Author Topic: Hate at its finest...Beg for Mercy review  (Read 1284 times)

JTSimon

Hate at its finest...Beg for Mercy review
« on: November 14, 2003, 05:44:57 AM »
No author...but I'm thinking SGV or Don Breezio.

:-X Probably some white dude in the forest waiting for Eminem to drop an album  ;D  

G-Unit forced me to Beg for Mercy before my ear-drums exploded...
by - Nov 06 '03

Pros
Some of the Beats... laughing at 50 Cent mumble cause he has half a mouth

Cons
... ill let the album speak for itself...

The Bottom Line
50 Cent is Still Rich but not Dead Yet, as much as we would all want...

Full Review

With 2003 being the year of 50 Cent, its no wonder so much hype builds around his crew G-Unit. For months weve heard shout-outs and all sort of material hyping up this crew. After 50 Cent dropping his largely successful multi-platinum album Get Rich or Die Tryin back in February, 50 Cent has seemingly blown up larger than any other superstar his entire year. Appearing on tons of mixtapes, guest appearances, and soundtracks, it is obvious that 50 Cent is hottest commodety in music. Unfortunately, 50 Cent might have a bucketload of street credibility and cash, but his skills are few and far between. Now teaming up with his crew composed of emcee overrated, but skilled rapper Lloyd Banks, southern "bling bling" rapper Young Buc, and the incarcerated, New York crook Tony Yayo, we have G-Unit, and their debut album Beg for Mercy. Will G-Unit prove to be equally successful as 50? Most likely. Will they gain the respect of hip-hop heads? No. I think 50 Cent needs to get shot about 15 more times to see if he'll actually wake up with some talent, if he even wakes up at all.

Track List & Rating

1. G-Unit (1 Star)
2. Poppin Them Tags (1 1/2 Stars)
3. My Buddy (2 1/2 Stars)
4. Im So Hood (0 Stars)
5. Stunt 101 (1 Star)
6. Wanna Get to Know You (0 Stars)
7. Groupie Love (0 Stars)
8. Better Ask Somebody (1 Star)
9. Footsteps (0 Stars)
10. Eye for an Eye (1 1/2 Stars)
11. Smile (1 Star)
12. Baby You Got (0 Stars)
13. Salute You (0 Stars)
14. Beg for Mercy (2 Stars)
15. G'd Up (0 Stars)
16. Lay You Down (0 Stars)
17. Gangsta Sh*t (0 Stars)

The so-called Gorilla Unit kicks off Beg for Mercy with "G-Unit", and from the onset you can see exactly how much garbage these guys talk. The thumping horns and piano keys instantly give it a street feel to the song, but once Young Buc opens his mouth, the song is dead. To be quite honest, the production is the only saving grace on this entire album, and on this song, its only slightly average. The female harmonies on the chorus are incredibly irritating and completely kill the song. Lyrically, dont expect anything good here whatsoever. The only interesting parts of the song are 50 Cent and G-Unit's jabs at Murder Inc, which are indirect at some points, but direct at others. Expect these kind of formulas to be replicated over and over again throughout the album. 50 Cent's monosyllable flow and refusal to use anything complex or with any substance is disgusting for lack of a better term. I sort of feel teary at having to listen to more of this crap for about an hour....

"Poppin Them Tags" is completely materialistic bullsh*t. The ONLY good part of the song is the beat, which is actually decent. Sadly, once G-Unit raps they completely kill the song. However, i do reccomend listening to the beat to see if you like it, with great pianos and a tight Jay-Z sample.

G-Unit actually attempts to be creative on "My Buddy". Lloyd Banks, 50 Cent, and Young Buc actually use the method of an extended metaphor to rap about their so-called "buddy", which is in fact a gun. The rhymes are very whack themselves, but the creative pieces of the lyricism provide an interestingly thought-provoking listening experience. Its interesting because each member of G-Unit raps right to their gun, as if they were a living, breathing person. The idea, even though several versions of it have been used before, is somewhat creative, but dont expect G-Unit to all of a sudden become breakthrough emcees. Lyrically, they remain to be complete garbage and the beat, though listenable, is nothing special. Sadly this is as close as G-Unit is going to get to making a decent track.

The annoying lead-single "Stunt 101" soon hits the speakers. Im positive that most people here have heard this utter piece of garbage, but ill still cover it. Even though the production found on this song isn't awful, the subject matter and lyrics basically make it unlistenable. 50 Cent, Lloyd Banks, and Young Buc (in that order) spit shallow rhymes about cars, jewelry, money, and all sort of materialistic crap. The hook is nowhere near as memorable as those found on 50's solo album, but i can see why commercial fans would love to dig their teeth deeply into 50's nuts with this song. Lyrically, G-Unit is whack, and always will be no matter how many times they diss Ja Rule or act pretty on their videos. Honestly, i would rather watch Martha Stewart undress than listen to this...

