially Jewish state if the Arab sector becomes too large.

"Today I lost hope," Sa'id abu Muammar, an Israeli Arab, told Reuters news agency. He has been hiding his Palestinian wife from the police since their marriage a year ago. "This is what we've been doing and this is probably what we will have to continue to do."

from The Independent
But I'm a do it like this so your crew will know
Tie your leg to a car, tie the other to a pole
Talk shit and laugh cause I got the gift of gab
Hop in the car, hit the gas, watch your ass split in half
-Rappin Ron

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Re:Israel imposes 'racist' marriage law
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 09:39:13 AM »
Like dude says in sohh.com, another page out of the Nazi handbook
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

lil Bullet from berdoo

• Lil Geezy
  • DoOoD!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 10:06:27 AM »
buy a seaturle...

it will solve all your problems...

eS El Duque

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 11:41:53 PM »
nah...buy alcohol...theres a great simpson qoute...but forgot it lol

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 12:59:53 AM »
I believe it goes something like this:

"Alcohol, the cause and solution to all of life's problems" ---- Homer Simpson

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 07:11:28 AM »
once again I guess, tough situations require tough solutions, Israel as u know does not support the so called "right of return" for the simple reason of asumeable majority based democratic take over, this is mainly something to prevent contrediction is Israel's self interests.....As u know some of the Palestinian families are not monogamic, does it mean that a bunch of Palestinian women can marry an Israeli Arab, and than have each of their offsprings to be granted Israeli sitizenship....?
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 11:36:32 AM »
once again I guess, tough situations require tough solutions, Israel as u know does not support the so called "right of return" for the simple reason of asumeable majority based democratic take over, this is mainly something to prevent contrediction is Israel's self interests.....As u know some of the Palestinian families are not monogamic, does it mean that a bunch of Palestinian women can marry an Israeli Arab, and than have each of their offsprings to be granted Israeli sitizenship....?

If it is their right, then they should be able to. Isnt Israel a democracy? What kind of restriction is this?
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2003, 01:20:45 PM »
Israel is a Jewish-democratic state, this is how it was declared and presented to the world.

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2003, 08:46:56 AM »
Facist state though now

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 01:37:29 PM »
it's almost as facist as USA  than I guess, Since USA's imigration control is far more advenced than Israel's....

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2003, 11:45:08 PM »
Lemme tell you the root of all this, on the level.

Israel is a small country, with a few jews.

They're surrounded by muslims.

The muslims believe it is their god-given purpose to kill every fucking jew they can find.

It was like that when Jesus was around, it was like that before Jesus was around.

They've been persecuted for years, they always have been, and they always will be.

Today, they're almost all gone, lol.  I don't know why they have always been so despised, but from the book of Genesis jews have been hated, all the way through to modern time.  The bible even alludes to the idea that Jesus was born a Jew because they were the only people bad enough on the earth to kill their own King.

If it wasn't for the united states protection of Israel, every muslim country in the middle east would have rid the world of Jews decades ago.  

So, it's a lose lose situation.  The jews will all die if america stops protecting them, and as long as the Jews are around, they will continue to fight the muslims, because the muslims will not quit until all the jews are dead.  There will be no peace, there will be no resolution, this will happen until the end of time.  

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2003, 11:50:58 PM »

The muslims believe it is their god-given purpose to kill every fucking jew they can find.

It was like that when Jesus was around, it was like that before Jesus was around.

Here is where your argument falls. Muslims/Islam did not exist before Jesus. Islam came into being around 600 years after.

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2003, 11:56:52 PM »
I realize that, I was trying to keep the argument simple.  Substitute Muslim with Arab, then.  I'm not talking about religions, I'm talking about races.

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2003, 12:07:53 AM »
You do know there are Arab Jews right? Let me do what you said and substitute "muslim" with "Arab".

"The Arabs believe it is their god-given purpose to kill every fucking jew they can find."

That would include Arab Christians, Arab Muslims, and Arab Jews.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 12:10:22 AM by The Governator »

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2003, 12:11:08 AM »
Now your argument that all Muslims want to kill Jews makes a lot more sense. ::)