Author Topic: Obie Trice - Cheers  (Read 2030 times)

Foesum

Obie Trice - Cheers
« on: October 26, 2003, 01:18:00 PM »
Average Man(4:16)- Obie Trice just gives us the first blow here, what a way to start an album, this song is too sick. Good beat with good lyrics to match leaves Obie looking very good. 5/5

Cheers(3:34)- Although I really don't like how the song starts, but i can't complain cuz the beat is sick. Obie celebrates his fellow dead brothers and he still be here. 4.5/5

Got Some Teeth(3:47)- The beat here is very good, and there are some pretty funny lyrics from Obie, good choice for a first single to play in the clubs. Some people think the songs alittle goofy but naw, its all good. 4.5/5

Lady (f. Eminem)(4:45)- The beat, I dunno, it's taking me a bit to get use to it. The lyrics are too good to be true though, so they save the song a bit. Em's lyrics are much better than Obie's here though, so he steals the show. 4.5/5

Don't Come Down(5:11)- Obie's version of "Sing For A Moment". But I found the chorus a bit annoying sometimes. 4.5/5

The Set-Up (f. Nate Dogg)(3:13)- Easily the best song of the album, in my opinion. The beat is pure dopeness. Nate comes off hot with a hook, and once again Obie rips it. Would've liked the dopeness to last longer though, oh well. 5/5

Bad Bitch(4:09)- I love the chorus, thats really it. An average song, but it's still one to repeat. 4/5

Shit Hits The Fan (f. Dr.Dre & Em)(4:52)- This song took me a couple listens to get use to. Amazing lyrics, an amazing beat, an amazing chorus, plus its a diss to Ja Fool. 4.5/10

Follow My Life(3:55)- Another highlight of the album, Im shocked that this is a Fredwreck beat. But no doubt Obie comes REALLY hard on this. The beat is REALLY banging once again. The energy in this song is unbelievable. 5/5

We All Die 1 Day (f. 50 Cent, Eminem & Lloyd Banks)(5:29)- I already heard this awhile ago, everyone comes good, especially Lloyd, but i don't like the beat very much. 3.5/5

Spread Yo Shit (f. Kon Artist)(4:03)- The intros funny as hell, Kon Artist comes great on this, but Obie beats him. 4.5/5

Look in My Eyes (f. Nate Dogg)(4:50)- Dr. Dre helms the boards for this track. The beat once again, took me awhile to get use to. But now its real good. Nate could've come better though. Other than that it has good verses which help the song stay on point. 4.5/5

Hands On You (f. Eminem)(5:12)- At first, i hated the beat and everything about the song. Now, i still do. Maybe if Em had a verse i'd enjoy it more. The lyrics are the only good thing about the song. 2.5/5

Hoodrats(4:12)-  Decent beat, funny lyrics, Obie raps about the downfalls of being linked to a hoodrat so you know its gotta be good. 4/5

Oh! (f. Busta Rhymes)(4:30)- Good stuff, i really wish Busta came with a verse. Chorus is still aight, and the beat and lyrics are good. 4/5

Never Forget Ya(4:27)- A thoughtful song and nothing more, Obie can't go soft or it will screw him over. 3/5

Outro (f. D-12)(4:02)- Whoa, what a way to leave too, Em outshines everyone. Bizarre and Proof come tight, but not as tight as Kuniva's. Making an amazing debut end on a good note. 4.5/5

Overall an amazing debut. I ain't gotta hope Obie comes hard on his next one cuz i know he will definetely do so.

8.5/10

Jome

Re:Obie Trice - Cheers
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 07:02:54 PM »
Average Man - 4.5/5
Great start for a album, a pounding beat gives it a eery dark feeling.

Cheers - 3.5/5
The track is pretty average, but Obie comes off pretty coo.
The chorus is aight, but it sounds unfinished somehow.

Got Some Teeth - 3.75/5
The track is actually pretty dope, but the dumbed down lyrics and childish sound-effects drags it down.
Cartoon-effects is NOT dope on a otherwise grimey album. Great chorus.

Lady (f. Eminem) - 4.5/5
Excellent track, and a GREAT chorus provided by Eminem.
A sequel to "Drips", but done better this time.
A hard-hitting beat, and Eminems 2nd verse is pretty damn sick.

Don't Come Down -  4.5/5
Obie tells a great story on a sweet beat, and the sampled chorus is kinda like a added bonus.
Great track, where Obie really comes off dope.