Keeping in the spirit of such lovey-dubby love crap like "21 Questions", G-Unit decides to bring their own mainstream lovey anthems with "Wanna Get to Know You" and "Groupie Love". Even though Young Buc and 50 Cent are terrible on both songs, Lloyd Banks is surprisingly above average, moving higher than his two partners. The first song has a fast-paced tempo to it, giving it a commercial feel, and the second follows suit, only is MUCH more commercial. The second of the two songs has more of a pimpish atmosphere, as 50 and his crew focus on sex a lot more than just the relationship value. As you can see, the sheer hypocrisy of these two songs back to back is awful and makes 50 Cent out to be a complete a**hole, which i knew before. Honestly, listening to this song makes me want to punch an old lady in the face until she winds up in a coma (call me a jerk, i dont care). What really irks me is that 50 Cent takes the time to diss Ja Rule and call him an R&B singer who constantly does worthless love songs, and yet 50 and his so-called crew does the exact same thing. Where im from, thats called hypocrisy. I honestly used to favor 50 in their beef, but perhaps i might change my mind due to the complete idiocy that one Curtis Jackson continues to show us over and over again.

Dr. Dre brings us his absolute WORST beat in history with "Better Ask Somebody". I wont write about it because its filled with the same garbage that you may already expect. I won't even waste my time.

It doesn't get much bettet with Young Buc's solo track "Footsteps". 50 Cent comes in for the chorus and tries to be introspective and poetic, but just sounds awfully retarded. Honestly, sometimes i think that 50 Cent is mentally handicapped and belongs inside of some sort of asylum. This song is horrible, with bad lyrics and more gangsta sh*t. The trumpet inspired beat is unlistenable, and the song is a complete waste of time to be quite honest.

Once again G-Unit tries to appeal to the women on two songs. "Smile" and "Baby You Got". The first two is an attempt to copy LL Cool J with one of those "im a gangsta, but i love you" kind of songs. Over guitar influenced production following a remarkably similar melody to "21 Questions", Lloyd Banks drops his solo on by rapping one of those whack, soft-thug love songs to the ladies. Lloyd decides to appeal to women by dropping some of the most shallow compliments that i have ever heard in my life. To be honest, Lloyd is a lot better than 50 Cent and shows a lot of potential, but is no better lyrically than Obie Trice or Swift from D-12. Do not overrate Lloyd because hes gotten lucky on a few joints... he is undoubtedly whack. On the second song, we get a more seductive clubbish song, which does not appeal to me whatsoever or any real head. Another club anthem is exactly what hip-hop does not need at this moment and it disgusts me. G-Unit has as much sincerity and love in their soul as Adolf Hitler... or perhaps they could be worse.

50 Cent and G-Unit decide to do a sequel of sorts to the Ja Rule-dissing "Back Down" on "Beg for Mercy". Honestly, i swear to god, this is the exactly same melody and practically an identical beat to the original, only with a much faster tempo and some handclaps. This time, 50 Cent decides to bring his homies to come drop some more gangsta-influenced disses to Ja Rule and the entire Murder Inc Camp. The interesting part of the song is that G-Unit never actually drops the names of anybody in Murder Inc, but i am positive that these lyrics are aimed to that particular camp. 50 takes time to brag about his nine shot situation, which is plaid out and old. My prediction is that 50 Cent's career will be short-lived. He'll either lose respect, or be killed. Either way, ill laugh... honestly, i would.

"G'd Up" finds 50 Cent taking a few shots at the horrible commercial rapper Lil Kim. Lil Kim and 50 Cent could possibly have the title of King and Queen of Whack... to be completely honest. This whole incident started with a collaboration called "Magic Stick" which was released earlier this year. Over piano-influenced production by Dr. Dre (another whack Dre beat), G-Unit once again gives us all of the reasons why they are whack, and why their lack of talent can no longer be ignored. With uninspired, badly-written rhymes, cliche gangsta violence, and no creativity at all, how do you expect heads like myself to not hate this? G-Unit absolutely refuses to do anything of any substance or creativity and just keep saying the same f*cking things over and over again on different beats. This must be the reason why we have sick people like Kobe Bryant, R. Kelly, and the Bicycle Man from Diff'rent Strokes... cause of unlistenable trash like this.

