Author Topic: Someone explain this to me  (Read 289 times)

pappy

Someone explain this to me
« on: October 31, 2003, 02:39:19 PM »
ok i guess im naive b/c i am white but whatever.  How come on long island the worst performing schools are mostly black schools (whydanch,  roosevelt,  freeport,  amityville,  hempstead)  but yet more money an funds are giving to these schools than any other white school.  why do these schools continue to fail.  also back when my dad was in high school the nyc public school districts were about 80% percent white.  during that time the nyc school district was the highest rated school district in america.  an as minoritys (not jus blacks but all of them) the school system slowly started to crumble.  now its 12% of NYC public schools an city schools are in shambles

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re:Someone explain this to me
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 02:44:10 PM »
Touchy subject. Give me time to explain this carefully, placing my hands on the oven without actually touching it.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 06:07:59 PM »
Easy, it's not just money, but what is done with it. See, the old theory is that if you throw money at a situation, then it will solve itself. When you take money away, yes education declines, but when you throw money, it doesn't rise, it's very touchy. Education systems rise with experienced leaders. One problem is that minorities are taught different than whites, because it's kind of pointless teaching minorities about Eurocentric issues, when they have nothing to do with minorities at all. But then in test, the Eurocentric questions are there, that liberal teachers don't teach. And New York is known for being one of the most liberal schooling systems in the nation. Though teachers teach topics that are not on the test that measure a students intellegents, because in theory you teach in mirrors, in other words, teach students what's interesting to them, and watch them do well in your class. But it would be in the test, so teachers are now scrambling to change to fit the test, because with No Child Left Behind, you have to have you students pass the test, or your fired.

pappy

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 07:16:56 PM »
ok explain this than....math,  english,  an science.  why they failing them.  i hated math an science they didnt relate to me at all but i still managed to pash them.  granted i barely passed them but i still did

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 08:28:46 PM »
What do you want me to say. Blacks are inferiour to whites, when there are plenty of blacks that are smarter than many whites. Dogg, it's just how the world is right now. Right now things are fucked up. Why are Asians are doing better in school than anyone? Dogg, that's just the way things are right now, but there are plenty of blacks and latinos that score higher in school than asians. What you want me to say? Shit happens, and that's a problem I'm going to face since I am going to be a teacher. Let me handle that situation, you handle yours and don't worry what the fuck others are doing.

pappy

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 01:40:11 AM »
What do you want me to say. Blacks are inferiour to whites,

no i want the minorities to cut the bull shit an stop blaming the white man for everything that goes wrong.  i want them to stop using the excuse that there school aint gettin the teachers,  money,  an facilities that white schools do even tho the facts are right smack in there fuckin face.  i want them to maybe put the blame where blame should be instead of always finding a scapegoat.  sought like what you did with sayin they only teach white european history an that why monorities fail b/c it dont relate to them.  an than when i bought up other sunject mdog u had to tell me stop worrying about every1 else an jus worry about myself.  but wait,  yet u always go on about how the white man.  maybe u should take ur own advice an worry about urself instead of worrying about the man

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2003, 05:07:30 AM »
The Answer people don't want to hear:

It doesn't matter how much money you give a school.  The black schools do poorly because many of them come from broken homes, where there is only 1 parent, and many don't even see that parent too much because they're out working their ass off for minimum wage trying to keep food on the table.  

Poor family life= Poor grades.

In contrast, in Utah, most of the kids have 2 parents who are married, and religious (religion teaches family values, like spending quality time with your kids).  As a result, they have the highest test scores consistantly in the country, while they spend the lowest per child on their education.

It's all about family, and unfortunately many black homes are broken, and blacks earn less than whites because of lack of education, etc.  

Peace~

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2003, 01:56:28 PM »
The Answer people don't want to hear:

It doesn't matter how much money you give a school.  The black schools do poorly because many of them come from broken homes, where there is only 1 parent, and many don't even see that parent too much because they're out working their ass off for minimum wage trying to keep food on the table.  

In contrast, in Utah, most of the kids have 2 parents who are married, and religious (religion teaches family values, like spending quality time with your kids).  As a result, they have the highest test scores consistantly in the country, while they spend the lowest per child on their education.

It's all about family, and unfortunately many black homes are broken, and blacks earn less than whites because of lack of education, etc.  

Peace~

That's actually very true, but I don't see why you stated that it's the answer most people don't want to hear. In addition, in economically poor neighborhood schools, where in general "security" seems to be an issue, the school has more to worry about than just raising test scores. Their first concern is the security of the students, and sometimes that's where money is spent (Tom, I'm assuming that's the case with the schools you mentioned). So, basically most of the poorer schools have other concerns besides better schools, where as the "better-off" schools don't have that problem and can just improve on actual student performance. This is not true for ALL schools, but could be something to think about.

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2003, 02:35:48 PM »
^ It's the answer people don't want to hear (M Dogg) because they're racially motivated, and like to blame things on 'the system' or 'the man' or 'government' or 'lack of funds' or whatever the fuck.  The answer is at home, personal responsibility, it's not the government's problem, but of course it gets made the government's problem.  

AWS SS 88

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2003, 02:58:14 PM »

i guess im the oddball out then,i havent had a good family life,and live with one parent (that works all day int othe night,so im at home by myself like 90% of the time)  and i do really good in school

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2003, 04:15:36 PM »
Well, you should be congratulated, then, good job!  

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2003, 04:57:56 PM »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2003, 07:32:55 PM »
^ It's the answer people don't want to hear (M Dogg) because they're racially motivated, and like to blame things on 'the system' or 'the man' or 'government' or 'lack of funds' or whatever the fuck.  The answer is at home, personal responsibility, it's not the government's problem, but of course it gets made the government's problem.  

Why would I not want to hear that, I know that's true. Shit, I went to schools were people come from fucked up families. It's a system that's been in the intercities for along time. Drugs, alcohol, abuse, shit, that's common for a lot of people, I know. I'm just trying to figure out what can be done, instead of just standing aside and watching my community fall further and further into shit.

AWS SS 88

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2003, 07:52:28 PM »

i dont know if you are being sarcastic or not,but i made that post to prove that theory wrong. im tired of excuses,there is no reason to do bad in school.period. unless of course you do have a learning disability,and need extra help outside of class.

Trauma-san

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2003, 05:03:55 AM »
No, I wasn't being sarcastic, it's always a good thing when people do good in school.

While you're right to an extent about their being no excuse, you certainly have to understand that if someone grows up with parents who don't care about school, and aren't even around most of the time, it would be pretty easy for the kid to not care about school, and perform poorly.

M Dogg = you proved my point when you said it was a system.  That's exactly what I'm talking about.