Author Topic: DMX - The Grand Champ  (Read 963 times)

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Future Revolutionary Classic
DMX - The Grand Champ
« on: September 17, 2003, 02:15:04 PM »
Sicknin_Ent's Review of DMX's The Grand Champ, NOT MY REVIEW

1. Dog(Intro)
A piano riddled rhythm with an old timer talking about his love for pit bulls.  X steps onto the track and spits in pit bull fashion about his mindstate, adversarys and what he would do to them.  Great track and an even better opener.  I think this track describes DMX down to the X.
4.5/5

2. My Life feat Chinky
This song reminds me of something off of Ja Rule's last LP.  I like the overall setup and the 4 bar drops.  This seems more like an outro or intro to the album than a song.  The girl Chinky does alot of more on the song than X.  Has sort of an early 90s rock vibe to it.
2.5/5

3. Where The Hood At
The lead single to the album.  I love this song for the outstanding and continuing energy throughout the song.  The Swiss Beats intro shouldve been left on the album version though.  Lyrically, the first two verses are good but...that last verse.  When X starts using lines like "I bust in your eyes so you could see me coming," etc is so tired and played out during 1999 hip hop battles.  The production is serious too, it blends very well with DMX's shit talking at the end.
3.5/5

4. Dogs Out
The production and vocal sample is on the song is hot.  That second verse is lovely.  This seemed like an experimental song but I like it.  Its nothing more than your average "I'll fuck you up" DMX track.  He threw a shot at Ja at the end.  "When the dog is out, bitch ass niggas get bit, or fucked one or the two...and Im not Ja Rule."
3/5

5. Get It On The Floor
Swiss' new production style does not really match DMX's flow and voice.  I liked the first 3 seconds of the beat but after that I think it got sour.  The chorus is kind of weak but the the minor changes in the beat is hot.  Dont get me wrong - the beat is hot but it just doesnt match X.
2/5

6. Come Prepared(Skit)

7. Shot Down feat 50 Cent & Styles
Fire.  Straight gutter raps with no topic but getting shot.  50 came correct, X bought the fire and Styles showed a new flow for a few seconds.  Overall - Styles did the best on the joint "Niggas like me might rush your apartment, blood stains'll fuck up your carpet, brain on your windows, I smell murder everytime that the wind blow...I dont want the throne or the crown I aint sell enough, you cant have the jail or the ground you aint in hell enough."  I wouldve loved the hear this song a few years back when 50 wasnt so simplistic and X was at his peak.  There was one line in the song that 50 said that I think he should've left out - "Jay taught me how to flow, they shot him in the head"':('.
4/5

8. Bring The Noize
The song opens with X chanting "I smell pussy" over a horn laced beat.  He delivers his lyrics with a sped up flow from his norm, average thug lyrics though.  The energy flows strong thoughout the entire song but there is no real subject matter.  The chorus is strong but not strong enough.  Doesnt seem like he put much effort into the song.
2.5/5

9. Untouchable feat Syleena Johnson, Cross, Infa-red, Sheek & Drag-On
A nice mellow beat with Syleena Johnson on the chorus in "Good Fellas" or mafia style.  I dont like DMX's verse on the song.  His flow seems too forced and just off beat.  But its a real throwup to see who did the best on the track.  Cross really surprised me, I never heard him spit that hard.  Infa-Red really shitted on here too "Dont wear your watch around me nigga I take time."  Sheek showed his ass as well, a real relaxed flow spitting toward industry pretty boys.  But...Drag-On - out the window, he really killed the song.  One thing I noticed is that he has a Jay Z/Elliot Ness flow but I was really feeling what he was saying.  Good song despite DMX's weakness.
4/5

10. **** Yall
You wanna see a fight in a party? Throw this song on.  Its an Ante Up/Wildout style track.  A large chorus recites "Fuck Yall Niggas! Man Fuck You Too!"  Another song where X raps to some imaginary person or just random rhymes.  At the end of the song DMX continues with "Fuck It, Fuck It"  This song should not had been on this album at all.
2/5

11. Radio Skit pt 1
The radio takeover.

12. We're Back feat Eve & Jadakiss
Whoa this is straight flames.  Just Blaze laced this beat.  A very light vocal sample with canary keyboard sounds.  DMX spits the random rhymes but they were hard.  Eve comes correct indirectly talking to Foxy & Kim.  Everybody does their own rendition of the chorus which was interesting.  Who the fuck yall want? Jadakiss?  He killed this song.  "Hated by many, contronted by none, I trust two guys, one is god and one is my gun...Kiss"  This song gives me that old Ryde or Die Vol 1 feeling when everybody was hungry.  
4/5

