Author Topic: Wu-Tang Clan appreciation thread  (Read 375 times)

eNgIeS

Wu-Tang Clan appreciation thread
« on: October 12, 2003, 10:27:34 AM »
Lately (like the past 2 weeks) i have been listening to heaps of Wu-Tang from over the years, & seeing as no one seems to mention em here (unless its Meth, ODB or RZA) i just thought it would be good to give opinions & thoughts on the Wu-Tang, the affiliates of Wu & thoughts on albums, favorite songs etc etc

Wu-Tang Clan (in order of preference

Method Man/Johnny Blaze/Tical: One of the best ever, he has it all flow, lyrics, voice, charisma & he has a style & great methaphors that Jay-Z been biting for years. Though unfortunately both solo efforts so far while good, didnt do justice to the talent the man has

Ghostface Killah/Iron Man/Tony Starks: One of my favorites & one of the best. Uses alot of his own creative slang but when you really listen & digest it you can understand what he sayin. Both Iron Man & Supreme Clientele are classic cd's, true near-5 mic albums, & his last album, Bulletproof Wallets was decent just a bit more soulfoul & softer than what suits Ghost

Cappadonna/Cappachino (Yes, he was the 10th member but was dumped before the Iron Flag which is why he aint on that CD): IMO one of the most underrated rappers. I've heard many complaints about Cappa, but i love his flow, & his slang style is very similar to Ghostface Killah too, so i dont know why people complain about his lyrics yet they often say Ghostface is great. "Black Boy" is one of my favorite tracks, & while Ying & the Yang was barely average, The Pillage is a good album

GZA/Genius: One of the great lyricsts too. Heck i think if you just listened to "Labels" you can tell that, how he took label names & made a song out of em. Liquid Swords is a near classic, Beneath The Surface & his newest cd is dope too, his debut album is pretty good for its time but kinda corny (just listen to "Come Do Me" & you'll see what i mean)

Inspectah Deck/Rebel I.N.S: Like GZA, but i havent heard his first solo album, but the movement was pretty good, but totally sounds unlike a Wu cd

Mastah Killah: Like GZA & Deck, but far out, when the hell is he gonna come out with an album

Ol' Dirty Bastard/Dirt McGritt: Sure, 1997 onwards he straight up sucked (hopefully detox has helped him overcome problems that held him down), but before that, though his voice flow & style is definately unique, but i loved it & i love his debut album too. I also loved "Got Cha Money" but thats about it.

Raekwon/The Chef: A hypocrite & a hater, but still pretty good. Havent heard his 2nd solo but his debut is a near classic

RZA/Bobby Digital: I just have never digged his naselly voice, but other than that he is pretty good, but a better producer than he is at rappin

U-God/Golden Arms: His decent i havent heard his solo yet but the few songs i heard i digged

Affiliates:

Street Life: I luv his style pity all he gets to do is appear on Wu & Meth shit

True Master: Dope producer & while RZA's production has fallen off over the years, he has produced the dope shit for Wu

11th or 7th disciple (forgotten which name it was): like above

Best Wu-CD's

Enter The Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers
Iron Man
Only Built For Cuban Linx
Liquid Swords
Supreme Clientele
Return To The 36 Chambers - The Dirty Verson
Wu-Tang Forever
Tical
The Iron Flag
Tical 2: Judgement Day

PLANT

Re:Wu-Tang Clan appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 10:37:29 AM »
Word, the Wu is dope and always will be a classic group...Big Ups 2 the Wu-Tang Clan!

pappy

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 10:41:04 AM »
they fell off badly bu tryin to appeal to the mainstream.  they need to go back to what made em big in the first place

eNgIeS

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 10:46:10 AM »
they fell off badly bu tryin to appeal to the mainstream.  they need to go back to what made em big in the first place

I dont think they tried to appeal to the main stream, but they do have a new style, like RZA's production is different now.I want it to go back old days for Wu, just like I wish Snoop was doing Doggystyle & DPG was doin Dogg Food

But u cant u gotta move on with the times know whta i mean

pappy

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 10:58:26 AM »

I dont think they tried to appeal to the main stream, but they do have a new style, like RZA's production is different now.I want it to go back old days for Wu, just like I wish Snoop was doing Doggystyle & DPG was doin Dogg Food

But u cant u gotta move on with the times know whta i mean
i understand but why should i move on an buy there stuff when the music sucks now

