Author Topic: R.I.P. Governor O'Bannon  (Read 99 times)

mrtonguetwista

R.I.P. Governor O'Bannon
« on: September 13, 2003, 08:19:08 PM »
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Frank O'Bannon, who parlayed down-home southern Indiana charm and consensus-building ability into mixed success as his state's governor since 1997, died Saturday, five days after suffering a stroke. He was 73.

O'Bannon, who fell ill Monday while attending a conference in Chicago, died at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, press secretary Mary Dieter said.

``The governor experienced a drop in both blood pressure and heart rate. Based on the governor's living will, First Lady Judy O'Bannon and the family decided to use no further means of support and care and the governor died naturally,'' a statement from his press office said. He died at 11:33 a.m., the statement said.

Lt. Gov. Joe Kernan was sworn in as governor later in the day. He had been serving as official acting governor since Wednesday.

Judy O'Bannon, who had been at the governor's bedside since Monday, arrived at the Statehouse shortly before Kernan was to be sworn in, hugged a well-wisher and said, ``He was a tough old guy.''

The last governor to die in office was Missouri's Gov. Mel Carnahan, who was killed in a plane crash in October 2000 while campaigning for the U.S. Senate

The Big Bad Ass

Re:R.I.P. Governor O'Bannon
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2003, 09:09:29 PM »
He has been a good person for our state. He'll be missed. RIP Frank O'Bannon.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:R.I.P. Governor O'Bannon
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 08:18:53 AM »
R.I.P