Author Topic: Why The West Will Not Blow Up...  (Read 895 times)

SGV

Why The West Will Not Blow Up...
« on: October 30, 2003, 10:31:56 PM »
First: Don't step in here on some childish name-calling-insulting bullshit. If you disagree, say it, but be mature about it. Don't come in here on no other topics. You got another topic, make a thread, don't fuck this one up.

The West won't blow up until Dre and Snoop start bringing more artits to the forefront. Snoop tried with Tha Eastsidaz, but being on TVT didn't help. As tight as Tha Eastsidaz are, they're not commercial material. They're too gangsta. Being gangsta is coo, now, but not when you're a real gangsta. They want rhinestone rags and shit like that. Snoop's gets props for that. Then he tried with Doggystyle All-Stars, but they were going nowhere with that single. He chose a horrible single. Plus, nobody knew who E-White and the rest were. That was poor marketing. Again, Snoop gets props.

Dre, well Dre hasn't helped anyone on the West, commericially, since Xzibit. He gave Knoc a pretty weak track. It was tight, but nothing that would make him a star. And, he gave Xzibit wack shit, too.

So, now that I've pointed out what they have done, let me point out what they need to do and why.

The commericial audience won't accept anything from the West Coast if it's too gangsta. This is a known fact. The only acts from the West making a splash are Dre and Snoop. Xzibit is mildly up there, but he falls under the same category. Studio muthafuckas. So, people like to hear from them, they're not that threatening. What Snoop and Dre need to do is this.

Grab some of the brightest acts out West, F.A.B., Locksmith, Sly Boogy, Planet Asia, Chace In, Ahmad, all the respectable emcees, and help bring them up. Dre and Snoop don't need the sales no more, they're already rich. Throw some of these cats on your albums, your singles. Pop up on their albums, lace them with tight beats(like Dre did 50) and tight hooks(like Snoop did Chingy) and let them do the rest. Dre and Snoop need to walk these cats into the labels and say "hey check out this cat, he got spits." It's that simple. A label would listen to, say, Chace Infinite, if Snoop or Dre walked him in. If Chace came with the same lyrics, but no Snoop/Dre, the label wouldn't give him the time of day.

Now, do Dre and Snoop have to do this? No. But, if they want to be, and if people want to call them, the Kings of the West Coast, they're going to have to. It's plain and simple. If you call Dre and Snoop the Kings of the West, and say they don't need to support out talent, then I can't take you serious.

That's all it is. Dre and Snoop are SUPPOSED to be the Kings of the West, but they're not leading their Kingdom, like a King is supposed to.

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
Re:Why The West Will Not Blow Up...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 11:04:02 PM »
LOL @ Snoop & Dre...

I'ma say it FUCK THEM..lol

The talent is way beyond those foo's..
Fuck them.
Hatesrats 2oooTre

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 11:05:25 PM »

I appreciate ure' point's SGV...
Westcoast don't need those fucken washed up bitches anymore tho..

ImO..
Fuck Em'..
Hatesrats 2oooTre

SGV

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2003, 11:07:38 PM »
As a whole, we don't need them. But, to blow up, we do. That's the only way. The West will never be accepted without Dre or Snoop. It's a fact. A shame too. Regardless of how tight artists like DJ Quik, E-40, Jayo Felony, Alkoholiks, etc. are, they will never bring the West up to the commercial status it once was. Dre and Snoop are the only ones that are accepted.

SGV

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2003, 11:11:25 PM »

I appreciate ure' point's SGV...
Westcoast don't need those fucken washed up bitches anymore tho..

ImO..
Fuck Em'..
Hatesrats 2oooTre
This is why you're one of the realest cats on this board. Speaking your mind. If I could add on to your props I would.

ecrazy

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2003, 11:51:49 PM »
Wow, So True....But I Also feel that the media is not ready for the west coast to come back, because they are afraid of how "Gangsta" The West Really is...IMO

mauzip

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 11:55:08 PM »
As a whole, we don't need them. But, to blow up, we do. That's the only way. The West will never be accepted without Dre or Snoop. It's a fact. A shame too. Regardless of how tight artists like DJ Quik, E-40, Jayo Felony, Alkoholiks, etc. are, they will never bring the West up to the commercial status it once was. Dre and Snoop are the only ones that are accepted.

And once the West has the commercial status it once had everybody will start complaining that they have either too much success or they have too much bling bling :-\

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 11:59:19 PM »
I really don't think Snoop and Dre, especially Snoop, are needed anymore. Maybe Dre because he can produce, but Snoop, unless his cleaning up his business, really isn't needed. But to see Sly Boogie, Hittman (remember him) Knoc'Turn'al, Ras Kass and all the true westcoast talent blow up would be tight. Hell, but who knows if you need Dre and Snoop, shit, Baby Beesh (now Baby Bash) blew up on his damn self, Suga Suga is heating up airwaves, and gets video play. Now that's what I'm talking about.

mauzip

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2003, 12:05:35 AM »
I really don't think Snoop and Dre, especially Snoop, are needed anymore. Maybe Dre because he can produce, but Snoop, unless his cleaning up his business, really isn't needed. But to see Sly Boogie, Hittman (remember him) Knoc'Turn'al, Ras Kass and all the true westcoast talent blow up would be tight. Hell, but who knows if you need Dre and Snoop, shit, Baby Beesh (now Baby Bash) blew up on his damn self, Suga Suga is heating up airwaves, and gets video play. Now that's what I'm talking about.

