Author Topic: Hot Rod fires back at WWE  (Read 89 times)

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "When you come to a fork in the road...Take it"
Hot Rod fires back at WWE
« on: September 02, 2003, 04:56:33 PM »
Hot Rod fires back at WWE

By TIM BAINES -- Ottawa Sun

In an industry rife with politicking, Rowdy Roddy Piper is a straight shooter. No B.S., just words from the heart that sometimes ruffle feathers.

His latest mystifying departure from WWE has left Piper, real name Roderick Tombs, confused, hurt and hot at WWE boss Vince McMahon.

"I still haven't spoken to anyone from WWE," says Piper, who says his children took the news hard. "The way I found out was when they posted a press release. It was the hardest shot I've ever taken.

"(WWE) said we couldn't come to a contract agreement. That's a complete lie. There was never a written contract. I had the month of August booked with Piper's Pit (including house shows in Calgary and Edmonton)."

The trouble started with Piper's appearance on HBO's Real Sports show. Piper says he pulled no punches when interviewed, but he's unhappy that much of the show took his comments out of context. And, he says, he had McMahon's blessing to do the show.

"Real Sports. There's nothing real about it. Shame on them," says Piper, who can't understand why McMahon reacted the way he did.

"The only person I stooged on was myself," says Piper. "Hey, I like Vince ... we have a very strange relationship.

"But this time ... he might have picked on the wrong guy. A good fighter doesn't get angry. But when you hurt my family, I become a different guy. I can be a very vicious SOB."

So Roddy, what if you could face Vince McMahon in the ring, one-on-one?

"If I get that lucky, I could put a sandwich on my back and starve him to death," says Piper. "I'd tear the SOB apart."

Piper enjoyed his return to WWE.

"It was a joy to be there,"he says. "The wrestlers were so respectful."

Piper says his initial return to WWE was unusual.

"I took it as an opportunity to go back, keep my morals and help the industry thrive. I told them I wouldn't take a stinkface from Rikishi," he says. "So the first thing they asked me to do was join Vince McMahon's Kiss My Ass Club and the second thing was to take a stinkface from Rikishi.

"Why would they ask me to do that? Why, other than to humiliate or make a liar of me?"

Piper didn't like his boss becoming more and more involved in Piper's Pit.

"It was more about Vince McMahon being jealous of Roddy Piper," says Piper. "Piper's Pit is not crisp, it's a freefalling kind of thing.

"If Vince McMahon would get his head out of his ass, his business would double."

Piper is ready to move on with his life. He's cast in a movie, Night Fever, featuring Christopher Walken. And he's not done in the wrestling world, not by a longshot.

"And get this," he says. "Yale University wants me to come for a fireside chat. This for me -- with a Grade 8 education. I've kind of become an underdog hero for telling it like it is."

Yep, a hero and a legend.