Author Topic: Is it *NATURE* or *NURTURE* ?  (Read 233 times)

Trauma-san

Re:Is it *NATURE* or *NURTURE* ?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2003, 03:26:27 PM »
Nurture overcomes nature.

People have natural tendencies that they are born with.  A simple example is babies tend to cling, and suck, and things like that, because it helps them survive.  There are also psychological tendencies that babies are born with.

However, none of them are so strong that they can't be overcome by Nurture.  Ted Bundy's son, raised in a good environment, would be a good guy, even against whatever tendencies he has.

Also, if someone is born a good person, and raised in hell, they could turn into a pretty bad person, overcoming their positive nature with the negative nurture they have received.  

That's my opinion, out of everything I've seen in my lifetime with people.  

Eidolon_Ravi

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2003, 04:32:13 AM »
Nurture overcomes nature.
People have natural tendencies that they are born with.  A simple example is babies tend to cling, and suck, and things like that, because it helps them survive.  There are also psychological tendencies that babies are born with.
However, none of them are so strong that they can't be overcome by Nurture.  Ted Bundy's son, raised in a good environment, would be a good guy, even against whatever tendencies he has.
Also, if someone is born a good person, and raised in hell, they could turn into a pretty bad person, overcoming their positive nature with the negative nurture they have received.  
That's my opinion, out of everything I've seen in my lifetime with people.  

There's sumthing called instincts..

there's an old saying that *u bathe a street dog and try to domesticate it.. but the moment it gets freed from ur grip.. it'll go straight to the puddle and make itself all dirty*

Of cousre this is pretty extreme.. but its not altogether false..

In the midst of an extreme emotions, when all ur logical faculties fail to function.. ur actions are solely driven by ur *genes*, the tendencies u have inherited from ur forefathers.. And this is why the terms like....

*royal temper* etc. have ben coined...

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2003, 04:45:53 AM »
Has someone just started doing a sociology course?

There are a lot of relevant theories and texts on this...i studied it myself a few years ago...i believe that of course nature plays a part but for the most its nuture that wins (even when you dont want it to)..see history of violence, abuse,racism,likes / dislikes etc etc...in extreme situations is when the nature of the person can come to light and take over any held ideals etc of the individual...