Author Topic: Who is Kokopelli, you ask!  (Read 88 times)

PinkTowelGirl

Who is Kokopelli, you ask!
« on: September 28, 2003, 11:15:10 PM »

Don Seer

Re:Who is Kokopelli, you ask!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 06:38:56 AM »

yeah a playa for sure  "Legend has it, everyone in the village would sing and dance throughout the night when they heard Kokopelli play his flute. The next morning, every maiden in the village would be with child." LOL

reminds me a lot of the greek/roman god Pan.

compare to pan...

personally i like the funky lil dude :)

PinkTowelGirl

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 06:47:00 AM »
lol... well they say that even though he was a southwest influence for the Hopi's ... other tribes had him high in there culture as well.... i read i believe in one of the sites.. that for 3000 years ... he has been known all over the world.. and just not in the southwest.. you'll find the same little dude in African tribes.. and islander nations ... as well,...

He is the OG playa ... no doubt...

PinkTowelGirl

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 07:03:59 AM »
Kokopelli Facts

Kokopelli, the humped-back flute player, is a symbol depicted throughout the southwest on rock art and pottery. He is regarded as the universal symbol of fertility for all life, be it crops, hopes, dreams, or love.
In Pueblo myths, he carries in his hump, seeds, babies, and blankets to offer to maidens that he seduces. In upper Rio Grande pueblos he wandered between villages with bags of songs on his back. As a fertility symbol, he was welcome during corn-planting season. At night, while the people slept, he roamed the corn fields playing his flute. The next morning villagers would arise to find the corn four feet tall and Kokopelli vanished.

Some legends suggest that he was an ancient toltac trader who traveled routes between Mexico, the west coast, the southwest, and possibly even as far as the eastern areas of the US. In Zuni culture, Kokopelli is known to be an important rain priest who brings in the rain. Known as Ololowishkya, he is shown with a festive hairstyle, displaying a large phallus and is always seen with a flute.

this comes from:
http://www.geocities.com/kokopellikrazy14/facts.html