Author Topic: Duke Fraternity Accused of Racism After Mexican Themed Party  (Read 378 times)

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Duke Fraternity Accused of Racism After Mexican Themed Party
« on: September 24, 2003, 05:58:43 PM »
http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/...656&cachetime=5

Rally denounces racism after Duke fraternity party

The Associated Press

Students, professors and administrators at Duke University held a rally against racism after a fraternity party that Latino students say demeaned their heritage.

Fraternity members from Sigma Chi designed fliers that looked like expired green cards and built a mock border patrol checkpoint at the dorm's door for the Sept. 13 party. The chapter's Web site also posted an image of a drunk Mexican with a beer to promote the party, but the chapter president said Tuesday it wasn't authorized by fraternity leaders.

The party was held three days before Mexican Independence Day.

"Everything that I am - my family, customs, culture and language - was violated," said Sandra Sanchez, who helped organize the demonstration Monday at Duke Chapel. "The stereotypes of drunk Mexicans and border crossing was hurtful.

"Durham and the United States knows the importance of Latinos, so why doesn't Duke?" Sanchez asked.

Several speakers told an audience of about 75 people that the party inflamed their long-held belief that Duke has ignored its Latino students - which make up about 7 percent of the student body - and faculty and staff.

A few members of the fraternity watched the demonstration at the steps of Duke Chapel.

Sigma Chi president Marc Mattioli said the fraternity was talking with leaders of the Latino community. Together, they will develop some sort of education program for fraternity members and Duke community, he said, declining to elaborate.

"(The party) was designed to be a lighthearted celebration of the Mexican tourism scene," Mattioli wrote Thursday in the letters to the editor section of Duke's student newspaper, The Chronicle.

Mattioli said the Web image of the Mexican was on its site for several days and was removed when he learned about it. He said the image was created by the site's Webmaster and wasn't approved by the chapter.

"In no way was it intended to imply a political or social statement about Mexico, Mexican-Americans, immigrants or immigration policy," he said. "Obviously, it did not come off as such."

Mattioli, who said he is Latino himself, apologized and said the fraternity was not racist.

Some students criticized Duke's Event Services, which approved the party in advance. They also demanded better recruitment and support for Latino students and faculty, and called for the development of a strong Latino studies program.

In response, Duke President Nan Keohane said officials would look at party registrations more closely now, but she cautioned against using "Big Brother" tactics to regulate campus life.

Woodrow

Re:Duke Fraternity Accused of Racism After Mexican Themed Party
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 06:04:34 PM »
Sigma Chi on the U of O campus are the same type of guys. Fraternities vary from campus to campus tho and I know some stand up Sigma Chi's from other campuses. Don't genralize the whole greek system because of the actions of one Fraternity.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 06:06:12 PM by Engel-Rock AKA Dances With Bitch »

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 06:06:47 PM »
Sigma Chi on the U of O campus are the same type of guys. Fraternities vary from campus to campus tho and I know some stand up Sigma Chi's from other campuses. Don't genralize the whole greek system because of the actions of one Fraternity.

He does the same thing with people of a certain religion.

.:DayGoStyLz:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 10:35:47 PM »

yah i found that last comment by Engel fukin hilarious also...considering other posts...LOL!!

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 12:55:01 PM »
wow mexicans go to duke?

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 03:46:22 PM »
wow mexicans go to duke?

Yeah, not all of them sell oranges like you.

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 03:49:05 PM »

yah i found that last comment by Engel fukin hilarious also...considering other posts...LOL!!

Engel saying to CWalker that he shouldn't generalize a whole group for the actions of a small number.

Imagine Hitler telling Stalin "Ay you know Stalin, the way you're treating people really isn't nice"

LMAO @ these 2

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2003, 07:33:31 PM »
wow mexicans go to duke?

Yeah, not all of them sell oranges like you.

actually i sell avacados...

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Woodrow

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2003, 04:39:08 AM »
You know your argument is running thin when you compare me to Stalin and Hitler.  ::)

I reccomend you go back and check my threads then reconsider your statemnet...

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2003, 09:12:11 AM »
You know your argument is running thin when you compare me to Stalin and Hitler.  ::)

*checked*

no need to reconsider...

dexter

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2003, 11:46:03 AM »
F**K  DUKE!

Woodrow

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2003, 12:16:36 PM »

*checked*

no need to reconsider...

Are you really that Ignorant that you need to compare me with some of the most horrible human beings in the history of the world just because you don't agree with me?

Guess so.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2003, 07:28:01 PM »

*checked*

no need to reconsider...

Are you really that Ignorant that you need to compare me with some of the most horrible human beings in the history of the world just because you don't agree with me?

Guess so.

im talking about the statement about, u generalizing other groups based on the actions of a small few...and thinking thats ok. But then, tell someone else not to judge a whole group...based on only a small few. Thats what is funny to me.

So, if it makes u feel better....no, i dont think u are Hitler or Stalin. But your beliefs ARE bullshit....just like theirs. So u guys have something in common lol

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2003, 09:42:19 AM »
Engel, I didn't mean to say that you were as bad as Hitler or Stalin. It was an analogy portraying hypocricy. You telling CWalker to not judge a whole group by the actions of a few is just PURE IRONY. That was the point of the analogy, the irony.