The Set-Up (f. Nate Dogg) - 5/5
This beat is ADDICTIVE.
I didn't like it at first, but it's genius in all its simplicity.
Obie tells a story about a bitch setting you up on some sucka-shit, but it's Nate Dogg who steals the show with a great chorus.

Bad Bitch - 4.25/5
Obie doesn't really say anything on this track, but the FUNKY beat by Timbo, and the dope chorus by the same man saves the track.

Shit Hits The Fan (f. Dr.Dre & Em) 5/5
A hardhitting beat, and a great disstrack that will go down in history.
Obies verse is really not needed, and Eminem does a great chorus.

Follow My Life 3.5/5
The beat doesn't really do much for me, but in the chorus the beat changes up and gets interesting with a nice chorus by Obie.
Nice storytelling, and the track grows on you.

We All Die 1 Day (f. 50 Cent, Eminem & Lloyd Banks) - 4.75/5
A banging beat, and a sweet chorus by LLoyd Banks.
Hard to say which verse is best, but it's sure a banger.
Some might say that this track should have been Lloyd Banks ft....

Spread Yo Shit (f. Kon Artist) - 3/5
Leftover track, in my opinion.
The beat is poor, but the chorus saves the track from being garbage.

Look in My Eyes (f. Nate Dogg) - 5/5
A more immediate banger than "The setup", a classic Dre-beat with a trademark Nate Dogg chorus.
Obie doesn't impress on this track, doesn't really say much at all.
Still, the classic Dre-beat with the sweeet chorus makes it classic to me.

Hands On You (f. Eminem) - 4/5
Original beat, some different shit.
Somewhat successful too, and a cool chorus by Eminem.
Still, you'll get bored with the track after a while.

Hoodrats - 2/5
Definately drags the album down.
Smells leftover all the way.

Oh! (f. Busta Rhymes) 4.5/5
Great beat and a awesome chorus by Bussa Bus.
Obie doesn't really shine on this, but gets the job done.

Never Forget Ya - 4/5
A thoughtful song and a nice concept.
Soulful singer in the background makes the track believeable.

Outro (f. D-12) - 4.5/5
Another Eminem-banger, and a overall very dope track.
No chorus, and it's not needed neither.
That's probably why they couldn't find a name for it too.

8.5/10

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 02:32:57 PM »
^^^lol that rating is mad overrated imo.........givin shit hits the fans 5/5 for the diss.......like its something special and givin "oh".......4.5/5..........whoa........lol...........and ya giv the album a 4.25 mics album basically and say stillmatic is a 4 mis album...........so 50's and obies albums are better than stillmatic???..........................dont get me wrong dawg, i aint hatin on ya, cuz i feel ya one of the more respected hiphop heads in wcc.......but u can do better than this man, i know u love eminem beats n shit, but u gotta come more clean with ya reviews than this......imo...lol dont get me wrong tho, like i said i aint hatin on ya, jus sayin...........i remember i did the same thing when snoops ptctbtb and xzbits man vs machine album came out, but i dunno.........i think you'll chage ya more mind the more u hear it.......

anyways to average hiphop head, this is my review, which i think is a little less biased......

Average Man - 4/5
Great start for a album, sets the tone for a dark feeled album

Cheers - 4/5
this track was sicker back in the day but i think they changed it up abit for the album, seems abit softer, not as dope as befo - sounds like they tried changin it and jus though fuck it, throw on the album

Got Some Teeth - 3.75/5

without me pt 2...........if eminem rapped this song, he would have sold million copies 1st week...........but obie, YOUR BLACK DAWG, aint no suburb momma buyin their kids your shit.....u gotta come with some more noddin joint like 50's in da club........but it aint that bad a joint......jus not a obie joint.....

Lady (f. Eminem) - 4.5/5
def a dope joint......the beats a lil simple and annoyin......specially the drums.......one of eminems beat making weaknesses......always seem to be messy.......but is hook is mad tite and all the verses are sick.....

Don't Come Down -  4.5/5
this joint is sick.........damn, def single material
The Set-Up (f. Nate Dogg) - 5/5
This beat got that neptunes sound on it, but dre does it his own way........and the beats sick, obie spits nice, specially his 2nd verse and nates hook is like the killer touch for this joint.......

Bad Bitch - 3.75/5
will timbo ever giv a dre affiliated cat a dope beat???......to be fair his hooks dope though
Shit Hits The Fan (f. Dr.Dre & Em) 4/5
beats wayy to repititive, but its still kinda catchy......eminem hook is aiight and obies verse is weak but dre holds the joint together, def worth a hear but nuttin much of a diss track

Follow My Life 3.75/5
nothing special........still worth a listen though for the change in beat, something different but it aint nuttin worth buyin a album fo

We All Die 1 Day (f. 50 Cent, Eminem & Lloyd Banks) - 4.5/5
a nice beat, kinda catchy but its not something youd find innavotive or anything, another one of eminems producin problems is he dont ever switch styles......all his beats are way to similar for a new comer to the producin game...but u know, this is good....and they all drop heat, which is a main ingrediant for a dope track at least

Spread Yo Shit (f. Kon Artist) - 3/5
wack.......

Look in My Eyes () - 4.5/5
def a sick sick beat, more strings in this dre beat, kinda simple though and repititive which stops it from being a 5 mic joint but its still dope.....dres mixin his classic style with some more slow strings shit here, but u know, dres can do better than this even though most cats cant make a beat like this........nates verse is sick and obie drops some nice line......"fuck a image of a gansta yo that aint rap dawg/be who ya wanna be but let it be fact dawg/dont never let a nigga tel u how u should act dawg/specially when u fuckin with automatic gats dawg!"...or something like that, but its sick imo..

Hands On You (f. Eminem) - 3.75/5
did eminem do this beat?!?!?! damn, good to see him trying.....u know the cat dont gotta be scared of makin a poor beat now and again cuz that way he'll be stuck makin the same beats all the time and he'll never improve........its called experminting, that way soon hye'll find a style which is his that ppl will DIG........not jus any style thats his which only groupies will feel........dont get me wrong, eminem makes sick beats now and again, but his to borin with his style........good to see him trying some other shit here

Hoodrats - 2.5/5
wot a joint,lol............why did this make the album???

Oh! (f. Busta Rhymes) 5/5
this is a sick beat, sounds like dre was tryin to make a detox beat but it wasnt good enoughh for him but sick enough still to put on obies album.........the beat changed up in each verse and gets sicker and sicker........obies comes tight no doubt and bustas hook is like whoa

Never Forget Ya - 3.75/5
nice idea, jus didnt come out to well

Outro (f. D-12) - 4/5
nice way to finish the album, nice beat to

overall............cuz its a debut album..........its a 4 mic album imo if it was 2nd or 3rd album........itd be 3.75 mics but being a debut, u gotta recognize and giv it the 4 mics.........but obies big problem is he cant hold a track down by himself, he always seems to be dependent on other factors..........such as a good beat, or concept or guest appearance...........he can write, jus cant spit what he says with the venom that makes u think fuck everyone else, i wanna hear wot obies gonna say.........the average hiphop listener will be left with the feeling of what beat is comin in next or what rappers gone rap over the beat next........but overall its a good album to start off ya career with - but not something that'l open cats eyes up and make niose maybe the way obie wanted them to

peace

pappy

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 06:24:30 PM »
i thought the album was mad ill

Jome

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 06:40:56 PM »
^^^lol that rating is mad overrated imo.......
 ya giv the album a 4.25 mics album

overall............cuz its a debut album..........its a 4 mic album imo if it was 2nd or 3rd album........itd be 3.75 mics but being a debut, u gotta recognize and giv it the 4 mics.......

LoL @ the contradictions.
You give the album 0.25 less mics than me, so I'm biased and you're not ??  ::)

You just mad cuz people call "Blueprint" classic, and "Stillmatic" doesn't hold the same weight.

;)

Don Breezio

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 07:16:21 PM »
i agree that this album was off the hook...i wouldnt say its overrated at all...actually the only song i think is overrated is Shit Hits The Fan and thats just cuz i dont like the beat or any of the song really...other than that every song is dope...got some teeth is one of very few songs that for some reason doesnt seem to get old..

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 11:18:27 AM »
^^^lol that rating is mad overrated imo.......
 ya giv the album a 4.25 mics album

overall............cuz its a debut album..........its a 4 mic album imo if it was 2nd or 3rd album........itd be 3.75 mics but being a debut, u gotta recognize and giv it the 4 mics.......

LoL @ the contradictions.
You give the album 0.25 less mics than me, so I'm biased and you're not ??  ::)

You just mad cuz people call "Blueprint" classic, and "Stillmatic" doesn't hold the same weight.

;)

lol, aiight maybe 0.25 isnt much difference, but if u read my review...(by the way read it dawg, took effort muthafucka ,lol)
you'll see i put that it it was jus a another obie album it would have been 3.75 mics imo.......and 0.5 mics is a big difference in albums no doubt......

oh and of blueprint, yes its true some cats consider it a classic("hiphop is in a state of 911" best clarified that though) and many cats consider stillmatic classic to which is def a sicker album than blueprint........but what i find funny is u basically are saying 50's and obies albums are sicker than stillmatic.........which is jus a joke......imo........unless when u mean a strong 4 mic album about stillmatic u was on about it being in the higher 4 mic category

peace

Jome

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 07:53:15 PM »
....but what i find funny is u basically are saying 50's and obies albums are sicker than stillmatic.........which is jus a joke......imo........unless when u mean a strong 4 mic album about stillmatic u was on about it being in the higher 4 mic category

peace

In my opinion, GRODT is better than Stillmatic.
Cheers probably not, but they're close.

I think Stillmatic is mad overrated, Nas might spit some sick shit, but if you look deeper in the lyrics, you'll find contradictions and bullshit, imo.
The beats are subpar too, Nas could get all the producers he wants, so it's not good enough.
But it all comes down to opinions, so..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 07:55:00 PM by Jome Banks »

KVB

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 08:08:30 PM »
Here's my review:

01. Average Man
Very nice rock-laden beat by Eminem. One of Obie's best performances lyric-wise, but it's really the beat which makes this song. Great opening track for the album.
4.5/5

02. Cheers
Nice track. Production is good, even if it sounds a little non-professional. Obie comes off pretty tight too, speaking of his dead homies and how he's gonna be celebrating instead of mourning them. I'm in love with the hook.
4.25/5

03. Got Some Teeth
I don't like this song at all. Even if Obie comes with some good lyrics, the childish sound effects and the lazy beat are major setbacks, add to that the topic is very unoriginal and redundant. Filler track, and a bad choice for 1st single.
3/5

04. Lady f/ Eminem
Kind of a sequel to "Drips" off of The Eminem Show, and Em outshines Obie again. I can't feel the beat, which is far too simple and generic, but Em saves this track with some sick verses.
3.75/5

05. Don't Come Down
Whoa. Nice beat, Em using vocal samples in his beats for the first time (obviously influenced from The Blueprint), which makes you wonder who really produced it, Em or Emile (?). Obie however says nothing impressive on this song, but the beat with the vocal sample is so amazing that I have to give this a high rating.
4.25/5

06. The Set Up f/ Nate Dogg
Another example of mediocre emceeing by Obie here. Dre's beat is good, but is almost a complete rip off of Busta Rhymes' "What It Is", produced by The Neptunes. Nate's excellent hook is what saves this track, other than that it's kinda wack. A waste of a dope Dr. Dre beat.
3/5

07. Bad Bitch
Tight Timbo beat here, really feeling it. Obie kicks some nice lyrics too, and Timbo's hook is dope. Nice track.
4.25/5

08. Shit Hits The Fan f/ Dr. Dre & Eminem
Dre strikes back at Ja Rule on here. He provides the beat too, which is simple, but effective. His verse is pretty good, and outshines Obie's by far, but he still comes up short against Ja Rule efforts such as "Loose Change". Eminem does the hook which is tight but makes him look like a phony. Obie should have been kept off this track and replaced with Eminem on the 2nd verse. Still a verry tight track.
4.5/5

09. Follow My Life
Not feeling this at all. Beat and emceeing is both mediocre, which basically, equals a mediocre song.
2.5/5

10. We All Die One Day f/ Eminem, 50 Cent & Lloyd Banks of G-Unit
Fire. This my favorite song of the album by far. The beat is ill. All emcees kick tight verses but it is Eminem and Lloyd Banks who steals the show. Eminem's verse is so mind bendingly brilliant it's a joy to listen to it every time. 50 Cent's verse is the worst but in the end it doesn't matter much, still a sick track and in my opinion the best this album has to offer.
4.75/5

11. Spread Yo Shit f/ Kon Artis
Head-nodding beat by Kon Artis. Obie pulls off a decent performance on the mic, and the chorus, (also performed by Kon Artis) is funny. Overall not a bad track, even if doesn't stand out in any way.
3.5/5

12. Look In My Eyes f/ Nate Dogg
A huge improvement from the previous Obie/Nate collabo. Obie stepped up a bit on the mic for this one, he has some nice lines, even if he still sounds so damn unimpressive. Yet another great hook by Nate, and the Dre beat is KILLER. Overall it's a great song.
4/5

