Author Topic: What's your Car Tax like out there in Cali?  (Read 396 times)

Trauma-san

What's your Car Tax like out there in Cali?
« on: September 30, 2003, 08:51:54 PM »
In Charlotte, NC, no shit, my car tax is 30 dollars a year.  In California, they just tripled it.  How do the democrats among you in Cali feel about your Democratic governor tripling your car tax?  They say the average californian will have a tax increase of $158.00 per car, on top of what you already pay, this year.  That shit would piss me off.  

pappy

Re:What's your Car Tax like out there in Cali?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 08:57:55 PM »
wtf is car tax do u mean insurance

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 03:00:54 AM »
naww I dont think so...

Here in the UK we have car tax, we get charged different amounts depending upon engine capacity. we gotta display a little coloured circle thingy in the windscreen (uhh windshield u guys call it right?) or we get busted..

For my 1.4 its about £120 a year (thats $240), the next level up i think is around £150

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 11:36:18 AM »
The government taxes you on property you own, if you own property, you have to pay them for the right to own it, so they get a percentage of everything you own, every year.  On a car, it's about 34 dollars in NC, but in California, it's been tripled by the governor (Gray Davis).  Again, it comes down to conservatives are against raising taxes, and democrats do everything they can do to raise taxes; so he tripled the car tax.  The average californian now pays an extra 158 bucks on top of the car tax they were already paying, every year.  Why? Makes no sense.  

Jome

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 03:39:11 PM »

For my 1.4 its about £120 a year (thats $240), the next level up i think is around £150

Everybody with a car must pay a yearly amount of $310 here in Norway..
As usual we come out most expensive..  >:(

pappy

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 06:35:50 PM »
is car tax like registration if so in new york u pay for it based on the weight of ur car.  i paid like 60 for my le baron.  my dads van i payed like 103 for

Jome

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 07:09:44 PM »
is car tax like registration if so in new york u pay for it based on the weight of ur car.  i paid like 60 for my le baron.  my dads van i payed like 103 for

Nah, it's something you pay EACH YEAR for owning a car..

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 07:17:14 PM »
^ In america, registration is each year. Some states lump it all together..

In Charlotte, it's $15.00 to register the car (that's basically to keep the liscense up to date), and the tax is based on the value of the car (mine's like $40.00).  So you've got $15.00 & $40.00 to worry about.

In some places like New York, etc. they charge a highway use tax, depending on how heavy the car is, and just add it to your registration fees, to make sure you pay it.  

Jome

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2003, 08:34:23 PM »
Ohh, it's different here:

When buying a car, you gotta pay re-registration fee: from $400 to $1000, depending on the car.

And then there's a yearly fee for everybody owning a car @ $310

pappy

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2003, 10:06:47 PM »
^ In america, registration is each year. Some states lump it all together..

In Charlotte, it's $15.00 to register the car (that's basically to keep the liscense up to date), and the tax is based on the value of the car (mine's like $40.00).  So you've got $15.00 & $40.00 to worry about.

In some places like New York, etc. they charge a highway use tax, depending on how heavy the car is, and just add it to your registration fees, to make sure you pay it.  
in new york registration is every 2 years

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2003, 04:27:03 PM »

When buying a car, you gotta pay re-registration fee: from $400 to $1000, depending on the car.

Damn, doesn't that piss you off?  Why should you have to pay for the privelidge to own something.

Jome

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2003, 09:02:25 PM »

Damn, doesn't that piss you off?  Why should you have to pay for the privelidge to own something.

Yeah, it pisses me off..
Not much you can do about it though..  :-\

The funny thing is that every time a car is sold, the government make $400 to $1000, every time, for doing 1 minute of paperwork..
Talk about charging twice.. or more usually.

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2003, 09:11:34 PM »
I'll leave it alone :)