Author Topic: Jay Z - The Black Album (Very detailed review)  (Read 1655 times)

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Future Revolutionary Classic
Jay Z - The Black Album (Very detailed review)
« on: November 06, 2003, 03:36:51 PM »
written by Rm_777
IMA BIG JAY Z FAN, Shaun CArter SAID THIS WOULD BE BETTER THE REASNOBLE DOUBT, SO THUS, I MUST COMPARE TO RD...

1. Interlude - Produced by Just Blaze
Nice mellow beat, a female's monologue is placed on top of the beat.  She speaks about 'things coming to an end'.

2. December 4th - Produced by Just Blaze
Gloria Carter opens the track with her first memories of Jay.  Then Jay Z gives his side of the story, flowing nothing amazing, so I was quite disappointed.  G. Carter's interludes replaced the chorus slot which is unheard of in Hip Hop and very creative becayse S Carter is the most versatile hip hop artist ever, so we all wanna know how he reacted.  Hov goes on to explain the events that lead to his well-being of today.  Creative track and very informing to fans, but I was looking for Reasnouble-Doubt day flows.  
4.25/5

3. What More Can I Say - Produced by The Buchanans
The track opens with a snippet from the movie Gladiator which I am very happy with, but there should have been a better / more commanding presence. Jay storms onto the track, and this has no main subject and instead he rambles on certain subjects using disappointing lyrics.  Rell's vocals were used on the chorus to provide the song with sort of a classical chant, which isn’t amazing or bad either….  Jay rides the 80s sample based track with ease, and his last 5 bars on this track are amazing !!!!!! I thought this sounded like Kanye West / Just Blaze combined cause who the hell are the Buchanans?
Contains samples of MSFB's Something For Nothing
3.5/5

4. Encore - Produced By Kanye West
This track enters with a trumpet entrance (typical Kanye West) and has a real unplugged sound going on because the beat is sprinkled with a live crowd sound effect that does sound fairly artificial.  Jay raps momentarily about his career and what he plans on doing after its over and the flow isn’t that bad, but once again lyrics are disappointing but minutes into the song, Cedric the Entertainer breaks into the track and starts a "Hova" chant….yes ruining the song even more. After listeining to the track, there isn’t even a subject and again he rambles…..  Mediocre song, the track number is not a big help to the already set tone of the album with a weak-er Kanye West beat then expected
2/5

5. Change Clothes - Produced by The Neptunes
The Neptunes produced single does not really impress my ears and the main reason why this was the 1st single is simple... did you see the HUGE success of the last combination.  The flow used on the track is good compared to other rappers because it is a melodic tracks that can be inconsistent. Pharell does a nice chorus until he starts talking, then Jay Z rambles about girls ect.  I really dont understand how this is taking it back to Reasonable Doubt days, this is a very disapoitning song and I was hoping for a more creative 1st single.  
2/5

6. Dirt Off Your Shoulders - Produced by Timbaland
The duo that's famous for tracks such as Lobster & Scrimp, Big Pimpin, Come & Get Me, etc has done it again.  This is a smash hit right here as a dope beat plus a very nice flow from Jay, and he talks about pimpin’ – already I feel this as a better 1st single.  The chorus is very catchy but at the same time creative and quite addictive that reminds me of Ludacris style for a hook for some reason and if it gets the right play, it can be a huge banger….  I was just hoping that this gets noticed unlike the last Timb / Jay Z banger….. The Bounce which could have been a huge hit…
4.5/5

7. Threat - Produced by 9th Wonder
Opened with your comedic threat comparing killing to drug money, which is weak cause I was hoping for a very very intimidating threat, like something from Jay Z’s fav movie…Scarface.  Jay raps about threats he has recieved and how easy it is for those hits to be handled.  A few hot lines were dropped during the 3 verses, yet needs to be more consistent, but has very nice flow on the track.  Again Jay adds a little bit more to the 6 bar chorus with help from the Threat making death and violent threats. 9th Wonder who was never supposed to be on the album, replaced DJ Premier (which im still pissed about)….and this track wasn’t on 9th’s beat tape when he gave it to Jay and he had to make this beat using the R Kelly sample cause Jay prefereed this, and it still turns out to be a very nice produced track considering the fact that he made it on a computer.
Contains samples of R Kelly's A Woman's Threat
4/5

