Author Topic: Black Album Review from a Jay hater (me) and HUGE Nas fan!  (Read 1123 times)

teecee

Black Album Review from a Jay hater (me) and HUGE Nas fan!
« on: November 09, 2003, 09:58:16 PM »
I know there is another review, but im doin my own anyway damnit.  For the record, i didnt love Blueprint or Blueprint 2, have not bought a Jay album since his second album, and was not expecting a great album.  However, i had to check this after Jay ripped FLip Flop Rock and GEt Byt REmix, so here is my review:

First off, this is the first Jay Z cd that does NOT have a hit single or huge club song!  It is surprising that Quik, Neptunes, and Timbaland did not give Jigga their top of the line joints considering he is arguably the top rapper in the game and this is his last album..........HOwever, this does not hold the album back, perhaps letting the lesser known porducers (Young Guru, 9th Wonder) more of a chance to shine, and they take full advantage of this opportunity.  As for Jays lyrics, i was expecting more biting of Big but what we get is perhaps Jays top lyrical performance since Reasonable DOubt.  While the BLueprint was incredible upon first listen and then got repetitive with all the soul sampling, this album is one that needs to grow on you (it will, trust me).

1.  intro-  nice intro, not gonna rate it
2.  Dec.4-  great concept, fairly tight beat, jay has some admittedly sick lines on this one, overall a nice song.   4/5

3.  What More Can i Say-  Jay rips this one,  great beat, dope 80's sample, another very good song   4/5

4.  Encore-  the other review has this song as 2/5, while i feel this is perhaps Jays best song of all time next to Dead PResidents and Dopeman.  THe beat is Pete ROck-esque, maybe Kanyes best beat yet.  Jays flow perfectly matches the beat, i think this is the best song of the year.  5/5

5.  Change Clothes-  i am not gonna hate on this just cuz its Neptunes, i am gonna hate on this because it is generic sounding, has a terrible chorus, and does fit the feel of the album at all.  The NEptunes are very talented so i was surprised this is all they could come up with for the first single of te biggest commercial release of the year!    2.5/5

6.  Dirt off Your Shoulder- timbaland provides a dope but repetitive beat, this song is more Hola Hovito than  Big Pimpin, not horrible but not a mega hit.  3/5

7. Threat- cant say i ever listened to Little Brother more than twice, but i gotta go back and check it now!  THis is the JAy z i like, youd find a cut like this on RD, this is a vicious track with a pounding beat and some dope sampling. I have heard many say tey dont like this track, but i think its top 3 on this album.  4.5/5

8. Moment of Clarity-  i like Eminems production sometimes, even if it is repetive and amateur sounding.  THis is a good track, kinda boring but Jay really brings it to life and the beat comes to life for the hook.  3.5/5

9.  99 Problems-  WHOA!  Rick Rubin is a genius, this is track is Jay Z meets old school RUn DMC or Beastie Boys.  This is a ridiculous track, but i can still see many not liking the song due to the old school beat and guitar samples.  HOpefully this is the next single...................5/5

10/.  Public Service announcment-   this is Jays moment to rip the track, to prove he still has it.......and his flow and lyrics arent amazing on here, but he is very effective on beats like this. i cant get over how much better he is on this album than Blueprint 1 or 2.  The "true" hiphop beat provided by Just Blaze only helps matters.  Great song, 4/5

11. Justify my Thug- wasnt even listenable on headphones, but it pounds in the car.  Still dont like the chorus, but this song is not bad overall.  QUik coulda came a lot better though.
                                                                                                            3/5

12. Lucifer- another great track by Kanye, who really brought his best for this album.  Nice sample for the hook, albeit a little bit annoying.  NOthing groundbreaking, but a good song.
                                                                                                             3.5/5

13.  ALlure-  doesnt sound like a typical Neptunes track at all.   DOnt know what to think of this one, it is MUCH BETTER than Change clothes, havent listened to it alot.  3/5 for now

14. My First song-  great beat by another lesser known producer.  Jays flow on here is ridiculous, nice concept.  Nice way to end the album,             4/5

This album is a sign that commercial rap is headed back to the way it sould be: limited guests, limited  singing on the chorus, and a album you can listen to front to back for the most part.  Jay may not sell 5 or 6 mil with this one, but anyone who says this album is not a success is fooling themselves.  Jigga is goint out on top and is gonna gain back some respect from hiphop fans who have not been feeling him the last couple of years.  Classic? Who knows, that will be decided in the years to come, but i think this is a great album regardless.  Its nice to see Jay put it all together, although i wouldnt hacvce minded a huge song like Big Pimpin or Can i get a?  oh well, this album has everything else, except the rumoured nas guest appearance!!!!    4.5/5  

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Future Revolutionary Classic
Re:Black Album Review from a Jay hater (me) and HUGE Nas fan!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 02:26:28 PM »
BOOO.........I made a thread, post it it there

This album recieved 3 Mics in the Source.....BS
Go support him and go buy it!

teecee

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 07:46:29 PM »
No disrespect Vigilante, cuz your review was mad detailed, but i didnt agree with your ratings and wanted to do my own, end of story.  peace

Seriously, Encore a 2.5???????????  Everyone else givin that 4-5/5.

