Author Topic: UK - Cannabis policing relaxed  (Read 135 times)

Don Seer

UK - Cannabis policing relaxed
« on: September 12, 2003, 08:18:14 AM »
Cannabis policing relaxed

Most cannabis users will not now face arrest
Most cannabis users caught by police will in future escape with a warning and confiscation of the drug.
Under new police guidelines, cannabis users will only be arrested in certain aggravating circumstances.

These could include smoking in public, having the drug around children or for being persistent offenders.

But critics say the new rules will cause widespread confusion, with many mistakenly thinking the drug has been made legal.

And mental health campaigners were concerned they would send out the message that cannabis was risk-free.

The guidance does not specify an amount users can claim is for their own consumption.

But anyone under 17 found using cannabis will still be arrested, under the guidelines drawn up by the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo).

Officers dealing with cannabis possession will still be required to record the incident as a crime.

And users will still be arrested in areas where local residents have complained.

CANNABIS AND THE LAW
Cannabis is due to be downgraded from a category B to a category C drug in January
From then on, people will not usually be arrested for possession
But it will remain an illegal substance
Some circumstances could still lead to arrest - for instance smoking in public, having the drug around children or for being habitual users
Under-17s using cannabis will still be arrested
Maximum sentence for dealing will remain 14 years

Did the trial run work in Brixton?  
The guidelines apply to police forces in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

They will be implemented early next year, when cannabis is expected to be reclassified from a category B to a category C drug.

Government ministers and police chiefs said the guidelines would allow officers to concentrate on dealers, and on more harmful drugs such and heroin and cocaine.

"I think that's an important message to get out there," said Caroline Flint MP, the Home Office's drugs spokeswoman.

"People who deal in drugs, whether it's cannabis, or crack cocaine or ecstasy... these are serious crimes against individuals and our communities and they will be penalised heavily."

full story here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3100854.stm

So its a slap on the wrist, the loss of ya weed and ya on the way :)

HHH

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "hello!!"
Re:UK - Cannabis policing relaxed
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 08:24:55 AM »
yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee  8)

i bet the pigs smoke some of the weed they confiscate  ::) "free weed" !!

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 08:26:11 AM »
Yeah, but they'll only allow you to have something like an 8th or else you'll be considered a dealer. What about peeps like me who like to buy an ounce at a time, all for personal consumption? (i guess it will probably mean i have to start cutting down on the amount i blaze, which is probably a good thing). Stil this topic deserves a  8) or two.
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

HHH

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "hello!!"
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 08:34:09 AM »
Stil this topic deserves a  8) or two.

8)

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 08:38:12 AM »
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

What i mean? peep that thread about tommy chong getting busted for just selling bongs.

Man I can walk into several places here in town and walk out with a real nice bong 8)

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 10:14:59 AM »
I'm glad they relaxed the law a little bit.  It was kind of rediculous.  The only people weed smokers generally are harming are themselves, and if they're not smoking in public, I don't think it's any of the govt.'s business what somebody chooses to do in their home, unless it's extreme, or harming someone else.  

budsmokeronly

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 03:08:02 PM »
damn all u UK peeps are lucky.  soon it will be totally legal there and u guys will be able to grow it yourselves.  Its gonna be awhile before it will be legalized here in the states.

Don Seer

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 03:47:59 PM »
I think its gonna be more than a while...

that shit about tommy chong is crazy.. cant even sell bongs?!