Author Topic: Violent J - Wizard of the Hood  (Read 880 times)

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
Violent J - Wizard of the Hood
« on: September 03, 2003, 12:14:28 PM »

Violent J - Wizard of the Hood

1. Intro
2. Let it rain…J starts his story from the point of view of a drug dealer chillin’ in his house while a tornado is brewing.  Simple beat and hook, which is fitting to the integrity of the track.  5/5
3. Yellow brick alleyway…This is what happened after J’s house was swept up by the tornado, now finding himself in Oz.  He gives a comical account of this new land.  Legs Diamond provides additional vocals.  5/5
4. Homies 2 smoke with…Can’t help but noddin’ your head to this beat.  It has a very cheerful vibe.  J first meets the scarecrow (Monoxide) here on his journey.  4.5/5
5. Thug whilin’…The beat turns a bit darker as Monoxide and J venture deeper into the forrest.  Here is where they encounter the Tinman (Madrox).  Catchy hook.  4.5/5
6. Horribly horrifying…Another track with basically simple production, which fits well to the content and delivery.  The trio meets up with the Lion (Blaze).  Nice chorus.  4.5/5
7. What U thinkin’ about?…The 4 stumble across a field of shrooms and begin to trip off of them.  They each describe their dreams, wishes and fantasies (hallucinations).  Funny song, with a base of sincerity to it.  Another tight choruses.  5/5
8. Shiny diamonds…J describes to the 3 characters he just met why he wants to go back home.  He speaks about life in general and how the simple things are taken for granted.  Basically saying there are always better days.  Nice, uplifting production.  5/5
9. The wizard’s palace…Silly ass high-tempo production that you can’t help but smile at.  The group finally reaches the wizard’s (Shaggy 2 Dope) palace.  Shaggy helps each of the characters out with their problems and sends J back home where the story ends.  4.5/5

Bonus Tracks:
10.   Axes swingin’…Average Violent J song, with decent production.  3.5/5
11.   Multiple myselves…Unique and hilarious track where all of J’s personalities are displayed.  Good production and hook.  4/5

OVERALL…5/5

Proclaimed as a “smoker’s record” in the intro by Violent J, it is indeed that.  Overall, it has an upbeat, pleasant feel that you can’t help but smile while listening to.  Highly unique album with great story-telling displayed.  J puts his own twist on the story “The Wizard of Oz”.  Each song flows into the next, so it sounds like it is one continuous song.  For an e.p., this couldn’t have been any better.  My only complaint is it should have ended at track 9 without the bonus tracks.

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
Re:Violent J - Wizard of the Hood
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 01:23:13 AM »
Brilliant album...

...one of the best and most origional concepts ive heard...

...great lyrical flow,very imaginative,some comedic lines in there.

Very pleased i got the chance to listen to this album  8)

peace

T.J.

• Wanksta
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my deck
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 01:28:58 AM »
hmm..... looks like i might have to listen to this

kick ass album

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 09:27:24 PM »
Brilliant album...

...one of the best and most origional concepts ive heard...

...great lyrical flow,very imaginative,some comedic lines in there.

Very pleased i got the chance to listen to this album  8)

peace

AGREED! altho i think i'd give it a 4.75/5. I like one of the bonus tracks, the second one ( name escapes me right now). Props on the review

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2003, 10:26:16 PM »
 8)

B.O.X.

• 'G'
  • BRILLIANCE PERSONIFIED
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 04:36:24 PM »
tight concept gotta give props for that
ONE OF THE ILLEST EVER, 4EVER ROLL'N WITH C.I. NIGGA

aftershockz

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2003, 06:23:14 AM »
very good album, bought it at The Gathering Of The Juggalos this past summer, its a shame when ICP performs they only do one song from that album.