Author Topic: Why The West Will Not Blow Up...  (Read 877 times)

Don Seer

Re:Why The West Will Not Blow Up...
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2003, 02:29:09 AM »
SGV for ya...

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2003, 04:19:14 AM »

Then he tried with Doggystyle All-Stars, but they were going nowhere with that single. He chose a horrible single. Plus, nobody knew who E-White and the rest were. That was poor marketing.

Grab some of the brightest acts out West, F.A.B., Locksmith, Sly Boogy, Planet Asia, Chace In, Ahmad, all the respectable emcees, and help bring them up.

Don't you think singles with these 'brightest acts' would end up exactly the same way as E-White,Soopafly & RBX on the Doggystyle-Allstars singles?I don't see the difference between them.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2003, 04:19:38 AM »
Blaming Snoop & Dre again Im tired of this shit  :-\

that too
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

Trauma-san

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2003, 06:15:51 AM »
I'll tell you exactly why the west won't blow up...

It's because hip-hop is dead.  It doesn't have any of the potential of any of the other genres of music, and the shit Dre & Snoop helped found is what killed it.  When hiphop started, it had hope and was inspiring, because people were rapping about real issues.  You had people like Big Daddy Kane dissing people and bragging and shit on wax, but most rap was just harmless uplifting "lets have a party" type shit.  Then you had public Enemy who helped evolve it into a deeper theme, this is ALL similar to how other music genres evolved (started off mainstream, grew more complex)... then NWA came along, and brought all kinds of negativity into rap, they're gonna kill you, they're gonna rape her, fuck this, fuck that.  

Flash forward 15 years later, all the shit on the radio (or at least a big part of it) is pretty dark, talking about killing people, violence, women are bitches now, and ho's...That shit ain't reality.  Maybe it's the world these guys are livin' in, but it's not the world most of america is living in.

If rap keeps on like that, it's gonna die.  The reason the west is already dead is because their whole negative tendencies on a whole are flawed and dead.  Negativity will never win out over positive uplifting music.

Classical
Jazz
Blues
R&B
Country
Folk
Rock
Funk
Disco
Dance
Techno

EVERY other type of music is positive and uplifting.  Hiphop is depressing & negative.  The artists that aren't don't generally even get played, and get overshadowed by the sensationalism of the girls shaking their ass in the music video of the other stuff.  

Yall may not believe me, but when you get older, I'll bet you'll realize that a guy saying "Anybody disrespect me, there's gonna be bottles flyin' in the V.I.P." is some negative shit, and it DOES have  a negative effect on you.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2003, 06:17:48 AM »
OH, and you don't believe me? When was the last time you heard a Nirvana-style Alternative track do well?  Same thing, depressing negative shit about how you want to die, people don't want to hear that shit.  It's already killed Grunge & alternative music.  The Human race no matter where you are longs to grow and succeed, and subconsciously we reject negativity.  

Don Seer

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2003, 06:33:30 AM »
bring on the party tracks then!

Adam Donnelly

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WYTHENSHAWE
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2003, 06:44:16 AM »
So we just need a song that makes people dance and feel happy.
And that will bring the West Back.

It sounds so simple  ;D

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2003, 08:45:12 AM »
hip hop is not gonna die anytime soon..Its influences are everywhere..

40oz GRApHire

• Funk Doctor
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • PS: I'm still a Buddhist :)
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2003, 09:53:16 AM »
Good Topic SGV.

I could feel SGV when the homie says its sort of Dr Dre's fault. Dr Dre has been doing alot of exposures from Westcoast artists to the public, most of their carreers are forgotten (Hittman, Knoc'turnal, ...). Dr Dre warmend up the public for these cats carreers & then thats were Shady Records should come to play, but Eminem doesnt care too much for cats on the Leftcoast or they have to be close to him (Xzibit). See if Dre did not got them East cats, he wouldnt be were he is today. Dr Dre currently rules the Rap scene, hes the big brain behind it. Only because of hes Eastcoast exposures. See... Snoop on the other hand kept it Westcoast with hes Doggystyle artists. Now tell me, where is Snoop & were is Dre? Snoop is singing RnB songs with Pharrell & B2K to keep hes name in the media. Dre is making big dollars from behind hes keyboard. See Dre wouldnt bring in any Westcoast act untill Eminem is down to handle the WC cat's further carreer. When you start tripping on that "Bring Back The West" BS your talking a death case.
40oz Graphire

mauzip

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2003, 09:59:11 AM »
Good Topic SGV.

One of the 8453413587 topics about this subject :P

40oz GRApHire

• Funk Doctor
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • PS: I'm still a Buddhist :)
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2003, 10:01:13 AM »
Good Topic SGV.

One of the 8453413587 topics about this subject :P

Yeah but finally somebody's giving out names.
40oz Graphire

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2003, 11:01:12 AM »
Dre and Snoop cant carry every one on the West and making them obligated to do so is kinda "upid, sta"  (pig latin all up in ya!)

Good music is very much beyond Dre and Snoop.  I wouldnt want them to have their hands in everything out the West.  We gotta keep creativity flowing even if it means the project doesnt sell well.  Id rather that then a plat plaque.  Just my opinion.  

Ax
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure..
~Theodore Roosevelt

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2003, 11:23:22 AM »
Dre and Snoop cant carry every one on the West and making them obligated to do so is kinda "upid, sta"  (pig latin all up in ya!)

