Author Topic: Bomb Kills Pizza Deliveryman After Arrest in Bank Robbery  (Read 196 times)

Don Seer

Bomb Kills Pizza Deliveryman After Arrest in Bank Robbery
« on: September 01, 2003, 02:04:43 AM »
from http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/01/national/01ERIE.html?ex=1062993600&en=e2bbc1ab04435a35&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

Bomb Kills Pizza Deliveryman After Arrest in Bank Robbery
By MICHAEL SLACKMAN

n the beginning it appeared to be a run-of-the-mill bank robbery.

Brian Douglas Wells, 46, a pizza deliveryman, walked into a bank on a busy street in Erie, Pa., on Thursday, slipped the teller a note and walked out with a bag of cash, said Special Agent Bob Rudge, a supervisor in the F.B.I.'s Erie office.

Advertisement

But in a twist that has experienced local and federal investigators perplexed, Mr. Wells had a bomb around his chest that detonated and killed him shortly after he was stopped by the state police and taken into custody.

When he was arrested, investigators said, Mr. Wells claimed that someone had forced him to wear the bomb, set a timer and sent him out to rob the bank.

Agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation who were called in to work on the bank robbery were now helping the local police look into whether Mr. Wells's death was a homicide, Mr. Rudge said.

"There is information that he was forced to don this type of apparatus," Agent Rudge said in a telephone interview yesterday. "That is what we are investigating. Whether or not that is the case we just don't know yet."

The story took another turn yesterday when a friend and co-worker of Mr. Wells's was found dead.

The Associated Press quoted the police as saying that there was no obvious connection between the two deaths. Nevertheless, as a precaution, the authorities sent a bomb squad to search the house where the man's body was found.

Investigators said that the 43-year-old man, identified as Robert Pinetti by The Associated Press, lived in the house with his parents.

The police said they received a call early yesterday asking for medical assistance at the home, but that Mr. Pinetti refused it. A few hours later, the authorities were called to the house again after his parents had found him unresponsive. He was pronounced dead.

"There was nothing overtly obvious as to the cause of his death," Cpl. Mark Zaleski of the state police said, "but because there's a relationship between the two individuals, we are over there."

Both Mr. Pinetti and Mr. Wells worked for Mama Mia's Pizza-Ria on Peach Street, a busy commercial strip.

It was about 1:40 p.m. on Thursday when Mr. Wells set out to deliver a pizza to a residence on the same street, Mr. Rudge said. F.B.I. agents said they believed that Mr. Wells did make the delivery. Investigators did not find a pizza in the car.

But what happened after that is unclear.

Officials do know that an hour after leaving for his delivery, Mr. Wells was slipping a note to a teller at the PNC Bank, also on Peach Street.

The note asked for money and said that Mr. Wells was carrying a bomb, investigators said. The teller gave him the money, Mr. Rudge said, and he left.

As Mr. Wells went to his car, witnesses called the state police. There were troopers nearby and they pulled Mr. Wells over before he left Peach Street.

After they took him out of his car and handcuffed him, they learned that the case might be more than a typical bank robbery.

He told them he had a bomb strapped to his chest, that it was about to explode and that someone else had put it there, investigators said.

"It's going to go off," Mr. Wells is heard saying in videotape taken at the scene by a local television station, WJET-TV. "I'm not lying."

Indeed, he was not. As the authorities waited for a bomb disposal team to arrive, the device strapped to Mr. Wells exploded and he was killed in the blast. He was the only casualty.

Agent Rudge said that the state police had ordered Mr. Wells to sit on the pavement near a police car. He said they had cleared an area around him and called in the Erie police bomb squad, but that the bomb went off before they arrived.

It is not unusual for bank robbers to force tellers to hand over money by claiming to be carrying explosives. But bank robbers who actually have explosives are a bit more unusual, and bank robbers who actually die when bombs go off are virtually unheard of, Mr. Rudge said.

"What makes this case different is the robber was killed," Mr. Rudge said.

The state police did not return a call seeking comment.

Someone who answered the telephone at the pizza shop would only say: "You tell me what's going on. What I know I told the F.B.I."

nuts!

UnstoppableForce

Re:Bomb Kills Pizza Deliveryman After Arrest in Bank Robbery
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 02:22:25 AM »
*Waiting for Scorpion to somehow tie this to be the fault of Democrats*

Oh yeah, the mayor of Erie must be a Democrat, and if he was Republican this would've never happened.

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 02:43:24 AM »
^ two uncalled for swipes... why are u trying to cause trouble, neither scorpion (since he hasnt replied yet) or politics are related to this thread.

anyways.. this shits on a 'swordfish' tip.

Eidolon_Ravi

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2003, 06:41:49 AM »
*Waiting for Scorpion to somehow tie this to be the fault of Democrats*

Oh yeah, the mayor of Erie must be a Democrat, and if he was Republican this would've never happened.

;D Got to report u to *The Optical*

Naughty Boy!!! 8)

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2003, 06:46:39 AM »
^  ???

Eidolon_Ravi

Don Seer

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2003, 06:57:35 AM »
hehe... well i already told him off.. so theres really no need to repeat!

anyways... when did this shit happen?

i was suprised this wasnt already psoted here when i came here to check before putting it up.
kinda scary... coz theres no clue to who did it?

was he really working alone and blew himself up?

or was he really forced into doing it and they gave up hope of getting the money without compromising themselves ?!

is this the first time this has ever happened like this?

and if it was an idea stolen from hollywood are they accountable?

Eidolon_Ravi

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2003, 07:11:25 AM »

probably sumone wanted to just get back to him to even *old scores*

The story took another turn yesterday when a friend and co-worker of Mr. Wells's was found dead.

The Associated Press quoted the police as saying that there was no obvious connection between the two deaths. Nevertheless, as a precaution, the authorities sent a bomb squad to search the house where the man's body was found.

And when his friend got a whiff of their presence.. he was also eliminated.. seems kinda complex.. still plausible 8)

Don Seer

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2003, 07:13:45 AM »
co-worker?  maybe he took the call ?

hilarious how they says theres no obvious connection.. apart from that they were friends + worked at the same place.. like duh!?

JTSimon

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2003, 08:48:56 AM »
I need to see that video.

Damn that sucks if he was forced to wear the bomb  :-\
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 08:51:01 AM by Max Powers »

Jome

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2003, 09:29:58 PM »
Strange....  ???

I wonder if duke is telling the truth, and how come a regular pizzaboy is wearing a "sofisticated" bomb..  :-\

mrtonguetwista

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2003, 10:06:25 PM »
Hold the anchovies bitch 8)

Jome

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2003, 05:35:09 PM »
Damn, look at these thingiez:

Police say there must be a 3rd person involved, and that these bombs was very sopisticated..
I wonder who's behind these..

Don Seer

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2003, 12:15:33 AM »
jome.. whats that shit?

Jome

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2003, 12:48:52 AM »
jome.. whats that shit?

1st pic: Apparently this chain was attached to the dudes neck.. and removing it would cause the bomb to go off..
The bomb squad arrived too late, cuz there was a timer or some shit on it.

The 2nd pic is 5 locks on the bomb.. some hi-tech shit..
FBI describes the bombs locks as unique and sofisticated, the "necklace" was probably made by the same person attaching it to his neck, according to special agent Bob Rudge in FBI.

Btw, the police denies any connection between this incident and the co-worker..

The victim: