Author Topic: Will Eminem ever be above Biggie?  (Read 1826 times)

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
Re:Will Eminem ever be above Biggie?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2003, 11:22:50 PM »
The truth is...
Eminem's topic's do not feed the original base of hip-hop music....

EM's topic's are not/nor can anyone who hip-hop was OG really for, identify with his content...ImO

OnE
Hatesrats 2oooTre
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 11:25:14 PM by Hatesrats »

Don Breezio

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2003, 11:26:05 PM »
EM's topic's are not/nor can anyone who hip-hop was OG  for really for, identify with his content...ImO

i think i know what you were trying to say in that sentence...thats one of the problems in hip hop today...its too damn predictable...by saying that his topics dont really work for hip hop is basically proving that. no music should have pre-set topics...i should be able to rap about a ham sandwich if i want.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2003, 11:32:35 PM »
Eminem has lyrics above Big and Pac. That is all. Albums, flows, impact/influence (this does not mean sales, it means actually influencing the way the music is made), voice, content, etc. go to Big and Pac.

I would like to see the list of 100 rappers (I know it was an exageration) better than Pac, Big and Em when it comes to the total package not just lyrics because lyrics are not everything that makes an MC one of the greatest. I agree that these three are not untouchable but they are in the top rankings when it comes to the overall package. Plus it all depends on what you are looking for. Do you want a well balanced MC or an MC that is really nice in one area but really lacks in others?

as far as the mainstream goes there arent many better than them...but if you look past the albums you see in most stores and go to some shit that you will never hear on the radio its a whole other world...there are dozens of rappers better but they will never get recognized.

I do and have listened to a LOT of non mainstream rappers and I find a lot of them are nice lyrically but lack in flow, voice, delivery, etc. Kool Keith (Dr. Octagon) one of my favorite non mainstream artists for example is ill lyrically but his flow, voice, delivery, choruses, etc. aren't coming remotely close to Big, Pac or Em. Like I said it depends on what you're looking for.

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2003, 11:34:05 PM »
EM's topic's are not/nor can anyone who hip-hop was OG  for really for, identify with his content...ImO
i think i know what you were trying to say in that sentence...thats one of the problems in hip hop today...its too damn predictable...by saying that his topics dont really work for hip hop is basically proving that. no music should have pre-set topics...i should be able to rap about a ham sandwich if i want.

What I mean is...
1.I love my family...
2.I would never call my MOM by any name regardless..(She fucken gave me life)
3.I never lived in no trailer home...
4.I have never been bullied..
5.I'm not his skin tone..
6.I have never been fucked over for wanting to belong to a culture that does not truly accept me.
7.I'm not a multi millionaire...
8.I don't care about Em's personal termoil (Wife/kid)
9.I don't hate Teenie bopper's just because their name ryhmes...lol
10.ect...

90% of Em's topic's just do not interest me....

Hatesrats 2oooTre (not knockin' his hustle)

T.J.

• Wanksta
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my deck
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2003, 11:43:11 PM »
if eminem unleashes some phenomenal story-telling skill somehow, he MIGHT be above biggie. but i doubt that will happen.

kick ass album

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2003, 12:46:56 AM »

What I mean is...
1.I love my family...
6.I have never been fucked over for wanting to belong to a culture that does not truly accept me.
10.ect...

but you can say the same for ANY RAPPER

you never belonged to a gang...
you never shot a gun...
you never drove a bentley...
you never drank a whole bottle of crystal...
you never wore a 100,000 bucks or jewelery...
you never slanged half a kilo of coke...
you didn't have a mom who was a black panther
ect.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2003, 01:36:38 AM »
What I mean is...
1.I love my family...
10.ect...

but you can say the same for ANY RAPPER

you never belonged to a gang...
you never shot a gun...
you never drove a bentley...
you never drank a whole bottle of crystal...
you never wore a 100,000 bucks or jewelery...
you never slanged half a kilo of coke...
you didn't have a mom who was a black panther
ect.

Corleone's got a point there. You don't have to come from the same background as the rappers you like to like them. I sure as hell can't relate to 99.9% of the shit people say on record. But I don't like who I like because they're like me - I like who I like because they are who they are.

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2003, 02:05:37 AM »

no music should have pre-set topics...i should be able to rap about a ham sandwich if i want.

