Author Topic: Is going on STRIKE a democratic Right??  (Read 250 times)

Eidolon_Ravi

Is going on STRIKE a democratic Right??
« on: August 18, 2003, 09:06:16 AM »

Strikes affect the lives of millions of ppl.. even those who aren't directly involved in it...
 also the whole government machinery comes to a standstill and as a result huge losses are incurred.

And to top it all most of the times nothin good comes out these these strikes.. and they are just a farce acted out to satisfy the fuckin ego of some selected few...

Does Striking figures among the Democratic rights conferred to citizens??

mauzip

Re:Is going on STRIKE a democratic Right??
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 12:10:15 PM »
yes, it's a democratic right cause that way you can let people hear your voice.

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 12:59:40 PM »
Not saying i agree or disagree....

...depends on the cause and the consequences

yeah in principle it a way of voicing your opinion / dissatisfaction and everyone should have the right to have a say..

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 03:32:33 PM »

Strikes affect the lives of millions of ppl.. even those who aren't directly involved in it...
 also the whole government machinery comes to a standstill and as a result huge losses are incurred.

And to top it all most of the times nothin good comes out these these strikes.. and they are just a farce acted out to satisfy the fuckin ego of some selected few...

Does Striking figures among the Democratic rights conferred to citizens??

Damn, American's getting more and more conservative if this is even a question. In a democracy, there is everyone that is represented. Even workers. When the workers don't agree with what's going on in their workplace, they have the right to strike. By complaining to the boss, you'll accoplish nothing. But by hurting his wallet, you'll be heard. Strikes and Unions though are considered more of a Communist thing. (oh my God, that word is still around, they can still hurt us) The union's colors are revolutionary red, and Communism in it's purest form, is about workers rights, and the uprising of the workers. Over time, in the United States, many have borrowed from the Communist, to try and make their experience in a Capitolist United States more livable.

Now on why we have a right to strike. Workers are the heart and soul of industry, and they are the ones that work longs hours so that we get our goods, and that the goods are up to American standards. When workers are mistreated, it is usually done because the owners of the business are saving money, or something. Workers have lives, families, and what not. They started unions so that they can have benefits, so that their families have health insurance, dental, the worker has life insurance incase something happens in the work place, and other types of insurances, and benefits. The worker though takes a dock in pay for this, but it is worth it because if the worker paid by himself, it would be more costly, and almost impossible to do. Now the owner of the business the worker is working for is usually cool with this. Since Unions have become an American tradition, and helped out many people. Some Unions are currupt, but then again, some business owners are too. It varies, but workers do benefit from unions, and if they need be strikes. Strikes let the owner know that in fact the workers mean business. Now in places like the airport, Bill Clinton stepped in and ordered the people back to work because of the distrubance a strike would cause. A president does have that right. BUT, at the same time, he did also order the business owners to negotate a deal, and gave a deadline of when both sides agreed on what to do. So are strikes distuptive, yeah. But it is our right, and we the working class need to know how to use a strike. Because once that right is gone, we are nothing more than workers that take shit from our bosses. The working class has it bad enough, we are in America, lets keep our standard of living up.

Eidolon_Ravi

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 09:40:21 PM »

Okay but does it really make sense if demonstrators resort to all sort of anti-social activities just to make a point???
  Many Strikers resort to vandalism and go on rampage... destroyin public property and stores... it that justified..
 These days there's no such thing as peaceful demonstrations.. see the demonstrations that occur bfore each WTO meet in Geneva.. its violent and indecent...

All in all I feel strikes must be controlled and strictly regulated by govts. with an iron fist...

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2003, 11:24:42 PM »

Okay but does it really make sense if demonstrators resort to all sort of anti-social activities just to make a point???
  Many Strikers resort to vandalism and go on rampage... destroyin public property and stores... it that justified..
 These days there's no such thing as peaceful demonstrations.. see the demonstrations that occur bfore each WTO meet in Geneva.. its violent and indecent...

All in all I feel strikes must be controlled and strictly regulated by govts. with an iron fist...

Damn Nazi's. Well we are at it, we should reincarnate Hitler and have ultra-right wing governments. I see Hitler is popular on this board, might as well. I'm beginning to lose hope in future generations.

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2003, 11:12:17 PM »
Yes, it is a democratic right, you have the right to do whatever you want.  However, there are consequences and responsibilities that come along with your actions.  For instance, if you go on strike from your job, you get your ass fired, and don't get any paycheck.  So sure, you have the right to strike, but you'll have to see if the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.  

For instance, recently, people were protesting the war, by laying down in the middle of the streets in chicago.  Now, you have every right to lay down in the middle of the street, and disrupt traffic.  However, if you're halfway fucking intelligent, you realize that that's going to do one of three things.

1. Piss people off, who will then hate you AND your cause.

2. Get yourself thrown in jail for disrupting traffic, or

3. Get yourself run the fuck over.

Most democrats (it seems most people who strike are democrats, save the people who want 10 commandment statues in law buildings) don't realize that yes, you are free to do whatever you want, but that also brings repurcussions.

Another example.

The Dixie Chicks made a comment that George Bush was a dumbass or something.  Actually, just kidding, they said they were ashamed of him.  Now, people everywhere banned their music from radio stations, etc.  They bitched and complained that their right to freedom of speech was being violated.  The freedom of speech section of the bill of rights reads that congress shall make no law denying the right to express your opinion or voice.  Nobody has.  Individual citizens, however, decided that they didn't want to hear or buy Dixie Chick albums.  That's not oppressing them, that's just saying "Fuck You" in response to their comments.  After all, we're all free to say what we want, but there are always effects of whatever we do.  

Strike Away.  Don't bitch if you get fired, though.  

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 02:38:12 PM »
I know my dad was the head of his UAW (United Auto Workers) in Fontana Cali, and they striked because they worked long hours, and when G.E. took over his work place after the old owner died, they lost many benefits like dential, and medical, so they had a strike to regain their benefits that they lost. After the srike was sucessful, G.E. began treating the workers better, and it was all good, except I think they fired my dad, I'm not sure, I just know he got a new job later. But he knew what was going on, and he knew what could happen. On the way to work, to strike, a G.E. owned truck tried to push his little truck off the road. But he knew what could happen. He was no worst off afterwards, he just found a new job.

Now laying on the road is not a strike, that's a protest. And laying in the road, that's against the law. You have no rights, as you are breaking the law. A more constructive way is to get a permit, reserve a date, and have the street closed, and promote it to let people know what you are protesting and why. The new generation does not know how to protest. After all, we protested police brutality by burning down a city. Though I'll say that was just cause, we should go back and protest and present our cause, not lay in the roads.

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 09:06:53 PM »
Strikes and protests are similar, though.  I was just using an example like you mentioned of how people don't know how to protest anymore.  Also, striking workers can still be fired, there's just the chance that the company won't be able to find anymore employees since the union will blackball them.  It's actually a pretty smart move, whoever thought unions up, it's a way of getting negotiating power that rivals the companies.  

Eidolon_Ravi

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2003, 07:38:13 AM »

All this pertains to strikes against a private company where  the protestors and the "offending" company are sheltered by the same laws of the government.

But what hapens if the strikes are meant against the same governments who have previously made the same laws for protecting the interests of the strikers.. can they change those laws to suit their needs and benefits in this changed scenario??

Thus when the interests of the government is @ stake shouldn't they take action against these workers in the larger interest of the nation??? or should they watch the whole proceedings like a dumb spectator and watch the economy suffer????