The only real interesting reason to listen to "Lay You Down" is because of G-Unit's surprising disses towards other commercial rappers like Chingy, Lil Zane, Lil Wayne, and P. Diddy. They have no room to talk about these rappers when G-Unit is exactly like them. I consider that supreme hypocrisy. Hopefully you can see exactly why i have no respect for G-Unit. Their ridiculous gangsta threats bring absolutely no fear to me knowing that if 50 Cent pops me, he'll be the next one to get popped really easy. The trumpet influenced production is instantly killed by the lyrics and flow. I mean, give me a break.... with horrible punchlines like "All i got is hot sh*t, the kids call me Dr. Pepper", what do you honestly expect, that im going to get on my knees and munch their scrotum like the mainstream public. No way! Im Big D!! SMELL MY NUTS! Id rather play Marco Polo swimming in molten lava than listen to this.

After 16 songs of bullsh*t, Beg for Mercy ends with "Gangsta Sh*t". If you cant figure the subject matter from the title, then congradulations, youre a f*ckin moron! Curtis Jackson has officially wasted another hour of my life... and I WANT IT BACK!!

Beg for Mercy is yet another candidate for being the worst album of the year. Its competition is indeed, loaded with worthy competitors (Lil Kim, Choppa, Baby), but this album might actually go past them. Not only does 50 Cent absolutely refuse to fine-tune his style, but actually gets worse with time. His buddies Tony Yayo, Lloyd Banks, and Young Buc are no better, as they continue to follow the trend of gangsta music, with some cheap fake love songs, and absolutely nothing creative at all. To be honest, this album had me "begging for mercy" for a good song, but i guess these guys arent capable of anything halfway decent. Instead of buying this, i reccomend buying something from a better group than this... like the f*ckin St. Lunatics (Now thats Bad!).

0 Stars...  

http://www.pricetool.com/content_117783236228
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 05:45:47 AM by Kain670 »

Don Seer

Re:Hate at its finest...Beg for Mercy review
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 05:58:59 AM »
review sponsored by the i.n.c. lol

JTSimon

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 06:40:13 AM »
The Inc

What is Ja Rule gonna holla now... ;D

Its....... ???

KVB

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 07:03:54 AM »
Granted the review seems kind of biased, but I actually agree with him, for the most part. Yes he may have exaggarated a bit but he raised some good points. The album didn't appeal to me much either... it IS kinda wack, actually. There's bad lyrics with little substance and generally bad production. I mean I've only had the album for a week and just listened through the whole thing once, and even that was a challenge in its own, it's just so unexciting to listen to. Now I only bump "Poppin' Them Thangs" (because of a SICK Dre beat)

Speaking of Dre, "Betta Ask Somebody" is definitely his worst beat ever. I can't believe he put his name on that peice of horse shit. His other beats on here were tight though... :)

SGV

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 08:33:46 AM »
Granted the review seems kind of biased, but I actually agree with him, for the most part. Yes he may have exaggarated a bit but he raised some good points. The album didn't appeal to me much either... it IS kinda wack, actually. There's bad lyrics with little substance and generally bad production. I mean I've only had the album for a week and just listened through the whole thing once, and even that was a challenge in its own, it's just so unexciting to listen to.

Jome

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 09:44:59 AM »
LMAO

Review made by Lincoln feat. SGV, Don Breezio, Ja Rule and Benzino..

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 10:01:11 AM »
Lol  ;D

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 01:11:05 PM »
Agreed.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 01:12:53 PM »
LMAO

Review made by Lincoln feat. SGV, Don Breezio, Ja Rule and Benzino..

Wow Jomo great joke.  ::)

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2003, 01:30:21 PM »
I'm a little disapointed with the album but it is growing on me a bit.  

I just stopped reading this "review" after I saw the ratings.  It's pretty damn baised.

da_notorious_mack

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2003, 02:52:53 PM »
Granted the review seems kind of biased, but I actually agree with him, for the most part. Yes he may have exaggarated a bit but he raised some good points. The album didn't appeal to me much either... it IS kinda wack, actually. There's bad lyrics with little substance and generally bad production. I mean I've only had the album for a week and just listened through the whole thing once, and even that was a challenge in its own, it's just so unexciting to listen to. Now I only bump "Poppin' Them Thangs" (because of a SICK Dre beat)

yep...he exagerated but i agreed on most the shit to a lesser extent...apart from the llyod banks..i think he a great talent....it might jus think this shit wack maybe cus im comparin it to the jay album...which is a banga...

PLANT

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2003, 03:11:53 PM »
Its definatly a ver harsh review, but IMO the album was pretty weak, and very dissapointing.

Nightfall

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2003, 04:26:07 PM »
im not feeling g-unit at all, theyre wack as fuck

but this dude knows NOTHING about decent reviews

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2003, 05:27:07 PM »
lol@everyone calling Jome Jomo 3 years after I coined the term...

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2003, 06:02:54 PM »
lol I admire the dude who has the motivation to write such a long text just to say "Fuck G-Unit and everyone who's down wit em, I hate them and Im retarded as well" basically.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 06:03:28 PM by 7even[pG] »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin