Author Topic: Paris - The Devil Made Me Do It  (Read 795 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Paris - The Devil Made Me Do It
« on: August 27, 2003, 06:42:06 AM »
In 1990, Paris sent a shock through the West with his debut The Devil Made Me Do It. Coming off like a more angry/violently political Chuck D, Paris made this a classic in the eyes of many. Surprisingly, this album had 2 Top 20 singles: Break The Grip Of Shame & The Devil Made Me Do It. Track By Track, an amazing album:

1.Intro
2.Scarface Groove- not political, more of an old school sounding straight spitting. Great beat & lyrics 5/5
3.This Is A Test - Another great one, against pop rap/radio: "Black radio's a shame, pop rap's to blame, with that same ol disco tempo cliche intro, wack rap tracks for commercial shows."
4. Panther Power - a track about putting the power into the hands of Blacks. Eerie cheering from little girls at the end: "Revolution has come, time to pick up the gun." 5/5
5.Break The Grip Of Shame - One of the 2 best-known songs and with good reason. One of P's most powerful songs. "With a raised fist I resist!" classic line & song. 6/5
6.Warning - tells a story of 4 cops who gang up on a 13 year old kid. It ends with Paris going home & getting his gun. Great storytelling, nice beat too 4.5/5
7.Ebony - about the beauty of Blacks. A little too R&Bish but still a great song. 4/5
8.Brutal -  :o This song is nuts. The first verse is absolutely crazy, then the beat switches up to very rock-ish and Paris sounds very angry & emotional. 5/5
9. On The Prowl - skit
10. The Devil Made Me Do It - another well known & classic. Somewhat rock-ish with great lyrics. "Nigga please food stamps & free cheese cant be a cure for a sick disease." 6/5
11.The Hate That Hate Made - a song about hating in general and whos fault it is. Great track 4.5/5
12.Mellow Madness - a jaazy instrumental with P spitting great, one of my fave beats ever. 5/5
13.I Call Him Mad - about his DJ Mad Mike. P tears it up on the mic while Mad Mike shows his turnbtable tricks. 4.5/5
14.Escape From Babylon - One of the most personal tracks on the album. Paris lists the 10 things he wants for Black people
15. Wretched - Not the best track on the CD but its still a good one, actually good closing track. 4/5
16. Break The Grip Of Shame & 17. The Devil Made Me Do It - just extended remixes, see above ratings.

Overall one of the best CDs i have ever heard. The only CD's which IMO come close to this in terms  of intelligence are Ice Cube's Death Certificate, Public Enemy's Takes A Nation... & Paris's own Sleeping With The Enemy. In terms of lyrics Paris is incredible & he is balanced with great production. 5/5 Coming in 15 minutes, Guerilla Funk review

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
Re:Paris - The Devil Made Me Do It
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 08:18:20 AM »
Great album.  Still sounds good after 13 years!

Dr._Funkenstein

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 11:14:01 AM »
W-O-R-D. I completly agree - this album is so incredible...
Besides the strong lyrical content and Paris' murder flow there's something about the beats. I just can't get tired of them (this ish was recorded in 89/90 but the productions don't sound outdated!). Good review homie!

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 11:16:29 AM »
Besides the strong lyrical content and Paris' murder flow there's something about the beats. I just can't get tired of them (this ish was recorded in 89/90 but the productions don't sound outdated!). Good review homie!

yeah Paris is a dope producer as well as rapper....thanks for the feedback guys

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 10:57:08 AM »

Props!

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 07:28:13 PM »
thanks for the feedback, Sleeping With The Enemy was delayed cause i had some shit to do today, tommorrow hopefully

Paris