Author Topic: Why The West Will Not Blow Up...  (Read 894 times)

Don Seer

Re:Why The West Will Not Blow Up...
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2003, 01:38:00 PM »
lyrics dont sell tho... respect yes, sales no.

SGV

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2003, 01:40:29 PM »
That's fine and dandy. But, to say it's not refreshing is just wrong.

I'd rather hear a great lyricist than some mumble mouth scumbag who rhymes like Dr. Seuss.

budsmokeronly

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2003, 01:51:40 PM »

exactly.  most artists that blow up are not lyrical at all.  You need beats people love, a flow people love, excellent choruses/hooks, a distinguished voice, and then I would say lyrics come in last.

Nothing real refreshing? With all the crap coming out from all areas, how is not refreshing? Lyricism at it's finest.

that may be your opinion, but its not mine.  His album is completely average imo.  Sure he has some really good lyricsm, but there is much more to making a great album than that.  His album is good, I bought it, and I listen to it, but its nothing I get excited over, or can keep playing intro to outro over and over.  there is no song on the album that I want to put on repeat because I can't get enough of it.  Its not an album that would get a party goin.  None of his songs really stick in my head.  

that is what makes an album for me.  when it's exciting to hear, when I can listen to it over and over and not get bored with it.  When there is songs that I just want to hear all the time.  His album just doesn't stand out from the crowd.  its just another west coast album.

SGV

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2003, 01:56:27 PM »

exactly.  most artists that blow up are not lyrical at all.  You need beats people love, a flow people love, excellent choruses/hooks, a distinguished voice, and then I would say lyrics come in last.

Nothing real refreshing? With all the crap coming out from all areas, how is not refreshing? Lyricism at it's finest.

that may be your opinion, but its not mine.  His album is completely average imo.  Sure he has some really good lyricsm, but there is much more to making a great album than that.  His album is good, I bought it, and I listen to it, but its nothing I get excited over, or can keep playing intro to outro over and over.  there is no song on the album that I want to put on repeat because I can't get enough of it.  Its not an album that would get a party goin.  None of his songs really stick in my head.  

that is what makes an album for me.  when it's exciting to hear, when I can listen to it over and over and not get bored with it.  When there is songs that I just want to hear all the time.  His album just doesn't stand out from the crowd.  its just another west coast album.
Lyrics aren't last for me.

Sly's album is average? I don't remember hearing vivid story tales and a lot of concept songs on every album. That album is what emceeing is about.  "Walk Wit My Dogs" is far from average. Same with "Haters, "Ridiculous," "Fatal Mistake" and plenty of jams on there. And, "California" gets a crowd popping.

Last time I checked, I haven't heard someone as creative or skilled on the West since Del.

Don Seer

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2003, 01:56:44 PM »
That's fine and dandy. But, to say it's not refreshing is just wrong.

I'd rather hear a great lyricist than some mumble mouth scumbag who rhymes like Dr. Seuss.

I never said that  :-*

gFuNkA

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2003, 02:02:22 PM »
the west is not creative and clever enough business wise plus they are not able to produce radio shit....they are even not able to bring some good/ceative/fresh westcoast stuff anymore. none of the lastest releases are on a level from the shit they dropped back in the days when they all were successful. the guys who could bring it back are wastin their time on bullshit labels or are busy with producing pop and eastcoast artists.

i dont get it...crooked i is (or was) full of talent and he has a different flow then all other rappers out there...he could easily blow up with a dope producer in the back. now its a bit too late...the west had a chance but its fucked up now...thanks.

gFuNkA

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2003, 02:08:00 PM »

its the package what sells...lyrics and beats. thats also a problem of the west...not enough good packages.

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2003, 02:08:49 PM »

No need to blow anymore...
Check the top artists out today.

The "Quote" biggest Eastcoast artists..
are all using/used that Westcoast style and want to live the Cali lifestyle.
check their car's...check their content...check their dress.
It's all Cali.
Gone is IE:
Where is the Big Boot's?
The camoflauge?
The Leather jacket's?
The Thick gold ropes?
The SuBway video's?
The Grimey ish?
ect...

all I see is white T-shirt's & our style.
+
every video shot is either in California..
or on a beach somewhere...
but not in the ice cold NYC.
+
The South has immitated the Bay Area sound and style 4 years...I call it Baby Yay!.

Blowin' up is a matter of opinion..
cause everytime I turn on the radio one of our's in on aswell.
FUCK Mtv it's always been that way.
FUCK Radio it's alway's been that way.

Just play what u play..ImO
Hatesrats 2oooTre

budsmokeronly

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2003, 02:12:01 PM »
Lyrics aren't last for me.

Sly's album is average? I don't remember hearing vivid story tales and a lot of concept songs on every album. That album is what emceeing is about.  "Walk Wit My Dogs" is far from average. Same with "Haters, "Ridiculous," "Fatal Mistake" and plenty of jams on there. And, "California" gets a crowd popping.