13. Hands On You f/ Eminem
Goddamn I hate this beat, on the real this has gotta be one of the weakest beats I've ever heard in hip-hop, I'm serious here. Once again Obie says nothing, and Eminem's hook adds absolutely nothing to the track either. Zzzzz.
2.5/5

14. Hoodrats
I can't stand this song. It's about annoying hoodrats and how they get in his way, nothing really interesting. Production is weak and even if Obie has some good lines this song is still filler.
3/5

15. Oh! f/ Busta Rhymes
Wow. Incredible Dre beat here. Instantly one of my favorites. Busta rips the hook and I actually like Obie on here, even if he doesn't spit flames. Really nice track.
4.25/5

16. Never Forget Ya
Obie reminisces on his lost ones here, he doesn't make an impression lyric-wise here, even though it's listenable. Maybe he just lacks the talent to write a song like this. It's a decent track still.
3.5/5

17. Outro f/ Eminem & D12
Em & D12 spit nice verses. The beat is sub-par though. It's VERY generic and unimaginative. Then again that's the typical receipt for a Em beat. Then again I can't complain much, the verses are pretty much sick, with Bizarre ending the show on a humorous tip. Good way to finish off the album.
4/5

obies big problem is he cant hold a track down by himself, he always seems to be dependent on other factors..........such as a good beat, or concept or guest appearance...........he can write, jus cant spit what he says with the venom that makes u think fuck everyone else, i wanna hear wot obies gonna say.........the average hiphop listener will be left with the feeling of what beat is comin in next or what rappers gone rap over the beat next........

This is a good summary of Obie's problems, which are reoccuring often on the album. In the end I would give it 3.75 mics. Decent album but with very few stand out tracks and little replay value. Cop it if you're a Shady/Aftermath fan, but be wary of Obie's weaknesses. Peace

Don Breezio

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 10:06:48 PM »
....but what i find funny is u basically are saying 50's and obies albums are sicker than stillmatic.........which is jus a joke......imo........unless when u mean a strong 4 mic album about stillmatic u was on about it being in the higher 4 mic category

peace

In my opinion, GRODT is better than Stillmatic.
Cheers probably not, but they're close.

I think Stillmatic is mad overrated, Nas might spit some sick shit, but if you look deeper in the lyrics, you'll find contradictions and bullshit, imo.
The beats are subpar too, Nas could get all the producers he wants, so it's not good enough.
But it all comes down to opinions, so..

right...and 50 never contradicts himself  ::)

Foesum

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 04:49:49 PM »
brothers, brothers............

its my damn thread so shut the fuck up  ;D

PLANT

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2003, 11:59:49 AM »

snoopdoggfan32002

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2004, 06:19:36 AM »
1.Average man 4/5
2.Cheers 4.5/5
3.Got some teeth 5/5
4.Lady feat.eminem 4.5/5
5.Don't come down 5/5
6.The set up feat. Nate Dogg 5/5
7.Bad bitch 5/5
8.Shit hits the fan 4/5
9.Follow my life 5/5
10.We all die one day f. 50cent, Loyd banks and Eminem 5/5
11.Spread yo shit feat. Kon Artist 5/5
12.Look in my eyes feat Nate Dogg 5/5
13. Hands on you feat. Eminem 5/5
14.Hoodrats 5/5
15.Oh! feat Busta Rhymes 5/5
16.Never forget ya 4/5
17. Outro feat. d12 and Eminem 2/5

overall I give it a 8/10
Cause is a really good album

The Predator

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2004, 07:29:30 AM »
Obies debut gets a solid 8/10.

Shit Hits The Fan fuckin bangs hard ya'll know it and i know it.
I like the early soul assasin's influence on Follow My Life.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 07:30:20 AM by Sniper »

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2004, 10:42:06 AM »
this album lacks any real replay value, and obie got no mic presence, he cant hold a track down for 4:30 seconds, nuff said.........this aint made no niose even with all the eminem backing and everythin pretty much tells the whole story.........noone is denying his a good lyricist........but theres mo to it than that........he didnt make lots of niose cuz his album wasnt good enough, simple as that.......when u on a label like aftermath or shady records.......u wont get a better chance to blow....and if u gotta sick album where u makin niose and hold things down, u gonna make lots of niose but obie failed, its that simple......it'l be interestin to see when his next album drops.......he should have immproved by then cuz after all, its still jus his debut to be fair.......but some groupies been ridin on this abit to hard........but really it aint even a sick cd..........id rather bump some tracks off beg for mercy than this........atleast they got some mic presence even if there album was weak

peace