Author Topic: Ghostface Killah - Bulletproof Wallets  (Read 544 times)

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Future Revolutionary Classic
Ghostface Killah - Bulletproof Wallets
« on: September 03, 2003, 06:29:16 PM »

Pros
Ghost and Rae, two of the nicest MC's

Cons
None.

The Bottom Line
Another Wu-banger from Ghostface Killah, Bulletproof Wallets is a worthy successor to Ironman, Cuban Linx and Supreme Clientele. Brilliant.

Full Review
How many MC’s could lay claim to having one classic album? Better still, how many could claim 2 classic albums? Not many is there? But if you didn't think of the Wu's Ghostface Killah, than you oughta slap yourself. Ghostface first hit us during the Clan's peak with the lyrical missile of 'Ironman', a brilliant album, that's only weakness was that it was arguably overshadowed by Raekwon's own classic 'Only built For Cuban Linx'. Of course on both of these albums, Ghostface and Raekwon teamed up. Than in the late 90's came 'Supreme Clientele', an album that just grew on the listener like a third leg, reminding all that the Wu were still a force.

So that's 2 classic albums and a leading guest role on another for Ghostface Killah (and i haven't even mentioned the Wu-Tang Clan albums), surely lightening can't strike again, I mean no MC could say they have three classic albums in a row. This album once again sees Ghostface combine with the Chef, some good guests, and great production, so how does it figure?

1. Intro - NA
Nice slow intro, with Ghostface preparing us to sit back and enjoy the ride.

2. Maxine - 4/5
Uptempo horn style beat. Ghostface comes out of the corner hard with a storytellin rhyme about domestics. There is so much character from Ghostface Killah and the way he lays his rhymes in this track, its just a treat to hear this premier MC spit.
"Word to aunt may i want mine, pulled out the nine
Get in the tub, he seen the hot iron pulled the plug out
He steamed pam brought it back to penny on good times
Back in the dollar bill he sniffed like six lines"

3. Flowers - 5/5
Heavy synthesized track with some cow bells in the background to lay depth. Method comes on and gives his usual high quality support barbs. And than Superb almost steals the show with a short emotional verse. Great MC'ing, great track.

4. Never Be The Same Again - 4.5/5
Slower R & B type joint, could of fell like 'All I Got Is You Pt II', but instead Ghost and Rae, lay some tight rhymes, to a calm beat, and Carl Thomas doesn't become too overbearing. This songs a winner, even those that dislike the Wu would be hard pressed to dislike this joint.

5. Teddy Skit - NA
More Ghost craziness.

6. Theodore - 4/5
This piano laden tune is whoa! Allah Mathematics out does himself. This is a pure street banger, with hard core verses, and anthem chorus.

7. Ghost Showers - 3/5
Interesting sample on this track, which starts slowly, and than Ghostface comes in loud. Braggadacio track, has an average chorus, but the bass keeps it above water.

8. Strawberry - 5/5
More brilliant production from Allah, the beat is gonna just get in your head and never leave. Killah Sin lays some strong verses in this track, that stops and starts. Ghostface is as tight as ever rapping about sexual experimenatation. This song is as original as ever, especially considering, sex songs have been played to death. Perfect.

9. The Forest - 5/5
Spin out beats that will bless the ears. Ghostface raps about cartoon characters, in a psychadelic world of drugs. Once again this is clever MC'ing at its finest, this track gets heavy rotation.
"Blows is big, olive oil was p****ed
The wolf was too, they murdered one of the pigs
He said, "what great big heat you have"
He replied, "f**k my gun i'll eat you fast"
He said, "what great big teeth you have"
"mothafu- you better look at all the beef you have"

10. The Juks - 4.5/5
"Pop your collar" try to escape this track without singing that non-stop. A heavier street track, with more of that classic Ghostface storytellin. Tight.

11. Walking Thru The Darkness - 5/5
Owners of the excellent Ghost Dog soundtrack will be familiar with most of this track. But instead of the talented Tekitha singing her gothic soulful rhymes alone, Ghost begins the track with a motivating verse that will pump you up no end. I loved this song originally, but now with Ghostface its unbelievable. Rza shows why he is one of greatest producers ever. Very Dope.
"Yo, yo, yo, the new president america
Flash money, act funny
Party, ride the bubbly
Goons and thugs, double hennessey
One shot to the nose, double energy
I don wallabees, f**king remember me
Guess who's back? the w embassy!"

12. Jealousy - 3/5
More of a skit than a song, as Ghostface aims at those jealous of him.

13. The Hilton - 4/5
Pumpin beat, as Ironman gives another story about the life of a criminal. The production is tight, if a little early 90's sounding.

14. Ice - 3.5/5
Real Wu-Tang sounding beat, take the listener back to the Ironman album days. Ghostface keeps coming hard on this short track.

15. Love Session - 2.5/5
Love type track with Ruff Endz, is the most mainstream sounding track on tha album, but unfortunateley also the weakest. Feels a little out of place on a Ghostface album. Raekwon however spits a really nice verse.

16. Street Chemistry - 4/5
Alchemist gives another hard Wu style beat, that could've come straight from the Rza himself. Ghost's fist verse though is average, but Raekwon spits fire with some strong Wu material.

Ghostface Killah has got to be the most underated MC going around, this is the third time he has given us a classic album. Sure some people say that he raps about nothing, but that is unfair, this album has more variety and deep lines than 95% of the stuff coming out. Raekwon provides an excellent counterpoint to Ghost, just like when they combined on Ironman and Cuban Linx.

This album seems to flow at a more uptemp pace than Supreme Clientele, which makes it a little easier to get into from the get go. People that were off put by Ironman's first two efforts, because of the heavy lyrisism and hard beats, may find this more to there liking. True Ghostface and Wu fans need not fret though, as this album still has its fair share of hard beats, deep lines, but also that pschitzophrenic feeling that only the Ghostdini can deliver. This is one of those rare albums (not rare for Ghostface though) that you will enjoy listening right thru from start to end. Heavily recommended.

Recommended
Yes

Great Music to Play While: Getting ready to go out

This album recieved 3 Mics in the Source.....BS
Go support him and go buy it!

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
Re:Ghostface Killah - Bulletproof Wallets
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 01:14:41 AM »
Nic review bro!

Very informative...

...i think this album was slept on...some if wu's finest work on there !

Pe@cE

^_^

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 11:08:42 PM »

...i think this album was slept on...some if wu's finest work on there !

Pe@cE

I disagree,I felt one or two tracks on this album,But I would never recomend anyone buy it.I think it's wack.

IKON

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Pharoahe - God's Gift to Vocabulary BIOTCH!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 05:15:35 PM »
this album isnt that bad, it just doesnt measure up to his first two

Supreme Clientele
Ironman

but this cd is still dope and worth picking up IMO 8)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 04:13:12 AM »
this album isnt that bad, it just doesnt measure up to his first two

Supreme Clientele
Ironman

but this cd is still dope and worth picking up IMO 8)