Last time I checked, I haven't heard someone as creative or skilled on the West since Del.

the topic is about west coast cats blowin up.  Lyrics are last when it comes to blowing up.  Nelly, ja rule, snoop, dre, missy, lil bow wow, fabulous all sell a shitload of albums.  None of them have any lyricism to speak of.  Ras Kass has very dope lyrics, but hardly anyone knows who he is outside of cali.  when's the last time you heard a really lyrical song on the radio, mtv, or at a club/party?  thats what it takes to blow up.  constant radio, tv, and club play.  If you don't get that then you are not gonna sell there is no question about it.  When's the last time you heard Del on the radio, or ras kass at the clubs, or saw a crooked I video?   Eazy E had some of the simplest lyrics ever, yet he was extremely popular.  I think having simple lyrics these days actually will help you blow up, because its mostly kids buying rap music these days.

Ltnluv23

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2003, 02:18:28 PM »
screw all dat, if u need these established cats to make u blow up, then hip hop is a sad state right now......they dont need dre or snoop, just the right single, right promotion, and right connections, and they will blow up...PLAIN AND SIMPLE.....look at rappers like chingy, he had sum unknown producer produce his song "right thurr", it was catchy, it got video/radio/club play, and he blew up like anything, AND HE HAD THE RIGHT PROMOTION n he basically blew up by himself,....they need to stop relyin on others to b low up, make ur own path n make ur own moves, get wit the right labels, right single, and u can be commercial material...im out

budsmokeronly

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2003, 02:18:35 PM »
FUCK Mtv it's always been that way.
FUCK Radio it's alway's been that way.

thats bullshit.  back in the day the west got tons of video and radio play.  the west simply does not make music which appeals to the majority of the rap music audience.  its as simple as that.  Back in the day westcoast gangsta rap was the most popular form of rap, and it sold a lot, got radio play, got video play, got club play.  Most of them still makin the same kind of rap today.  How you expect it to still be popular almost 10 years later?  gangsta/g-funk/thug/street/hardcore rap does not sell anymore, its not popular.  How hard is that to see you people?  Snoop doesn't do gangsta rap anymore, he works wit lil kids and pop singers, and does songs for girls and kids.  that is why he sells.  Its not hard to figure out, if a westcoast rapper wants to sell, they can't do gangsta rap.  they almost have to do commercial sounding rap.

shadycent

• Lil Geezy
  • If u get shot up u've fucked up
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2003, 02:26:47 PM »
lyrics and beats aare the first things that i look for in a song. if respect matters that much i prolly wouldnt listen to half da shit i do. if the beat dont go good with wat there sayin den the song will blow hardcore but if theyy match up like most of dre's and em's produced shit does. most of the lyracists out in cali have the dopest flows and beats but kurupt can suc a dick tradin gangs and shit

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2003, 02:31:23 PM »
screw all dat, if u need these established cats to make u blow up, then hip hop is a sad state right now......they dont need dre or snoop, just the right single, right promotion, and right connections, and they will blow up...PLAIN AND SIMPLE.....look at rappers like chingy, he had sum unknown producer produce his song "right thurr", it was catchy, it got video/radio/club play, and he blew up like anything, AND HE HAD THE RIGHT PROMOTION n he basically blew up by himself,....they need to stop relyin on others to b low up, make ur own path n make ur own moves, get wit the right labels, right single, and u can be commercial material...im out

Um, I hardly think Chingy did it by himself. The fact that he is signed to Ludacris's label which has backing from Def Jam gives you a pretty good idea why his wack single blew up.

I dunno why you all want the west to blow up anyway. You'll say all this, but when a rapper from the west makes some corny commercial single aimed at kids then you will all say, oh, such as such sold out. You don't really want the west to blow up, and it isn't going to unless it goes all corny. If you like gangsta rap, then you can still buy gangsta rap, but you must realise that it will never be popular again in the mainstream.

shadycent

• Lil Geezy
  • If u get shot up u've fucked up
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2003, 02:36:38 PM »
Um, I hardly think Chingy did it by himself. The fact that he is signed to Ludacris's label which has backing from Def Jam gives you a pretty good idea why his wack single blew up.

I dunno why you all want the west to blow up anyway. You'll say all this, but when a rapper from the west makes some corny commercial single aimed at kids then you will all say, oh, such as such sold out. You don't really want the west to blow up, and it isn't going to unless it goes all corny. If you like gangsta rap, then you can still buy gangsta rap, but you must realise that it will never be popular again in the mainstream.

i totally agree with that. if most artist didnt have a backbone to lean on then they prolly would never have made it. the only reason chingy made it was because luda found him and helped him out. if lloyd banks didnt get wit 50 he would have had a hard ass time trying to get into the game because he never says much to anyone but he has the tightest lyrics even though hes on the east coast but they all got west coast beats.

budsmokeronly

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2003, 02:43:31 PM »

I totally agree.  I hate 90% of the popular rap.  I think mainstream commercial rap sucks balls.  and any already established gangsta rappers who want to be popular right now would have to sell out.