13. Ruff Radio pt 2
Demanding the DJ plays the songs

14. Rob All Night
Uptempo beat in the recreation of "It's All Good" off of  Flesh Of My Flesh.  A real minimalist beat with a few added features during the chorus.  DMX threw a shot a Ja Rule "98% of the industry is faggots, Stuart Little niggas don't want no static."  The song doesnt really move me but its one of those songs that you have to see X perform.  Its real energetic but it could've been used for a soundtrack or something.
2.5/5

15. We Go Hard feat Cam'ron
Wow, how times have changed.  Wow, how people change with a little bit of change in they pocket.  X and Cam collaborated previously on their mixtape smash "Pull It" in 98 which was a banger.  But this track shows how the two both are way below their debuts.  Cam had no type of introduction to his verse, it seems like he just jumped on the track out of nowhere.  A hot Heatmakerz beat went to waste.  DMX only bought energy to the track with his adlibs and doubles.  He spits a wack line in the direction of homo rappers "...I would tell you to suck my dick but you might suck it."  Poor effort to bring back a raw 98 vibe.
3/5

16. We Bout To Blow feat Big Stan
DMX hooks up with his old Vacant Lot family.  Dame Grease laced X with a horn filled beat over very light drums.  This song gets my head nodding for some reason.  An uptempo beat seemed crafted for Big Stan's liking.  And he gives this song the business with his raps about the music industry and so many clones.  "They flow so sick, getting excited - yeah they flow so sick it's called the Young Hov virus..."  Big Stan.  That line right there made my day.  I usually dont like DMX's uptempo tracks because of his lack of depth but I love this song.
3.5/5

17. The Rain
Very hot sample based introduction to the song.  Alot of rappers speaking on rain lately but I think DMX did it the best with this song.  The song repeats "Now I know, only I can stop the rain," with X spitting 4 bars in between each rendition.  A real positive song full of affirmations that can be used for daily living.  Serious song with alot of feeling and emotion in it.  DMX does some harmonizing toward the end.  The bass line drops out and a storm effect develops.  Very good song.
4/5

18. Gotta Go Skit
A build up to the Monica track

19. Don't Gotta Go Home feat Monica
The song was featured on Monica's last album.  Its about a man that has a wife but he still has a mistress on the side.  Its a real life scenario that some of us may know about.  The beat is more suttle when Monica is singing and its mroe rugged when X spits on it.  The chorus is hot, I see this is as the next single for both albums.
4/5

20. Ayo Kato feat Magic & Val
One of my favorites off this album.  I laughed when I first heard it on the end of the Where The Hood At video but now that I listen to it - its real hot.  A spanish based sample filled with a variety of instruments.  The song is filled with emotion, dedicated to his lost friend Kato - he lends his hand out to Kato's wife and kids.  The flute on the chorus brings alot of reality to the song.
4.5/5

21. Thank You feat Patti Labelle
You know every album X does there is one song he does that in reflects his religious outlook.  I don't think there are too many rappers that can pull this off.  Only a few rappers can even mention Patti's name on a song better yet DMX performs with her.  Very hot track, uptempo gospel vibe.  Although its extremely hot, X gets his point across with Labelle's vocals to back him up.
4/5

22. Prayer  
The prayer is a continuation of the Thank You instrumental.  When I listened to it non stop I thought this was part of the song.

23. On Top feat Big Stan
This track seems like a pre-Def Jam demo track.  It shouldnt had even been on the album.  X brings a wack chorus, but Big Stan's verse was on point.  Stan's flow is real crazy on here, I see a future in his career if he stays local.  
2/5

Overall: 3/5

Loved
    • The non-stop energy and feeling X provided on this album is like non-other.
    • Overall production provided by Grease and Swiss.
    • DMX bought alot of energy on this album
    • Favorite Tracks: Thank You, Ayo Kato, We're Back, Dog Intro
      Hated
      • DMX's stagnant style from Its Dark & Hell Is Hot to now.
      • The man's lack of depth and topics on certain tracks is just rediculous.
      • It seemed as if every other song had a subliminal message to Ja Rule.
      • The attempts to create party bangers was not called for - but I respect the effort.
      • The track list shouldve been different, On Top shouldnt had been the last song.

Some may say that I took long to write this review but it was very difficult.  For some strange reason, I could not listen to X's ranting and raving for more than 4 songs at a time.  I would listen to a few songs and just get frustrated with the album.  DMX is one of my favorites of all time but I dont really think it was because of the albums.  Just like Tupac, X is one of emotions who fans come to love more for the actions, and opinions that he has.  Even though the album was sub-par I respect the effort and is happy to see he bowed out gracefully.

This album recieved 3 Mics in the Source.....BS
      Go support him and go buy it!

Jome

Re:DMX - The Grand Champ
      « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 05:51:42 PM »
            Hated
           * It seemed as if every other song had a subliminal message to Ja Rule.
          * The attempts to create party bangers was not called for - but I respect the effort.

LoL.. I don't really agree much with the review..
      The only thing dragging down the album is 3-4 tracks, and DMX's exaggerated homophoby..

