Author Topic: your fav type/era of rap  (Read 283 times)

|JEM|ILL|

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • ...Compare to me, PLEASE...
Re:your fav type/era of rap
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2003, 01:54:33 PM »
91-95...

King Of NYC Wars... Nas, Biggie, Raekwon, Jay Hovy, Big L...ill shit...
record[/font]
18-2
[/size][/font]

[/color]

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2003, 02:35:55 PM »
Deathrow records era lets put it that way 92-96 was amazing

madkilla

• 'G'
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2003, 03:01:38 PM »
yup,
early 90's was when shit was poppin.  if i had to pick tho, i'd say the G-Funk shit that was coming from the west (Dre, Snoop, ATL, Alkaholiks, Cube) and the native tongues vibe that was in the east (tribe, de la, pete rock, beatnuts).  someone once told me hip hop died in 95 and i would not totally agree with that, but i also have a lot of new shit that sits there and collects dust.  today it seems like lyrics are secondary and beats are priority.  i don't really mind cuz if a beat is hot, it's hot, but i like to see mc's have some kind of purpose in rappin.  how much longer can fools spit about liquor, bud, bitches, and pimpin.  shits getting old and i don't wanna be supporting anymore of these no talent mofo's so they can make videos with their chains, cars, and weak lyrics.   i feel that hip hop is going to have to make some kind of progression or transformation because if it keeps going this way it ain't gonna be pretty.  it's like you have artists you like and you stay loyal to, but 3 albums later your thinking damn that shits whack in comparison to their first joint.  maybe i'm just getting old.  i can't stand rap like Cash Money, Bone Crusha, Eastside Boys, Triple 6 Mafia, etc., fools are just sitting there screaming garbage over shitty beats, IMO.  i kinda dig some of the shit the neptunes are doin, at least it's melodic and catchy.  although i would disagree with some of the people they choose to work with, but i ain't gonna playa hate, money is money.  like the roots said, "ya'll ain't sayin nothin new".  i also think a lot of cats are overrated, but i won't get into that cuz it will probably cause a lot of controversy.  even rock music today sucks azz, buncha one hit wonders.  peace!!

it is kinda depressing to think that the best period of hip hop has passed, but at least some of us were around for it.  hopefully in the future someone will flip the script and change the game.  
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 03:05:11 PM by madkilla »

TRu Word

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2003, 03:40:49 PM »
93-99
Illmatic,doggystyle,chronic,southernplayalisitc...,ready to die,reasonable doubt,me against the world,all eyez on me,life after death,hardcore,ATLiens,doggfood,Aqumini,
muddy waters,36 chambers, wu tang forever, chronic 2001, theres a few more but you get the picture.  

Has anybody noticed even titles have changed?  It used to be a title that was gritty like Ready To Die, The Chronic
Muddy Waters  Now the titles are soft like Come Home with Me, From Me to You, Welcome to the House, Nellyville, The Eminem Show, Cheers,  tons of more candy ass titles.  
But yeah Hip-hop has changed from that time period but you still get some gems every now and then (Blueprint, The Fix,The Eastsidaz), its just more candy now everyone wants to be in love and thats fine but every song every single is a love single, Nobody makes a singe thats not female related or club related, well nas wit made you look, but he still talked about ladies but it wasnt all soft and shit.

One

Active Ingredient

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • wake up in tha mornin with my lucky charms cereal
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2003, 04:09:54 PM »
92-96

nuff said

"I keep it gangsta for the kids" -Goldie Loc

eS El Duque

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2003, 04:29:48 PM »
i just started listening to hip-hop around 1999/2000....so i gotta say those two years were great  8)

em's and dre's album dropped those years i think...that got me hooked to hip-hop...eminem lead me to canibus --> went on to listen to more underground shit

dre lead me too ---> NWA ---> eazy-e ---> snoop dogg --> 2pac ---> biggie ---> nas ---> jay-z ---> mobb deep ---> BIG Pun...and so on ;D...all started with dre and eminem for me lol
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 04:33:59 PM by eS El Duque »

Nightfall

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2003, 08:43:20 AM »
G-Funk shit that was coming from the west (Dre, Snoop, ATL, Alkaholiks, Cube)

are u outta ya fucken mind?! tha alkaholiks g-funk?! ROFL
they were too jazzy for that shit

Tha Alkaholiks & G-Funk are 2 different things

smerlus

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2003, 09:34:55 AM »
i like i like 98-2003 cause i can really relate to this music....when the night starts, i'm usually "ridin spinners" in my bently when i go "in da club"...tell my homies to "pass the Courvoisier" caise i ain't "neva scarred" then i find out "where the party at" and i head out "right thurr" cause "i'm always on time"

see where i'm getting at? i can really relate to all this shit

::)

dr83mad

• Lil Geezy
  • dr.mad in da house!
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2003, 10:56:02 AM »
My favorite era of rap is 1988-1996. G-Funk and only WestCoast.

www.zone.ee/dr83mad
MAD PRODUCTION 83 shots

www.zone.ee/dr83mad

I'll kill everyone who want kill me.

N-Sane Brain

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2003, 10:59:08 AM »
I think I choose '92-'96. Especially the sound from the Eastcoast at that time was never reached again.

...I am afraid that I have already heard the best rap I am ever goin to hear in my life...

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2003, 11:21:33 AM »
listen some modern day underground shit, and say this again

Well most underground hip-hop is garbage to begin with so it doesn't matter how they format thier albums.  The underground artists that I do listen to and like are okay about keeping the skits and guest apperances down but they still have long albums.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2003, 11:22:27 AM by C2Knuckles »

Nightfall

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2003, 11:46:31 AM »
listen some modern day underground shit, and say this again

Well most underground hip-hop is garbage to begin with.

LMAO, uh huh, ok