Author Topic: Patriots Cut Milloy  (Read 109 times)

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "When you come to a fork in the road...Take it"
Patriots Cut Milloy
« on: September 02, 2003, 05:04:58 PM »
Tuesday, September 2, 2003

Associated Press

FOXBORO, Mass. -- The New England Patriots released Pro Bowl safety and team captain Lawyer Milloy on Tuesday, less than a week before his stunned former teammates will open the season.

Has it ever been this quiet in here? I don't think it has," linebacker Tedy Bruschi, Milloy's rookie roommate in 1996, said in the locker room. "I think 'shocked' is the word. ... You sort of just shake your head and ask yourself, 'Why?' "

Milloy, 29, started 106 consecutive games going back to his rookie year, when the Patriots won the AFC championship. He led the team in tackles in 2001, when New England won the Super Bowl.

But last year, he had no sacks, no forced fumbles and no interceptions, and 91 tackles was his lowest total since he became a full-time starter. Plus, he was due to cost the Patriots at least $5.25 million against the salary cap this year; the two sides had been trying to renegotiate his deal since April without success.

"Today is a day that nobody is happy about. This isn't the way we wanted this story to end," coach Bill Belichick said. "This is the hardest player that I have had to release. It was the hardest situation that I've had to go through like this, here or anywhere else."

Milloy's agent, Carl Poston, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Milloy was in the fourth year of a seven-year, $35 million contract he signed in 2000. By cutting him, the Patriots save his $4.4 million salary, but have to count the rest of his $6 million signing bonus against their salary cap in 2003-04.

"It doesn't surprise me, because I saw it with Drew (Bledsoe) and with Otis (Smith) and with just a lot of guys," quarterback Tom Brady said. "It is a tough business. It is really tough because there is never job security and it is not actually based on your performance, either. You can play at a Pro Bowl level and you could show up every day on time and never complain and be a captain and a leader. It is not about if it will happen, it is just when it will happen to each player."

In all, the move could save New England less than $3 million on their cap this year. With the season opener at Buffalo on Sunday, it's not clear why it was done now.

"It is scary in the timing," cornerback Ty Law said. "There's such a thing as good business and bad business. I don't know what category this one falls under. But to my eyes, and being selfish, at this late in the game and in regard to him and his family, I'm quite sure this is something that could have been done a long time ago."

Law could be facing something similar a year from now. He signed a seven-year, $50-milion deal in 1999 -- before Belichick came aboard -- and the Patriots reportedly are looking to reduce his cap hit, as well.

"We thought we'd get this last year in together. We knew one, if not both of us, would be gone after next year," Law said. "We were trying to leave on a good note, with a championship. ... I'm going to still try to go out there and lead the younger guys as much as I can, to go out there and always play for Lawyer and remember one of my fallen soldiers."

Milloy had taken all the practice snaps as the starting free safety. Now, the Patriots will have to choose from Antwan Harris, Aric Morris and Chris Akins.

"With this tragedy, we're going to have to pull together even closer for this game in Buffalo," Harris said. "I feel like I'm ready. I'm ready to go out there and show what I can do. I'm not any Lawyer Milloy. I'm Antwan. I have to take my abilities and put them on the field."

Will Milloy face Pats in Week 1?  
 Could standout strong safety Lawyer Milloy actually line up against his former team in Sunday's regular season opener? Don't bet against it.

Armed with Drew Bledsoe's endorsement, the Buffalo Bills have already contacted Milloy's agents and made an opening contract proposal, ESPN.com has learned.

The Patriots and Bills meet in Buffalo Sunday in what already is seen as a key matchup of AFC East contenders.

Several teams may be interested in Milloy, a top safety and respected locker room presence. A few might hesitate to sign Milloy, 29, before this wekend, since "vested" veterans have their base salaries guaranteed on opening day, but Buffalo wants to complete a deal quickly if the financial numbers are right.

"We'd sign him right now and play him on Sunday," said a high-ranking team official.

The current Buffalo starters, Coy Wire and Pierson Priloeau, are solid defenders but not in Milloy's class. The two did not have an interception between them in 2002.
--Len Pasquarelli  

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
Re:Patriots Cut Milloy
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 05:23:50 PM »
patriots are my team and im shocked..I met him a few times at school cuz he dates one of my old teachers

mikeOG

• Quadruple OG
  • Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 01:12:55 AM »
the patsies signed Rodney Harrison (33 old, used up and always injured) and cut Milloy (29 and one of the best) to save cap room. So basically they got older for a few million that wouldnt have effected them this year..way to go patsies LOLLL!!!

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "When you come to a fork in the road...Take it"
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 04:55:50 PM »
He just signed a deal with the Bills and he will be in the line up against New England this Sunday.