8. Moment of Clarity - Produced by Eminem
Decent Eminem production with the same drums and violin to add a little depth to the track, reminds me a lot of Em’s other 2 produced tracks – Nas’ “The Cross” and Xzibit’s “My Name” combined. I was looking for a harder / more intense beat, but of course its Eminem.  Jay looks beyond the beat and opens very very nicely with a quiet intensity. Shaun Carter mentions his dad and his homies on the track and talks about his music past and his “hard knock life.” A very emotional track cause in the 2nd track he talks back against the critics and mentions the Talib Kweli and his strong lyrics as well how Jay wanted to be “Common Sense” in terms of lyrics, showing that Jay is not completely ignorant.  During the chorus, he makes it important to name all of his album names.  His last line of the final verse is…"Im strong enough to carry Biggie Smalls on my back, and the whole BK holla back"  A very important song to the album despite the mediocre production because he fires back at the haters and critics.
4.25/5

9. 99 Problems - Produced by Rick Rubin
"I got 99 problems but a bitch aint one."....nice line, wonder where he stole this frome...Oh I found it, Brother Marquis of 2 Live Crew said "Don't ask me for a dance; I don't need one
I got 99 problems and a bitch ain't one" on the song "Table Dance". Anyway, The guitar riffs are perfectly constructed for Jay's braggadocio verses and its not like the last rock track with Lenny Kravitz.  The last few bars of the second verse just threw me off the roof and he is on FIRE on this track, although when hearing the beat, you’ll see that its nothing amazing, Jay has nice flow and delivery on this track.  Jay also drops a crazy line "You know the type, loud as a motorbike, but won't bust a grape in a fruit fight."  There is nothing special about the song structure, lyrics or flow but it's a creative, different track in which Jay shows his true himself.
4.25/5

10. Public Service Announcement - Produced by Just Blaze
An interesting song break.  This song is sort of like an interlude to the rest of the album and wasn’t expecting a weak interlude / intro on his last album.  The second vocal interlude on the album I think sums up Jay's retirement.  Theres really not too much to say about this song, it keeps your attention but at the same time its nothing more than average Jay flow and lyrics and a decent beat from one of the most overrated producers in the game….Just Blaze !.
2/5

11. Justify My Thug - Produced by DJ Quik
Interesting...the first verse is off the meter as the flow is FLAWLESS.  Jay explains his standards in life and what he expects from others and himself.  The chorus is a vocal sample of Madonna's hit single.  The flow seems so dope that you can barely pay attention to the heavy bassline and the production.  Quik has always been a production favorite of mine but he has not much choice on this track cause Jay asked him to contain the sample….so there is the heavy bassline, but I still feel that Jay should of gotten rid of the track….cause Quik is regarded as one of the GOAT’s of producing as he mixes nicely and plays all the instruments generally, but he cant show that on this track. Disapointing, I was hoping for this to be a dope Quik / Jay track….
3/5.
Contains samples of Modonna's Justify My Love

12. Lucifer - Produced by Kanye West
Generally, Kanye is either hit or miss – that’s a lot to say about his own album. I was expecting an extremely sinister track with Satan and dark chimy bells (*thinks of Xzibit’s “Release Date”*) Instead, Jay picks the worst beat for this topic. The track opens with a vocal sample repeating "Lucifer...Im gonna chase you outta here,"  and is indeed a very dope track because of its melody, but there is a major conflict of interest and Jay talks about death on a 60’s swing track…very poor judgment from an intelligent man. Througout the track Jay makes correlations to religion and higher powers while keeping the track listenable, but im still very disappointed as there is no dividing lines between the each verse, besides a chorus, proving that the transition is weak
Contains samples of Lee Perry's "Chase The Devil"
3.5/5

13. Allure - Produced by The Neptunes
No!!! Not again…The Pharell brovado style chorus is very relaxing, but why are they on the album again.  This track gives the feeling that the album is coming to an end so “thank you.”  Jay makes claims to end his wrong doings in the streets and to women but claims that it continues to call him back.  The production does not really move me, because it’s a simple Neptunes beat, but it gives a good addition to the current setting of the album.
3.5/5

14. My First Song - Produced by Aqua & Joe "3H" Weinberger
Which happens to be his last.  The track opens with a snippet of Notorious BIG interview, with a very very nice background effects.  Jay rides the drums and taps with perfection as the flow of the track is not the focal point of the track though, but he still destroys the track lyrically by staying on time with the Midwest beat.  Damn this song gives all fans the blues, its like you can see Jay's whole career in one song.  The last minute and a half of the song Jay reminisces on events of the past that he and the Roc-A-Fella family been through. A very beautiful track and Id like do hear more of this and Aqua’s production, but of course this is the last track of the album….
5/5

Overall: 3.75/5
Favorite Tracks: My First Song & Moment of Clarity

Loved
  • The lack of guest appearances.
  • Various producers and choice of beats.
  • The flows utilized on this album will be jacked left and right by your favorite rappers.
  • I love the fact that Jay left the game without taking shots at anyone in the industry, showing that the haters don't have the effect on him that they thought.
  • He talked about his struggles more often and talked about his life, in which no one knows about

Hated
  • Change Clothes just does not really meet the standards that I expected for this album.

