Author Topic: Why do people always ditch the old stuff?  (Read 262 times)

Trauma-san

Why do people always ditch the old stuff?
« on: October 01, 2003, 04:28:12 PM »
I've never understood this, but why do people stop liking old things?  For instance, some of the NWA stuff is better than anything anybody on the radio is doing today... and hardly any of the young kids who are growing up just starting to get into rap now have heard much NWA, so how come they aren't even interested in it?

For instance, my brother's friend is 15, he'll wait in LINE to get whoever the new hot artist is, to get their CD, but yet he's never even heard most of the old rap that laid the foundation for this stuff, and doesn't even want to pick the CD's up.  why? It's still as dope as it was then.

Same thing for other types of music, people post all the time about how much they like Andre3000's CD, for instance, but nobody's interested in going back and getting old Funk albums or P.M. Dawn albums or whatever that laid the foundation for what he's doing, even though the old stuff is probably better.  

I thik maybe it's because people like current things, because they'll have people to talk to about it with.  I could go buy the first earth wind and fire album, but I wouldn't have anybody to share it with, because nobody else would be interested in it.  If I go buy the new Obie Trice album, everybody else is out buying it right now so I guess it's a commonality thing?

Personally, I could give a fuck if other people are onto some album, I listen to ancient stuff all day long, and the new stuff, I'd just as soon go spend money on some Quincy Jones album I never heard from 1972 then buy the new Obie Trice album.  There's 1000's of good albums that were released in the past I've never heard, I'm more excited about hearing them then hearing the new stuff sometimes.

We Fly High

Re:Why do people always ditch the old stuff?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 04:35:47 PM »
i second that. the days of old..

Kaidy

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 06:29:15 PM »
Good point. I think its a maturity thing. I know as I've grown older my musical tastes have expanded tremendously. Now its common for me to have Pac, Billie Holiday and Stevie Wonder all in my player at the same time. Plus, I cant stand most music that comes out now.

I think once you come away from listening to what the industry is telling you to listen to, you can sort of really find out what you like or not, and i guess thats part of growing up. I know all the older hip hoppers i know wouldnt dream of listening to say, Chingy over some old Cube or something.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2003, 06:45:16 PM by Kaidy »

Don Breezio

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 06:37:07 PM »
i agree entirely...i used to be into nelly, ja rule, all the cash money & no limit bullshit...all that kinda shit...then i started to mature and started listening to the lyrics more and realizing i wanted more out of music...its like we grow up and music has lost some of its maturity...not saying NWA was exactly mature...but they were one of the greatest groups of all time...whereas nelly...should be shot.

eS El Duque

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 07:16:46 PM »
well...some ppl just don't like old shit

me on the other hand still listen to all my old albums all the time

i started to listen to rap like around 1999-2000...but my second rap album i ever bought was Nas - Illmatic ;D (first was Eminem - The SLim Shady Lp)

my third album was Dr Dre's - The Chronic i think....

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 07:40:13 PM »
Yeah, but that's what I'm saying, WHY don't people like Old shit?  It doesn't make any sense.  People like it when something new they've never heard before comes out, but all the old stuff is something new they've never heard before, LOL.  If you go pick up a Beastie Boys Cd, you KNOW that shit is gonna be good.  Try telling that to somebody waiting in line to buy the new bubba sparx album, though.  There's people ON THIS BOARD that don't even own Doggystyle, but bought Paid the Cost to be the Boss.  ? ? ?

I might be different, though because when I grew up, my parents played nothing but old stuff, until I was about 13, I never even heard the new stuff that was out.  I grew up in the 80's, and early 90's, the only 2 songs from the 80's I ever even heard was "Walk like an egyptian" and "For the Longest Time" because that's the only 2 new songs my dad played.  The rest of the time I was listening to old songs from the 60's & 70's.  

Like Kaidy eluded to, though, if you start listening to more music, different stuff, you'll start noticing just how maliputive the system is to make you 'like' certain songs and bands.  The more you hear a well-produced (as in, shiny) record, the more you like it.  They make you like this shit, lol i'm not kidding you.  If you start listening around, the artists today don't hold a candle to the artists of yesterday.  There is NO FUCKING WAY a rock band like "Staind" or "Creed" would sell shit,if it wasn't for their songs being played over and over, and you being conditioned to go out and buy that shit.  

Rap, when it came out, was DIFFERENT, it was something totally new, and it was really really creative.  It was the first new music genre since the 50's when Rock & Roll was created, think about that.  Now it's turned into a joke, I understand why Chuck D & them are so pissed about the state of rap today.

Don Breezio

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 07:42:51 PM »
old stuff has a different sound to it...you'll know just by the bass line if it was made in the last 5 or 6 years...some people just dont like the old style...i love that old shit...but i have to be in the mood to listen to it.

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 07:48:30 PM »
word DOGGYSTYLE over PAID THA COST anyday!!!!

Don Breezio

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2003, 07:50:06 PM »

im not a huge snoop fan...but i agree entirely...although (and im the only person who will ever say this)...i'd pick tha doggfather over any snoop cd.

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2003, 07:56:26 PM »

im not a huge snoop fan...but i agree entirely...although (and im the only person who will ever say this)...i'd pick tha doggfather over any snoop cd.
dont know about it being better than doggystyle but its def a million times better than paid the cost

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2003, 07:57:54 PM »
old stuff has a different sound to it...you'll know just by the bass line if it was made in the last 5 or 6 years...some people just dont like the old style...i love that old shit...but i have to be in the mood to listen to it.

Yeah, but that doesn't make any sense.  If I made a new album today, with new nice basslines, it would sound totally different than anything out today.  It'd still sell, because it's new.  In the same sense, the old stuff is different than anythign out today, but it doesn't sell, people aren't interested in it.  I believe that's a fallacy in the human condition, we're quick to abandon the past.  

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2003, 08:03:48 PM »

Word...Doggfather is definetly my fave Snoop CD. Old music is simply better than new-school. Think about it- Paid In Full vs. Right Thurr...Walk This Way vs. In The Club. The songs that were big back then were just simply amazing and nowadays most shit is trash.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Don Breezio

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2003, 08:05:53 PM »

Word...Doggfather is definetly my fave Snoop CD. Old music is simply better than new-school. Think about it- Paid In Full vs. Right Thurr...Walk This Way vs. In The Club. The songs that were big back then were just simply amazing and nowadays most shit is trash.

couldnt've said it better myself

bow_down

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2003, 08:49:38 PM »
I started listening to hiphop around 1996 and I'd say anything that was released before 1996 is better than shit released after. Not many rap albums that have come out after 1996 are that good compared to before that period when everyone dropped classic albums.

Don Breezio

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2003, 08:52:07 PM »
i actually think that 98 was one of the best years in music...so much good shit came out...