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Future Revolutionary Classic
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 02:49:57 PM »
No disrespect Vigilante, cuz your review was mad detailed, but i didnt agree with your ratings and wanted to do my own, end of story.  peace

Seriously, Encore a 2.5???????????  Everyone else givin that 4-5/5.

ye no problem, but it know the people who gave encore a 4-5/5

Their called white d1ckryders, maybe ur one of them?!

This album recieved 3 Mics in the Source.....BS
Go support him and go buy it!

KVB

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 07:44:26 AM »
Nice review homie. I don't agree with a lot of the ratings but it's all good. I think you need to raise your song ratings a bit to justify an overall score of 4.5/5, though. :-\

Now for my opinion...

"December 4th", "What More Can I Say", "Encore", "Dirt Off My Shoulder", "Threat", "Moment Of Clarity", "Public Service Announcement", "Lucifer" and "Allure" are all 5/5's in my book.

The rest are no less than 4.5/5's, except "Change Clothes". I would give that song a 4/5. Fuck what you heard, it's a dope song for the clubs.

Album of the year, easily. Classic IMO.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2003, 04:05:33 PM »
Album of the year, easily. May be a future classic IMO.

teecee

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 12:30:46 AM »
Although this may not be te popular opinion, i also think this may be considered a future classic......the only problem being i dont hear a great single anywhere on the album.......

After listening to the album about 300 fricken' times, this is what i think.

dec. 4th- 5/5 definitely
What more can i say- 4/5
Encore- 5/5
Change Clothes- 3.5/5
Dirt- 3.5/5
Threat- 4.5
Moment- 4.5
99 Problems- 4.5/5
PSA- 4/5
Justify my thug- 3/5
Lucifer- 3.5/5 (lately i LOVE kanyes beats, but this song is just not my ting. I can see how some really like it though, its well done)
Allure- 4.5/5
My First Song- 4.5/5

Overall- 4.5/5

Oh ya, 5/5 is hard to get Sharpshooter, at least imo dogg!.  And youd give Justify my thug 4.5/5??? \ you must be a REALLY big jAy z fan, right?

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 05:22:52 AM »
4.25-4.5 /5...

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2003, 04:47:35 AM »
Intro 3.5/5 - Not bad for an intro, but nothin special

December 4th 4.5/5 - BANGIN Just Blaze beat, dope autobiographical lyrics. His mother tellin anecdotes instead of a chorus is pretty original too

What More Can I Say 3.75/5 - I ain't feelin the beat THAT much, but it's a nice way to get at haters one last time

Encore 4.25/5 - Great beat, nice chorus and verses

Change Clothes 2.75/5 - Might be a useful club hit/single, but I can't stand that chorus and the beat and the lyrics are mediocre

Dirt Off Your Shoulder 3.75/5 - Nice beat, nothin that makes this song as special as most of the others on this album though

Threat 4.25/5 - Again, very good beat and Jay flows well over it

Moment Of Clarity 3.5/5 - Typical Em beat, kinda lacks replay value

99 Problems 4.25/5 - Dope combination of beat & lyrics

Public Service Announcement 3.75/5 - Technically well done but I often skip it, can't even actually tell why

Justify My Thug 4/5 - Quik's beat is immaculate, kinda don't fit the album though...I don't really like the chorus on this one but Jigga makes up for it with some dope verses

Lucifer 4.5/5 - Great use of a sample, Kanye's done it once again and Jay's flowin over the beat on this one is even better than on most of the rest of the album...one of the highlights

Allure 4/5 - Definitely the better Neptunes joint, kinda relaxed and smooth

My 1st Song 5/5 - Now this one just KEEPS AMAZIN me...when I listened to it the 1st time i wasn't THAT impressed, but the more i bumped this one the more i realized how perfectly everything's been done and put together, from the Biggie sample to the beat to the reminiscent lyrics to the final shoutouts this was the best possible way for Jay to end his career...props

overall Jay-Z's final disc was a positive surprise to me...no guest appearances, great production and Jay reminiscin over his career in a very self-confident but also personal and honest way. IMO it's his 2nd best album and along with Reasonable Doubt and The blueprint one of the three Jigga albums everybody should have in  their collection

4.25/5

peace