Author Topic: The Maitreya Project (History of Bhuddism)  (Read 399 times)

Instant_Killa

The Maitreya Project (History of Bhuddism)
« on: October 22, 2002, 08:50:44 PM »
This is a massive once in a life time project which includes the construction of a 500ft bronze bhudda statue. The site will serve as a massive religious and educational complex and will be a centre for buiding and maintaining spiritual peace. The project is expected to be completed by 2005 and will last for at least 1000 years. The site will be located in north eastern part of India. This is gonna be dope, i cant wait to visit this place when i go for vacation to india in the next 5-10 years.

For more information on the statue : http://www.maitreyaproject.org/

this is an artist's impression of what the statue will look like:

I decided to make a replica of this post from anything goes to hall of mirrors since this is related to religion, so for those of you who don't visit the anythinggoes section frequently can still see this post here.

peace
« Last Edit: October 23, 2002, 12:28:49 PM by +Apocalypse+ »

Instant_Killa

Re:The Maitreya Project
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2002, 09:47:29 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The history of Buddhism in India starts with that of its founder Gautama Buddha who lived in the 6th century B.C.E.

Life

Buddha was born in the Shakya clan that belonged to the warrior (Kshatriya) caste. His father was Shudhodana and his mother Maya. Before Buddha was born his mother had a dream in which a white elephant descended from heaven and entered her womb. Buddha was said to have been born in a grove named Lumbini near the ancient town of Kapilavastu. At birth the name given to him was Gautama, probably after the more ancient Vedic seer to whom some of the hymns in the Rigveda are ascribed. Buddha was also known as Siddhartha which means 'he whose aim is accomplished' The latter name seems to be a title given to him by his disciples} although varying opinions are held on this issue.

The Prophecy of Buddha

At his birth, a sage is said to have told King Shudhodana that Gautama would grow up to be a powerful king. But to become a king he should be kept away from the sorrows of 1ife. And if perchance he happened to see any of the sorrows of life he would become an universal teacher. Keen as King Shudhodhana was to see Gautama to be a sucessful ruler, he built up special palace for Gautama from where he could set his eyes on none of the world's sufferings. Even when the prince Gautama went out for stroll or ride, all unpleasant objects were removed so as to prevent Gautama's mind from being disturbed.

The Young Gautama is kept away from Real Life

But the prophesy of Gautama becoming an universal teacher was destined to be fulfilled. One day through some lapse, Gautama managed to s1ip out unnoticed from the palace. Riding through the streets of the city he saw for the first time in his life, a lame person, a sick person, a dead body and an ascetic.

These sights made a deep impact on his tender teenaged mind and he set thinking upon the cause of sufferings and sorrow. Consequently, Gautama began neglecting the affairs of the State which his father had assigned to him. Alarmed at his son's strange behaviour, King Shudhodana, to get his son off this brroding decided to marry him to a princess Yashodhara. Some days after marriage a son was born to them who was named Rahula.

But married life could not distract Gautama from his life's mission for long. When his patience was at the end of its tether, Gautawna decided to forsake family life and one day he slipped out of his palace alongwith his servant Chandaka. After moving out of the city, Gautema cut off his hair removed his royal ornaments and jewels, his rich garments and sandals and gave them to Chandaka and bid him to return to the palace with the news of his (Gautama's) departure.

Gautama becomes The Buddha - The Enlightened One

Thus Gautama set out on his quest for the cause of sufferings (Klesha). He undertook severe austerities by fasting continuously. In this he was accompanied by five disciples. But his frail and pampered body could not stand up to this self-inflicted punishment and one day he fainted. Realizing that this was not the way to arrive at the truth, he gave up the austerities. Horrified at their Master's apostasy the five disciples left him. But undaunted, Gautama continued his quest for the cause of sufferings. He seated himself under a fig tree (Mahabodhi tree) and decided not get up unless he found answers to his questions. His enlightenment is said to have come suddenly and was exceedingly simple - viz., that all pain is caused - by desire, and therefore peace comes when one ceases to crave for anything. This thought was new at that age and it struck him with blinding force, and not only influenced his future life but left a lasting imprint on Buddhist philosophy. Freedom from all desires was said to release a person from the cycle of re-birth and lead to his salvation (Nirvana).

After this revealation Gautama started preaching to people and for this he travelled from place to place. He is said to have delivered his first sermon at a deer park (Isipatana) setting in motion, the wheel of law (Dharma-chakra or Dhammachakra in Pali).

As his teachings impressed people his followlng grew. Among his early converts were Sariputta, Mogallana and Ananda. He even received the patronage of rich traders like Anathapindika (i.e. feeder of poor) and powerful kinqs of the age like Ajatashatru of Magadha. After the revelation (Bodhi), Gautama came to be known as Buddha or Gautama Buddha . He was also known as Shakyamuni (Sage of the Shakyas). The tree under which he attained enlightenment is known as the Bodhi or Mahabodhi tree But though he received an impressive following Buddha never claimed Divine status. Very few miracles are attributed to him.

"Miracles" by the Buddha

On one occasion a grieving lady carried her dead child to Buddha and asked him to revive it. This was a perfect setting for a miracle to be woven into religious folklore, but Buddhist records state that Buddha calmed the lady and told her that he would require three mustard seeds to revive her child. But the mustard seeds should be from a family where so far no one has ever died. To fulfill this seemingly simple request the lady went from house to house only to be told that sometime or the other, someone had died in every family. Gradually, the truth dawned upon the grieving lady and going to a cemetery, she laid down her child's body and taking its little hand in hers, she said "Beloved son, I thought that death has overtaken you alone. but no it overtakes all of us". She went back to Buddha and became his disciple.

Instant_Killa

Re:The Maitreya Project
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2002, 12:26:10 PM »
looks like no one cares about Bhuddism on this board....all  ppl talk about i feel is christianity and islam
« Last Edit: October 23, 2002, 12:47:52 PM by +Apocalypse+ »

Instant_Killa

Re:The Maitreya Project (History of Bhuddism)
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2002, 01:05:49 PM »
I think Bhuddism dates back before christianity, if im wrong then pls correct me. Bhuddism  was formed aroung 6th cebntury BC.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2002, 01:46:37 PM »
Yeah, far as I know Bhuddism is older than Christianity and Islam. The reason why most people on this board don't talk about Bhuddism is probably that there are no Bhuddists on here (or as good as none maybe) and unlike both Christianity & Islam Bhuddism isn't a religion that is often discussed or in the news today. Anyways, this project looks quite interesting though I doubt I'ma go to India very soon...nice post
« Last Edit: October 23, 2002, 01:46:54 PM by K i l l u m i n a t i »

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2002, 01:54:57 PM »
Yup, Buddhism was formed around 600 b.c... that's a very important date, a lot of revolutionary things happened in 600 b.c. (For instance, that's the date that Lehi, the first prophet of the book of mormon left Jerusalem)... give or take 10 or so years, many many religions had something big happen at 600 b.c.

RAPQUAKE

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2002, 05:44:37 PM »
yo apocalypse i enjoyed reading ur article...recently I was interested in learnin a little about Buddhism. Of course I had read his story when I was a kid in India so i remmber those parts about him being a king and all. Buddhism is pretty similar to Hinduism, but i dont know much about Buddhism, but the part about leaving all desires in ur life is the road to peace...and thats what Hindu preacers say too...lol but i aint doin that for a long ass time, im too young baby lol peace.

Instant_Killa

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2002, 12:09:22 PM »
thanks yall for sharing your views, more are welcome ofcourse.

peace
« Last Edit: October 24, 2002, 12:09:49 PM by +Apocalypse+ »