As long as u do it wit skill u bet u can,
I agree wit u 200%, that's basicly what many close minded heads get twisted, The topic is the artist's personal choice, the rating system alpies only to his abillity to properly deliver whichever topic he chooses.
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2003, 02:31:25 AM »
As my hiphop taste matured with time, I stoped thinkin' Pac neceserly hold's the number one spot overall, imo, Biggie is far more structurewise progressive, Pac always brought that "in yo face-no mind acrobatics" typa heat, which actually was one of his main greatnesses, alowed the most regressed dumb fucks feel his shit as much as the intelectual listeners did,huge acsessabillity, which was seemingly intended, or at least expected. Biggie's structural complexity and cinematism where visably more thought through judging by the result(regardless of how he used to record his shit), he seemed much more concentrated and his diversity was visable only when it was required thematicly, unlike Pac's everlasting-non stop diversity, yet these seemingly "no acsess for non heads" attitude his lyrical agenda pressented did not heart his acsessabillity. That's why I gard Biggie one rank higher than Pac.
As far as Slim goes, there are times I feel he has quallities of them both combined within his sick head at the same time, so with time I may come to a conclusion he should be garded higher than Biggie, yet it's hard to let go off proven greats so this decision will take some time.
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

The Watcher

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2003, 06:30:31 AM »
i think Em is above Biggie in some sense -- but there will always be that feeling that if Biggie didnt get killed, would he have become even greater? Same goes for 'Pac. Em is probably the greatest alive today, closer to the most well-rounded MC than anyone around (IMO).

army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

N-Sane Brain

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2003, 07:20:18 AM »
...I think the reason Biggie is always listed #2 is because he died (no offense, RIP)...

LoL! It's the same what I think about 'Pac. IMO I think that Biggie should be on a higher rank than 'Pac. But I would never say, that even one of them should be called the best rapper. As many people said before me, 'Pac and Biggie are much overrated!

I also don't feel what Hatesrats said (that Eminem has uninterestin' topics), 'cause they got more sense, then if somebody is rappin' about how many dudes he killed today ::)

...You don't have to come from the same background as the rappers you like to like them. I sure as hell can't relate to 99.9% of the shit people say on record. But I don't like who I like because they're like me - I like who I like because they are who they are.

Agree 100%!

ARYC

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2003, 07:48:40 AM »
"but most lists of greatest rappers have 1. 2pac, 2. Notorious B.I.G. and 3. Either Eminem or someone else"

maybe the MTV/B.E.T. lists , or teeny bopper's lists . but most hip hop heads would place guys like KRS one and Rakim above eminem  just based on how much they've done for hip hop. Eminem ,even though he's a very skilled MC, hasn't done enough to be recognised as one of the ALL TIME greats.maybe one of the best CURRENT MCs but not of all time ...not yet anyway.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2003, 08:47:37 AM »
My list has always gone 1. 2Pac, because no other rapper changed the game like he did. He altered hip-hop forever. His emotions are second to non and no one can touch his depth. 2. Rakim, the best lyrist hands down. 3. Nas, for many years, dropping classics. 4. Biggie, best flow, story telling, wasn't as deep, could be though, but skillz were great. 5. Ice Cube, largly overlooked, one of the greatest ever, and deserves the regonizion. 6. Scarface, 7. Big Daddy Kane, 8. KRS-One, 9. Snoop Dogg, 10. Jay-Z, 11. LL Cool J, then at number 12. Eminem, 13. Method Man, 14. Lauryn Hill and 15. Big Pun
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 08:48:51 AM by M Dogg »

PLANT

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2003, 12:31:21 PM »
I just dont like the shit Eminem raps about...He always seems like he's whinning about something, and strives on creating controversy over stupid shit...

Biggie on the other hand, was one of the realest muthafuckers ever on the mic, spit the truth.  Big could paint the best picture in your head and everything seemed so natural to him.

Sometimes Eminem tries to hard IMO and maybe has turned himself into something he is not.  Eminem relies on gimmicks and publicity stunts to sell (even tho he IS dope on the mic)

Reef

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Guess Whos Back?
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2003, 12:32:49 PM »
my list goes pac, eminem and biggie out of them three... BUt ive never really rated biggie... Ive felt the odd track but other than that i aint really a fan