Author Topic: This new book I read  (Read 105 times)

Trauma-san

This new book I read
« on: September 21, 2003, 08:36:28 AM »
I just read this book, and the guy makes the point that one of the most basic needs a human being has is to feel important.  He says it's almost as strong as the hunger drive.  He also says it's what seperates us from the animals.

He contends that the only reason Leonardo Da Vinci painted, was so he could get famous for it, the only reason musicians play music is so someone will complement them, or pay them for it, the only reason war heros go to war is for the respect, etc.  

He says that it's not all just basic ego, it's just the human desire & drive to succeed.  At EVERYTHING.  

According to him, there's many ways people do this.  For instance, if you have a job, you can get much satisfaction out of being really, really good at your job; because the good job you do, if recognized by anybody, makes you feel important.

President McKinley's wife used to act like she was an invalid, so she'd feel important.  Here she was, married to the most important man in the world, and she'd do things like lie in bed, insisting she had a headache, so he would massage her back, or shoulders, or whatever.  Sometimes she'd do it for hours, and make him miss important meetings, etc.  It made her feel important that she could have the most important man in the world all to herself.

Some people go insane to find a feeling of importance.  He told the story of a woman who was married in the 30's, and all she really wanted was to feel wanted, important to her husband, to have children, etc.  Her Husband was a total asshole, he wouldn't even eat dinner with her, made her wait on her upstairs, etc. never gave her an ounce of compliment... the woman started imagining that she was really married to a famous actor, and was eventually so out of touch with reality that she was committed.  She used to tell the doctors "I had a baby last night!!!" because in her fantasy mind, she had children every evening.  

Even people who give to charities like the feeling of compassion it gives them, it makes them feel important that they're able to provide something for less fortunate people.  

Bank Robbers and Killers often have a desire to be famous, usually, when they're caught, the first thing they want is to see newspaper accounts, what people are saying about them, etc.  It's how they feel important. John Dillenger used to run into people's homes and say "I'm John Dillenger!!! I'm not gonna hurt you, but I'm Dillinger!!!!"

Teenagers join gangs to feel important.  They feel useless, and a gang offers them a family where they're respected and loved.  

He contends it's how you manifest your desire to feel important that shows what kind of a person you are.  

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
Re:This new book I read
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2003, 08:51:27 AM »
interesting,to say the least.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

UnstoppableForce

Re:This new book I read
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 10:23:42 AM »
Makes sense