• The beats range dramatically which is good, but the subjects are random, he could be talking of his street life on 2 tracks and on one of them he talks how he has transformed, but then fillers rest of track
  • Tremendous filler and im still disappointed with the album
  • The fact that I got the album 3 weeks before it's release, my anticipation is over.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 01:58:46 PM by Vigilante »

This album recieved 3 Mics in the Source.....BS
Go support him and go buy it!

PLANT

Re:Jay Z - The Black Album (Very detailed review)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2003, 03:43:04 PM »
Dont really agree with your review...

Id give "Encore" a 5/5 and "Change Clothes" a 4/5 which is the weakest song on the album, but still bangs.

The album is a sold 4.5-5/5.  I just dont want to call it classic yet.

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2003, 04:17:16 PM »
Dont really agree with your review...

Id give "Encore" a 5/5 and "Change Clothes" a 4/5 which is the weakest song on the album, but still bangs.

The album is a sold 4.5-5/5.  I just dont want to call it classic yet.

nope.....if ur a BIG JAY Z FAN, HE SAID THIS WOULD BE BETTER THE REASNOBLE DOUBT, AND IT ISNT CLOSE SO THUS, I MUST COMPARE TO RD...

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2003, 11:18:26 PM »
Good Review. Can't wait to listen to the whole album.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 11:33:49 AM »

"Encore" is dope, a 4.5/5 but "Change Clothes And Go" is pretty much unlistenable, just horrible, a 1/5.

Overall, right now I'd give the album a 8.5/10
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 04:08:58 PM by C2Knuckles »

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 03:08:45 PM »
dawg u got me hyped...........i liked ya review........sounds realistic........i hate wen cats when be sayin albums classic to every hyped album after hearing it once.........

def lookin forward to hearin the album tho still no doubt

peace

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2003, 07:20:11 PM »
dawg u got me hyped...........i liked ya review........sounds realistic........i hate wen cats when be sayin albums classic to every hyped album after hearing it once.........

def lookin forward to hearin the album tho still no doubt

peace

thanks alot.....

I overated Roscoe's album alot, and EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT HOW dope this album is, when it didnt even touch RD and Jay even said this would be a better album, i was honest and wasnt biased and not even opinated and I read other Reviews.....im still shocked yall dont have the album, its all over internet, IRC ect

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2003, 03:43:39 PM »
BUMP!

Koni

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2003, 04:35:55 AM »
Contains samples of Lee Perry's "Chase The Devil"
Chase the devil is a Max Romeo track...and I think Lucifer is one of the best tracks of this average album...
Always smoked out but still intelectual...

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2003, 11:03:16 AM »
great review, i agree pretty much with it all...i'd give this cd a 7.5/10, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2003, 06:03:49 PM »
for me

interlude   3/5
dec 4th    4/5
what more...   5/5
encore           4.5/5
change clothes   2/5
dirt off.. 4/5
threats   5/5
moment of clarity   4/5
99 problems            4.5/5
public service anouncement   5/5
justify my thug   4/5
lucifer  4.5/5
allure   4/5
my 1st song  5/5

amazing cd, about a 4.5/5

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2003, 03:16:58 PM »
great review, i agree pretty much with it all...i'd give this cd a 7.5/10, peace.

thx alot up

teecee

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 12:22:11 AM »
Aler G, u dont feel ENCORE???!!!

Vigilante, u feel ENCORE yet?

Anyway, surprisingly this album has great replay value for me, compared to BP2 which was incredibly dope at first, and then i got sick of it quickly.  This album, i keep liking each song more and more.  Id have to say my two favourties are Encore and Dec. 4th, as these two songs seem to put some feeling back in hiphop with out being sappy or cheesy (although i thought dec 4th was originally cheesy!).....I also LOVE that ALlure joint, and dont even mind  Change CLothes, although its still Jay worst single EVER!  It would be dope if he pulled a Nas and released a pure hiphhop single next, but i cant see it......maybe 99 Problems would be dope as a single?

Foesum

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2004, 11:28:48 PM »
1. Interlude - Produced by Just Blaze
2. December 4th - Produced by Just Blaze 4.5/5
3. What More Can I Say - Produced by The Buchanans 4/5
4. Encore - Produced By Kanye West 5/5
5. Change Clothes - Produced by The Neptunes 3.5/5
6. Dirt Off Your Shoulders - Produced by Timbaland 4.5/5
7. Threat - Produced by 9th Wonder 5/5
8. Moment of Clarity - Produced by Eminem 4.5/5
9. 99 Problems - Produced by Rick Rubin 5/5
10. Public Service Announcement - Produced by Just Blaze 4/5
11. Justify My Thug - Produced by DJ Quik 4/5