I've never heard Baby Bash on the radio or seen him on tv. Actually, I can't even name a song that he made.

SGV

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2003, 12:25:25 AM »
Baby Beesh (now Baby Bash) blew up on his damn self, Suga Suga is heating up airwaves, and gets video play. Now that's what I'm talking about.
There's a catch there. He's not being promoted as a Bay rapper. He's being promoted as a Houston rapper. Even Universal's websites states he's from Houston. Of course, we're getting short changed on that.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 12:33:07 AM »

I've never heard Baby Bash on the radio or seen him on tv. Actually, I can't even name a song that he made.

you from Europe muthaphukka. They listen to Black Eye Peas over 2Pac, and TQ over DJ Quik. That's not saying much.

And yeah SGV, I hear what your saying, but he has claimed Bay Area rapper, and stated that his went back to his westcoast sound for this album. Though a major lable is going to try and ride the Southern Explosion that has happen in hip-hop for money. Fuck that, we all know that's a westcoast Bay rapper.

smerlus

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2003, 12:34:56 AM »
to be honest i really don't want the west to blow up and become pop. i like listening to thier shit and have other people like "who's that?" it's like having a restaraunt that has good ass food and you and a couple of friends know about it. once they start to be like mcdonald's then it loses it touch....

you named dj quik, e 40, and jayo cause they are doing thier shit, they're original and no one can fuck with what they do....if they were to become pop then they'd just be like everyone else....

i'm a fan of westcoast music period, if i wanted pop shit, then i'd have no problem turning on the radio...

mauzip

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2003, 12:35:49 AM »

you from Europe muthaphukka. They listen to Black Eye Peas over 2Pac, and TQ over DJ Quik. That's not saying much.

And yeah SGV, I hear what your saying, but he has claimed Bay Area rapper, and stated that his went back to his westcoast sound for this album. Though a major lable is going to try and ride the Southern Explosion that has happen in hip-hop for money. Fuck that, we all know that's a westcoast Bay rapper.

I also lived a year in America muthaphukka

Don Seer

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2003, 02:14:47 AM »
Yeah its all snoop+dre's fault...   ::)

What about...

Dilated Peoples?  They rep LA and do just fine... right?
People Under The Stairs? bay cats doin just fine without screamin wessssydeeeee non stop

ok those 2 arent typical 'west coast gangsta shit'.. more into the backpacker zone.. strong affiliation would probably hurt their market.. but why?

because of the past the west coast is associated mainly with ignorant ass disses and gangstaism.

Shade Sheist damn near did it on this own (if you discount the payola accusations..) until his album release fucked up..

Nates got huge exposure through tracks like 'next episode' and 'Oh no' (and a zillion others..) oh but theres a strong snoop + dre affiil.. so its all because of that, not because he can sing his ass off..  ::) ..on his own he's never been that big, but often his guest spots are stellar... funny huh?

Here's what I believe is a strong case that proves Dre+Snoop affiliation wont blow you up.

Dj Quik... Quik shoulda got better exposure from Addictive.. in a way Dre put him on there.

So.. lets see.. Dre.. super-producer acussed of having a big assed ego.. let another producer have the first single track on a project from his own label...

Oh and what about Dre putting Quik on 'put it on me'?

The song was on the Dre+Snoop affil'd movie Training Day, it was on the soundtrack for that movie! and had a video.. and that video's on the DVD.. and quik even put the song on this own album and Quik later worked with  Truth Hurts and put another track with her on his own album.

Dre put quik on two large songs in relatively quick succession showing both sides of him, one as a rapper, one as a producer..

Did this blow Quik up? naww not really?  I mean what else can they do unless they sign quik's ass and pump loadsa money into promoting him? but quik's been in the game too long.. he gotta have his own shit right?

Can you imagine a Quik album with a lot of guest producers?
Can you imagine a Quik album without all his people all over it?

I think Quik's done the right thing here, but hell.. he gotta be frustrated.

I mean damn.. if all that didnt work for Quik who everyone admits is talented and shoulda blown up.. what the hell can you do?!

Why you think people need Snoop+Dre to hold their hands?

Commercially 'straight gangsta' is played out, and has been for years.]
(but we still love it!.. but in the public eye its gone)

These days I think the industry is scared of certain west coast mentalities and stereotypes.

Why are the always pushing a gimmick... mackin, flossing, blingin.. poppin ya colla.. ridin on spinners, pimpin.. stuntin.. etc etc..

whats next?  having the name of your crew tattoo'd on ya forehead?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 02:19:50 AM by B-Ceezy ('seer) »

Adam Donnelly

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WYTHENSHAWE
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2003, 02:25:06 AM »
Blaming Snoop & Dre again Im tired of this shit  :-\