Author Topic: Why do people always ditch the old stuff?  (Read 263 times)

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
Re:Why do people always ditch the old stuff?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2003, 06:18:56 AM »
hmm dont agree that was the best peiod but nevermind..i agree with the old stuff tho..

...stuff needs to be appreciated as it is what all the later hiphop is based on..

...that includes soul, rock, funk, jazz, p funk, poetry, etc and the earlies days of "hiphop" themselves with people like the watts prophets...
...not to mention an understanding of the politics ,struggles and "fashions" of the times when these records were being made.

btw imo 94 / 96 were best years ;)  lol
pZ

mauzip

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2003, 06:47:01 AM »
word DOGGYSTYLE over PAID THA COST anyday!!!!

im not a huge snoop fan...but i agree entirely...although (and im the only person who will ever say this)...i'd pick tha doggfather over any snoop cd.

Word...Doggfather is definetly my fave Snoop CD. Old music is simply better than new-school. Think about it- Paid In Full vs. Right Thurr...Walk This Way vs. In The Club. The songs that were big back then were just simply amazing and nowadays most shit is trash.

I'd pick In Da Club as my favorite out of those 3.

Don Seer

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2003, 09:04:13 AM »
unless its definitely 'old era' sounding I classify everything I hear as new (to me..)

Adam Donnelly

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WYTHENSHAWE
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2003, 09:45:09 AM »
Old or New
I dont care
A Tune is a Tune

Nightfall

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2003, 11:32:23 AM »
 ::)

NWA was overrated as fuck, their music bored me after like 1 month....cauz seriously... how lyrical is "dopeman dope man, suck this bitch" or
"Pull to the house, get her outta the path,
the bitch said somethin' ta make me mad.
she said somethin' that I couldn't believe,
so I grabbed the stupid bitch by her nappy-ass weave."

wtf is that?! wtf did that 'bitch say"? ::)

(dont fucken diss me for saying this... dr lincoln can confirm i know good hip-hop and know wtf im talken bout)

i noticed lots of people like older shit is cauz they grew up on it, but people set higher standards for lyrics nowadays, well, they do in the underground

run-dmc were "the shit" back n the days... "the titest mc's around" but sooo many rappers nowadays rap soooo much better... lol, run-dmc even had ghostwriters for that simple shit

i respect run-dmc for their rawness and influence on hip-hop and overall music... but naw. their lyrics were simplistic

people stick to wat they grow up on
i see a lot of older hip-hop heads having a hardtime accepting ras kass as one of the greatest of all time cauz they are used to slick rick, krs-one, melle mel, chuck D and rakim being the g.o.a.t....and they are some of the best

wat im saying is

people prefer wat they grew up on, im new school, im growing up on , likwit, hiero, j5, dilated, a tribe called quest, black star/reflection eternal, self scientific, ras kass, mobb deep, wu-tang clan, mr lif and the rest of def jux, the pharcyde, the lootpack, tonedeff, zach de la rocha, the roots, polyryhthm addicts, common, blackalicious... krs-one, rakim, slick rick, public enemy, dead prez, de la soul....

i know, most of the rappers i mentioned the last are pretty old school but dropped hotness till this day and il continue to bump their music and remember them as the best rappers ever and ask my self in 10 years........

"Why do people always ditch the old stuff?"
« Last Edit: October 03, 2003, 11:47:25 AM by Nightfall »

Nightfall

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2003, 11:39:20 AM »
add:
the demigodz, non-phixion, gang starr, jedi mind tricks, akrobatik and.......the jigmastas to the list of artists im growen up on

Nightfall

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2003, 11:42:30 AM »

im not a huge snoop fan...but i agree entirely...although (and im the only person who will ever say this)...i'd pick tha doggfather over any snoop cd.

Word...Doggfather is definetly my fave Snoop CD. Old music is simply better than new-school. Think about it- Paid In Full vs. Right Thurr...Walk This Way vs. In The Club. The songs that were big back then were just simply amazing and nowadays most shit is trash.

phil da agony ft. talib kweli & ras kass - go vs. vanilla ice - ice ice baby
black star - brown skin lady vs 2 live crew - me so horny
defari - look into my eyes vs. jj fad - supersonic

i listen to older music, my favorite albums was released in 93, oh yea, my favorite song was released in 92....

but i consider everything from 1989 till now new school (wit a few exceptions)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 02:01:25 AM by Nightfall »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2003, 12:48:10 PM »
I think it has to do with sound and production. Newer beats, better sound. No one listen to hip-hop today because of the rappers. If that's the case, New York would be the number one sellers, and it ain't image and message, or Los Angeles would. No, it's beats and if you can dance to it, which the south, who traditionally have wack rappers, beat out everyone right now. I remember when Regulators was the shit, and everyone wanted that G-Funk sound, and then 'Pac had So Many Tears, and Snoop had Murder Was the Case, and Bone Thugs had there sound. People then got excited, but now people want Chingy, Nelly, Lil' Jon, Bonecrusher, and all those other sounds. Hip-Hop changes, and we are going from the Bling-Bling era of Jay-Z, Puffy and the Eastcoast, to the Dirty era of Lil' Jon, David Banner and the South. Hey, it's changing. Personally, my favorite thing to do is get into my dad's old music, at first I didn't want to hear it, but when I did, I loved it. Now I listen to way more old music, and the last rap CD I bought was 50 Cent back in Febuary. Not to say I don't listen to new music, it's just changing. It went from Old School, to True School of the East and West, to Gangsta of the West, to Bling Bling back in the East, to now Dirty in the South. It's changing, I knew Nas beating Jay-Z was a sign of changing times, I just thought it was more True School based, but the South is doing there thing. Hey, it's all good.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2003, 12:54:15 PM »

I'd pick In Da Club as my favorite out of those 3.
 :o

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris