Author Topic: Biggest Tragic Death in Hiphop?  (Read 1225 times)

Trauma-san

Biggest Tragic Death in Hiphop?
« on: October 24, 2003, 05:22:32 PM »
Who do yall think was the biggest tragedy when they died?  For me, it's easily Biggie.  Why? Because even though many would say Pac, or Pac's better, to me, not only was Pac NOT better than Biggie (opinion), but Biggie had only dropped 1 album (2 finished) when he died, and had so much more to give.  Pac had already recorded and released several albums, we'd seen what Pac had to offer.  Biggie, we hadn't seen shit yet.  Also, Pac lived that lifestyle, he knew he was going to die in a blaze, it was no tragedy when he got shot, because everybody knew it would happen.  Biggie was (by all appearances, at least) a good guy who didn't live or desire the gangsta life he rapped about.  

So, to me, Pac is out of the question, Biggie's death was the biggest tragedy to hit hiphop.  I can understand well worded arguments on Mauseburg, etc. but I can't see how Pac could be a bigger tragedy.  What do yall think?

Chuck

Re:Biggest Tragic Death in Hiphop?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 05:27:13 PM »
Mayne you got it all wrong...when DJ Screw died my nig...there wouldn't be no South without DJ Screw...R.I.P. Robert Davis...

There would be not internet without Al Gore...,
Penny B.

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 05:32:49 PM »
Well, I was gonna look up more info on DJ Screw then I read your last line and realized you didn't know what the fuck you were talking about.  

Chuck

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2003, 05:36:34 PM »
Well, I was gonna look up more info on DJ Screw then I read your last line and realized you didn't know what the fuck you were talking about.  

Well I was gonna take you seriously but I realized you had Buddy Holly in your sig and avator...go listen to Weezer or something...

Pick up new Source DJ Screw is the cover story in that piece...,
Penny B.

Noon Bank$

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Bankin' It
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2003, 05:49:50 PM »
^lmao

I'd have to say BIG to, and for the same reasons as Buddy Holly. I was too young to remember, but I do know that he wasnt out too long and then he got popped.  :-\

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2003, 06:31:46 PM »
It's a hard decision for me.

Pac was improving dramatically each album and always switched his style. Me Against The World, All Eyez On Me and The 7 Day Theory are all different. I would have liked to seen what he had next for us. And his Makaveli period was his best work and he was improving lyrically with each album too.

Big died too quick yes and he was improving as well (Check his verse on "Victory"). His storytelling had become much more graphic as proven by "Niggaz Bleed" and "I Got A Story To Tell". Although Ready To Die was his better album he broke new ground and set new trends with Life After Death and obviously improved in his delivery, flow, etc.

R.I.P.

PLANT

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2003, 10:33:58 PM »
Biggie Smalls was tragic.....With Pac, you could see it coming.

RIP to both legends tho.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2003, 10:37:14 PM »
Big Pun he was such a good man ,he  was afraid to die , and he was always happy to lose weight and he was a great rapper ...a big talent but also a big lost

Chuck

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2003, 11:37:06 PM »
But naw seriously...Big L was the largest tradegy in Hip-Hop...boy had skill...lyrically would eat up Eminem or any other other rapper besides maybe Rakim...

Big L is one of the greatest rappers of all-time...,
Penny B.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 11:37:44 PM by Penny Nakedaway »

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2003, 11:48:00 PM »
For me there have been a few...

...poetic ...this one was real sad cos we all thought he had pulled thru n was in the clear then pop Gone!
...jam master jay...tupac & biggie equally (tho pac was an early fav of mine...you know when he wasnt "cool" to everyone)
Big Pun yes...
and dj screw...hell yes...seeing as the masterpiece he made and empire he built has only really become the phenomenon it is today since his death.
Sure there are more but its way too early to think at all right now .

pappy

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2003, 11:48:53 PM »
Big L...... he never had the chance to blow up.  he was about to blow up 2.  he was about to sign with the roc.  imagine how big the song ebonics would of been if L wasnt dead b/c no major lable is goin put money into a dead rapper unless there pac or big.  an how the L died is even more tragic.  He took 4 or 5 shots to the face point blank.   All over some street shit he wasnt even involved with.  it had to do with his bro an his bro was locked up so they merked L cuz they couldnt get to his brother.  how fucked up is that

RIP BIG L
1974-1999

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2003, 11:53:18 PM »
^^ True

Life isnt a bowl of cherries or a box or chocolates...its different degrres of shitty sometimes...

...im sure that he will come back brighter (if there is an afterlife)

Who knows

Casper

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2003, 11:54:37 PM »
and dj screw...hell yes...seeing as the masterpiece he made and empire he built has only really become the phenomenon it is today since his death.

8)

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2003, 12:10:10 AM »
Big L no doubt. He was definitely on the way up, man if he'd signed with the ROC he would have been massive. And he wouldn't have comprised either, you wouldn't be seeing him on no Neptunes bullshit if he was around now. Straight up lyrical excellence.

Pac lived it, and knew that this sort of shit could happen to him. Biggie was a tragedy, but to be honest I don't think he would have ever reached the level of Ready To Die again, he was moving towards a more commercial sound, and Puffy wanted him massive, which meant top 10 singles all the time.

Oh, and Jam Masta Jay definitely, he didn't deserve to die that early in his life, after all that he and Run DMC as a whole did for hiphop.

Don Breezio

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2003, 12:59:57 AM »
damn man...i didnt even realize poetic was dead...i just got into that song "one life"...thats like my favorite song now...i didnt know he was dead...dude had so much talent and emotion...damn...

my two would be:

Jam Master Jay (a legend...of course will be missed)
Poetic (just found out but thats a damn shame)