IKON

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Pharoahe - God's Gift to Vocabulary BIOTCH!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2003, 05:26:00 PM »
wu hasnt fallen off IMO, i have liked every album they released ( even though people say the W and Iron Flag suck)they come heated on every release

i just got Cappadonna's Pillage album (wasnt into him much) this past week and damn its bangin from start to finish, the RZA's new album is good too

The Watcher

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 09:01:50 PM »
i dont think wu fell off either, they just lost touch with the people, that's all. Wu will be back
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2003, 09:08:57 PM »
36 Chambers is one of the best albums EVER. There others aren't as great though, but Iron Flag was underrated, lots of dope cuts.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 03:38:02 AM »
Sup.. true true wu doesnt get alot of mention on this board...but i dont expect them to really...

...i first heard wu when my friend came back from new york with an underground ep he picked up (this was before protect your neck ep was released)..

..here a quick list of wu albums i own (some missing cos i couldnt be arsed to finish it ;)

Wu Tang – Wu World
Wu Tang – 36 Chambers
Wu Tang – The W
Wu Tang - Wu Tang Forever
Wu Tang – Iron Flag
Wu Tang – Wu Blends, best of Wu Tang
Wu Tang – Killa B Sides
Wu Tang – Wu Tang Collective
Wu Tang – Wu Banga Vol 1
Wu Tang – Wu Banga Vol 2
Wu Tang – Wu Banga Vol 3
Wu Tang – Wu Banga Vol 4
Wu Tang – Wu Banga Vol 5
Wu Tang – Wu Banga Vol 6
Wu Tang – Wu Tang Family
Wu Tang – The Rza Hits
Wu Tang – Wu Blends
Wu Tang – Wu Chronicles 1
Wu Tang – Best of Wu Tang (3cd)
Wu Tang – Hidden Chambers Vol 1
Wu Tang – Hidden Chambers Vol 2
Wu Tang – Hidden Chambers Vol 3
Wu Tang – Hidden Chambers Vol 4
Wu Tang – Hidden Chambers Vol 5
Wu Tang – Hidden Chambers Vol 6
Wu Tang – Hidden Chambers Vol 7
Wu Tang – Hidden Chambers Vol 8
Wu Tang – Chamber Music (instrumentals)
Wu Killa Beez – The Swarm
Wu Fam – Deadly Venoms – Pretty Thugs
        Poppa Wu – Presents United Kingdom
                  Royal Fam – Yesterday today iz tomorrow
                  Pop Da Brown Hornet – Underground
                  Black Rose Kartel – Rose kartel  Order
                  Autonoyz Project – Autonoyz Project
                  Buddah Monk – The Prophecy
                  Cilvaringz – The Mental Chambers
                  Darkim Be Allah - Live At The Lab 1 – Preliminaries
                  Darkim Be Allah - Live At The Lab 1 – Take 1
                  GP Wu – Don’t Go Against the Grain
                  Hot Butter – New Chamber
                  Sunz of Man – First Testament
                  Sunz of Man – Last Shall Be First
                  Sunz of Man – Angels Of Darkness
                  Sunz of Man – Rare & Unreleased
                  Killarmy – Dirty Weaponry
                  Killarmy – Silent Weapons
                  Killah Baamz – Untitled
                  King Just – Mystics Of the Gods
                  Lin Brothers – Ching Dynasty
                  Moongod Allah – Ten Tigers of Kwantung
                  Makeba Mooncycle - Makeba Mooncycle
                  Remedy – Genuine Article
                  Shabazz The Disciple
                  Timbo King & Spark 950 – United We Stand
                  VA Shaolin Soul EP 1
                  VA Shaolin Soul EP 2
                  VA Shaolin Soul EP 3