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
      • Muthafuckin' Don!
      « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 07:16:30 AM »
            Hated
           * It seemed as if every other song had a subliminal message to Ja Rule.
          * The attempts to create party bangers was not called for - but I respect the effort.

LoL.. I don't really agree much with the review..
      The only thing dragging down the album is 3-4 tracks, and DMX's exaggerated homophoby..

LOL word.. I give it a 4.25/5 i'll maybe post a review later on...

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 10:24:08 PM »
       8)

KVB

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 10:27:03 AM »
      01. Dog (Intro)   4.5/5
      02. My Life   4.5/5
      03. Where The Hood At?   4.25/5
      04. Dog's Out   4.75/5
      05. Get It On The Floor f/ Swizz Beatz  4.5/5
      06. Come Prepared (Skit)
      07. Shot Down f/ 50 Cent & Styles  4/5
      08. Bring The Noize   3.75/5
      09. Untouchable f/ Sheek, Syleena Johnson, Infa-Red, Cross & Drag-On  4.25/5
      10. Fuck Y'all   4/5
      11. Ruff Radio (Skit)
      12. We're Back f/ Eve & Jadakiss   4.5/5
      13. Ruff Radio 2 (Skit)
      14. Rob All Night (If I'm Gonna Rob)   3/5
      15. We Go Hard f/ Cam'ron  4.25/5
      16. We 'Bout To Blow f/ Big Stan  3.75/5
      17. The Rain   4.25/5
      18. Gotta Go (Skit)
      19. Don't Gotta Go Home f/ Monica  4.5/5
      20. A'Yo Kato f/ Magic & Val  4.75/5
      21. Thank You   4/5
      22. The Prayer V
      23. On Top f/ Big Stan  3/5

Dope album, and a worthy final effort in the rap game for DMX. I would give it 4.25 mics, and it's very close to 4.5. Album of the year, so far.

Now if anyone would just talk X out of his retirement plans... :P

Jome

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 09:22:11 PM »
      01. Dog (Intro)   4.5/5
      02. My Life   4.5/5
      03. Where The Hood At?   4.25/5
      04. Dog's Out   4.75/5
      05. Get It On The Floor f/ Swizz Beatz  4.5/5
      06. Come Prepared (Skit)
      07. Shot Down f/ 50 Cent & Styles  4/5
      08. Bring The Noize   3.75/5
      09. Untouchable f/ Sheek, Syleena Johnson, Infa-Red, Cross & Drag-On  4.25/5
      10. Fuck Y'all   4/5
      11. Ruff Radio (Skit)
      12. We're Back f/ Eve & Jadakiss   4.5/5
      13. Ruff Radio 2 (Skit)
      14. Rob All Night (If I'm Gonna Rob)   3/5
      15. We Go Hard f/ Cam'ron  4.25/5
      16. We 'Bout To Blow f/ Big Stan  3.75/5
      17. The Rain   4.25/5
      18. Gotta Go (Skit)
      19. Don't Gotta Go Home f/ Monica  4.5/5
      20. A'Yo Kato f/ Magic & Val  4.75/5
      21. Thank You   4/5
      22. The Prayer V
      23. On Top f/ Big Stan  3/5

Dope album, and a worthy final effort in the rap game for DMX. I would give it 4.25 mics, and it's very close to 4.5. Album of the year, so far.

Now if anyone would just talk X out of his retirement plans... :P

I just about agree..

I can't see why you rate "Dogs out" and "Untouchable" better than "Shot down" though..  :-\

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
      • Muthafuckin' Don!
      • The DoN MeGa
      « Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003, 06:59:13 AM »
      lol i liked this album...havent checked for dmx in time!

but as it was waved in my face thought how can i resist...

..i loved the sound...some great tracks on there

...some of the lines were a bit weak...only a couple tunes bring it down..

...imo overall 8.5 - 9 / 10

Don Breezio

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 11:42:17 PM »

word lol...but that first verse in where the hood at is hilarious "how you gon' explain fuckin a man? even if we squash the beef i aint touchin ya hand!"

"to those who aint been to jail thats the cat with the kool aid on his lips & pumps"

lol

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
      • Muthafuckin' Don!
      « Reply #8 on: October 11, 2003, 12:21:46 PM »
      ^^ LoL ye.

AbbyNinja

• Lil Geezy
      « Reply #9 on: October 17, 2003, 05:10:55 AM »
      If you went to the grand champ concert there's no way in hell you couldn't like it, besides da point most of da tracks on the album are tight esspecially where da hood at, and i know that it's not everyones favourite track off da album but when he sang it at the show da crowd went fuckin wild, anyway man is a G and so are da ruff ryders.
       8)
      Some mother fuckers are always trying to ice skate up hill. - Blade

Casper

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2003, 11:50:48 AM »
      nice review too bad the album sux  8)