Good music is very much beyond Dre and Snoop.  I wouldnt want them to have their hands in everything out the West.  We gotta keep creativity flowing even if it means the project doesnt sell well.  Id rather that then a plat plaque.  Just my opinion.  

Ax

Exactly..(prop's)
That's what I ment by "FUCK EM" in my post...
They do not need to be involved in everything WEST.
or shitt get's stale just like people claim it is right now.

but like a homie said in an earlier post...
I listen to this regardless..
If I want pop i'll drink a Pepsi or turn on that box
with all the chick music blarrin' out...lol

OnE
Hatesrats 2oooTre
(100% Dre & Snoop fan)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2003, 12:51:42 PM »
Now, do Dre and Snoop have to do this? No. But, if they want to be, and if people want to call them, the Kings of the West Coast, they're going to have to. It's plain and simple. If you call Dre and Snoop the Kings of the West, and say they don't need to support out talent, then I can't take you serious.

That's all it is. Dre and Snoop are SUPPOSED to be the Kings of the West, but they're not leading their Kingdom, like a King is supposed to.

Agreed, especially with this part.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

SGV

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2003, 05:35:08 PM »
Yeah its all snoop+dre's fault...   ::)

What about...

Dilated Peoples?  They rep LA and do just fine... right?
People Under The Stairs? bay cats doin just fine without screamin wessssydeeeee non stop

Yea, Dilated are the biggest act on the West.  ::). People Under The Stairs, oh yea, everyone knows them. They can walk anyone into a record label office and get them signed on the spot, thanks to their huge status.  ::) Horrible, and I mean horrible, examples.

ok those 2 arent typical 'west coast gangsta shit'.. more into the backpacker zone.. strong affiliation would probably hurt their market.. but why?

because of the past the west coast is associated mainly with ignorant ass disses and gangstaism.

Shade Sheist damn near did it on this own (if you discount the payola accusations..) until his album release fucked up..

On his own? LMAO. No. He had Damizza, and Shade is still not a house hold name. Not even with the Programmer of L.A.'s number 1 station could Shade blow up.

Nates got huge exposure through tracks like 'next episode' and 'Oh no' (and a zillion others..) oh but theres a strong snoop + dre affiil.. so its all because of that, not because he can sing his ass off..  ::) ..on his own he's never been that big, but often his guest spots are stellar... funny huh? Nate is a feature artist. Nothing more, nothing less. He can't break any artists.

Here's what I believe is a strong case that proves Dre+Snoop affiliation wont blow you up.

Dj Quik... Quik shoulda got better exposure from Addictive.. in a way Dre put him on there.

So.. lets see.. Dre.. super-producer acussed of having a big assed ego.. let another producer have the first single track on a project from his own label...

Yea, I remember everyone giving Dre props for that beat. Was Dre denying it? I don't remember him bigging up Quik for it. LMAO.

Oh and what about Dre putting Quik on 'put it on me'?

The song was on the Dre+Snoop affil'd movie Training Day, it was on the soundtrack for that movie! and had a video.. and that video's on the DVD.. and quik even put the song on this own album and Quik later worked with  Truth Hurts and put another track with her on his own album.

"Put It On Me" is putting someone on? If you say so. Dre gave Quik a very mediocre beat there. And, I never seen the video, so obviously it wasn't released to the mainstream.

Dre put quik on two large songs in relatively quick succession showing both sides of him, one as a rapper, one as a producer..

Large? Oh yea, I remember everyone from Cali to Maine was bumping "Put It On Me." It was crazy.

Did this blow Quik up? naww not really?  I mean what else can they do unless they sign quik's ass and pump loadsa money into promoting him? but quik's been in the game too long.. he gotta have his own shit right?

Quik is established, but with his sound.

Can you imagine a Quik album with a lot of guest producers?
Can you imagine a Quik album without all his people all over it?

I think Quik's done the right thing here, but hell.. he gotta be frustrated.

If Quik could get a real good deal, he'd blow up. Good promotion and good marketing. Dre could help there.

I mean damn.. if all that didnt work for Quik who everyone admits is talented and shoulda blown up.. what the hell can you do?!

Why you think people need Snoop+Dre to hold their hands?

Commercially 'straight gangsta' is played out, and has been for years.]
(but we still love it!.. but in the public eye its gone)

These days I think the industry is scared of certain west coast mentalities and stereotypes.

Why are the always pushing a gimmick... mackin, flossing, blingin.. poppin ya colla.. ridin on spinners, pimpin.. stuntin.. etc etc..

Certain West Coast mentalities? Stereotypes? Macking?! LMAO. Everyone's on that shit. Flossing, Blinging, Riding Spinners, Pimping, Stunin, that's the whole industry. What kind of bullshit is this?

whats next?  having the name of your crew tattoo'd on ya forehead?

Dre and Snoop are supposed to be leaders of the our team. Jordan was the leader of the Bulls, if he didn't want to play, would the Bulls have won? Hell no! Even better example. If Kobe and Shaq don't play, will the Lakers win? Not a chance. Dre and Snoop are SUPPOSED TO BE the Kobe and Shaq of the Hip Hop. But, they're not helping out. They watch out for themselves and rarely help out new talent on the West.