Rza – Big Cap Wu Tang Mix
Rza – As Bobby Digital
Raekwon – Immobilarity
Raekwon – Only Built for Cuban Linx
Royce The 5 9 - The Bad Half
Royce the 5 9 – Build & Destroy
Redman & Method man - Blackout
Prince Paul – Return of the Dew Dew men
Prince Paul – Prince Among Thieves
ODB – Return to the 36 Chambers
ODB – Nigga Please
Method Man – Tical
Method Man – Tical  (remastered)
Method Man – Tical 2000 Judgement Day
Killah Priest – View From Masada
Killah Priest – Heavy Mental
Killah Priest – Black August
Gravediggaz – 6 Feet Deep
Gravediggaz - Niggamortis
Gravediggaz - Pick, Sickle & Shovel
Gravediggaz - Nightmare in a Mirror
Ghostface Killah – Supreme Clientel
Ghostface Killah - Ironman
Gza – Legend of the Liquid Sword
Gza – Words from a Genius
Gza – Liquid Swords
Gza – Beneath the Surface
Cappadonna – The Pillage
Cappadonna – Yin & Yang
Cappadonna – The Struggle
9th_Prince_of_Killarmy-Honeycomb_Bw_Grandaddy_Flow
4th Disciple - Steel Valley Projects Vol. 1
Wu-Tang_Clan-Live_In_Amsterdam-1997
afu-ra - body of the life force
Cilvaringz-All_Star_Collection_Box
G.P._Wu-Black_On_Black_Crime-Promo
God Sunz (f. Starang Wondah)
Ins - The Rebellion
Wu Tang - 5 Styles of Shaolin
Master Killa - No said Date

As you can see i got a soft spot for the wu...always have lol

N-Sane Brain

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 07:04:34 AM »
Nice report syxx_aka_engies! The Wu-Tang Clan is one of my favourite groups for a long time now.

I think GZA is their best member - he always dropped dope albums (if we ignore his Cold Chillin' debut), has a tight flow and good lyrical skills. Raekwon is my second favourite, because of his classic "Only Built For Cuban Linx..." and his "different" but also good release "Immobilarity". I think Method Man would be next - his "Tical" is straight classic and his voice is like daaamn. Ol' Dirty was tight back in the days - I love his crazy style like on "Protect Ya Neck II The Zoo", but I don't like his newer songs on Roc-A-Fella. Ghostface is a very strange character - sometimes he's droppin' hot shit, sometimes I don't know why he's droppin' such bullshit. Inspectah Deck and U-God are both dope (I love U-God's hook of "Careful"), but I don't like their solo-albums ("Uncontrolled Substance", "The Movement", "Golden Arm's Redemption"). I don't feel Cappadonna very much, although his "The Pillage" was nice. RZA doesn't have such rappin' skills like most of the other members, but I'm respectin' him for his work with the Gravediggaz and the Wu-Tang Clan and for his tight productions.

...Mastah Killah: Like GZA & Deck, but far out, when the hell is he gonna come out with an album...

He's called Masta Killa (without any "h") ;) His solo-debut "No Said Date" was pushed back often, I hope he'll finally drop it soon. Productions will come from RZA, Allah Mathematics, 4th Disciple, True Master and DJ Premier!

BTW: Nice collection, OpTiCaL. But what's Royce searchin' for in this list? And you'll definitely have to check GP WU's "Don't Go Against The Grain". One of my favourite Wu-Fam releases.

eNgIeS

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2003, 11:34:24 AM »

Cappadonna – The Struggle

Whats that i never heard of it is it a bootleg or something new that just came out?

Storm

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2003, 01:26:25 PM »
I agree, Wu-Tang was once incredible.  36 chambers is no doubt a classic album.  Tical is a sick album and so is ODB's first album for the most part. I bought Gza's Liquid Swords a long time ago but never really bumped it cause i was never a fan and it was a very solid album.  Wu-Tang Forever was pretty good, but The W was horrible.  I really like Iron Flag though, that was a dope return for the Wu.  I would like to see one solid Wu album from the whole clan...a real classic album. The Wu were a huge part of what rap is today, gotta give them props. peace
If tha bitch can't swim, then shes bound to drizzound!

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2003, 04:39:47 PM »
wu hasnt fallen off IMO, i have liked every album they released ( even though people say the W and Iron Flag suck)they come heated on every release

Wu-Tang_Clan-Live_In_Amsterdam-1997

hey are you interested in selling this? ???
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 04:44:10 PM by Bram »

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2003, 04:43:58 AM »
The Struggle you should be able to get on the net or in shops

..as for the live in amsterdam...no sorry bro but i may be able to hook you up...if ya got a ftp i can rip n send

eNgIeS

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2003, 05:46:58 AM »
The Struggle you should be able to get on the net or in shops

..as for the live in amsterdam...no sorry bro but i may be able to hook you up...if ya got a ftp i can rip n send

yeah but is it like a best of or a new album, just i never heard of it