Author Topic: Indonesia: Muslims Blow Up Nightclub, Kill 110 People.....  (Read 997 times)

CWalker187

Indonesia: Muslims Blow Up Nightclub, Kill 110 People.....
« on: October 12, 2002, 11:52:21 PM »
.....all because they were foreigners.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,65513,00.html

Indonesian Nightclub Bombing, Called an 'Act of Terror,' Kills Over 110  

FNC  
Saturday, October 12, 2002

JAKARTA, Indonesia  — An explosion that ripped through a Bali nightclub Saturday killed at least 110 people, injured hundreds more and sparked a devastating inferno, prompting officials to call it the worst act of terror in the country's history.

Many foreigners were among those killed in the Sari Club at the Kuta Beach resort, but their nationalities were not available, said Lt. Col. Yatim Suyatno, a police spokesman.

"We have received 110 bodies so far," said Molin Yudiasa, a doctor at Denpasar's main Sanghlah Hospital.

The injured were being treated in area hospitals and clinics, said officials at Sanglah hospital in Denpasar, 600 miles east of Jakarta.

Wayan Putra, a driver at the nearby hotel, said dozens of injured were evacuated by scooter drivers who normally ferry tourists from one part of the resort to another.

The explosion went off about 11 p.m. A second bomb detonated a few minutes later in the nearby city of Denpasar, Bali's capital, about 300 feet from a U.S. consular office, Suyatno said. There were no casualties in the second explosion, according to police.

"This is the worst act of terror in Indonesia's history," said Gen. Da'i Bachtiar, the national police chief. "We have to be more alert for other acts of terror."

Witnesses on the popular tourist island said that the flames spread to another club and burned several other buildings on the same block and a dozen cars.

"The place was packed, and it went up within a millisecond," Simon Quayle, the coach of an Australian rules football team, told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.

Quayle, whose team was visiting Bali and at the resort at the time of the blast, said he made it safely out of the building but eight of his 19 players were missing.

A bomb squad was investigating both explosions. Despite the belief among some that the explosion was an act of terror, Indonesian officials have declined to provide a motive or blame any group.

Alexander Downer, Australia's Foreign Minister, blamed the explosion on terrorism while appearing on Australian Broadcasting Corp. television. He said he believed the Sari nightclub was targeted because it was popular with Australians and other foreigners.

Downer said Australians were almost certainly among the dead, estimating that at least 40 Australians were injured, about 15 of them seriously.

British officials said at least five Britons were injured.

White House spokeswoman Jeanie Mamo said Washington was monitoring the situation and working with Indonesian authorities. U.S. officials said they didn't know if there were any Americans among the casualties.

The blasts, occurring on the second anniversary of the Al Qaeda-linked attack against USS Cole off Yemen that left 17 sailors dead, come amid increasing fears by the United States and others that Indonesia is becoming a safe haven for terrorists and that Al Qaeda operatives are active there.

Indonesian officials have denied the claims, but the U.S. Embassy in the national capital of Jakarta closed Sept. 10 and remained shut for six days due to what U.S. officials said were threats possibly linked to Al Qaeda. And Americans traveling in central Java were warned to be vigilant.

Days later, a hand grenade exploded in a car near a house belonging to the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta, killing one man. There was conflicting information as to whether the device was meant to harm Americans.

Authorities in Malaysia and Singapore have alleged that members of Jemaah Islamiyah -- a group said to be seeking to set up an Islamic state in Southeast Asia -- are based in Indonesia.

Singapore has been pressing Indonesia to arrest Jemaah Islamiyah's alleged leader, Abu Bakar Bashir, who lives in Indonesia. But Indonesian officials say they have no evidence against him.

Australia tourist Rachel Hughes, 18, said she and a friend had just arrived in Kuta when the blast occurred.

"Standing in the foyer of the Bounty Hotel, people were just walking in, blood dripping off them, burns to their face, skin coming off them," she told Australia's Seven Network.

Police and the military restricted access in and out of Bali from Denpasar's Ngurah Rai airport and the area seaports in Benoa, Gilimanuk and Padang Bai, Suyatno said, according to a report carried by the state-run Antara news agency.

Although Indonesia has been wracked by ethnic and religious violence since the overthrow four years ago of former dictator Suharto, Bali itself has remained quiet. Saturday's bombings are likely to be a huge blow to Indonesia's lucrative tourism industry and might also undermine government efforts to revive the economy.

"Bali has always, always been safe. We depend on tourism for our livelihood. Our name has been smeared by this horrible blast," said Putra, the driver.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Don Seer

Re:Indonesia: Muslims Blow Up Nightclub, Kill 110 People.....
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2002, 02:34:53 AM »
its mostly austrailians and i think 6 from the UK.

ozzies treat bali like UK folx treat spain.

closetothalimit

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2002, 04:19:25 AM »
being an aussie this attack has hit close to home.
my girlfriend's uncle is around that area at the moment and there is still no report if he is ok.
its sad those lives have being lost ,though no motive is known at this time,m the aussies were just celebrating in a well established tourist area and have being punished for being westerners according to the media.
 Our Prime Minister is pissed off, and Aust. has already comitted itself to finding those responsible

I pray that my gf's relative is alive and well, and I pray that those responsible are punished fairly and justly

- Peace To All -

DJ_Jay_Deee

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2002, 05:33:11 AM »
I went to Bali for 10 days, i got back on Friday. I was at that exact night club about 3 nights ago. I went to the 'Sari Club' quite a bit, about 4 times. Freaky shit. What if it happened when i was there?? I don't even wanna think about it. That could of been me.

The whole club is filled with tourists american, english, german and mostly Aussies. The only Indonesian people at the clubs, were the ones that were working at the bar. So it was an attack on Western people.

RIP to all the people that died. The death toll has risen to 180 and is still rising.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2002, 05:36:05 AM by Jay-D aka Skud »

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2002, 06:13:50 AM »
and so austrailia enters the war on terrorism...

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2002, 07:46:52 AM »
This attack is probably a result of what Bali was treated like, I don't see any other reasons for it. I hope this ain't gonna end in another war

may the victims rest in peace

Nostromoo

• Lil Geezy
  • Ermintrude is my mum
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2002, 05:15:23 AM »
So how do you know Muslims did it? At the moment there's no evidence that the people who carried out the attack where Muslim. I know it's a tragady that so many people died and it's a cowardly and horrible attack but you shouldn't just go around blaming an entire religion for the acts of a few lunatics - especially without evidence.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2002, 06:22:59 AM »
So how do you know Muslims did it? At the moment there's no evidence that the people who carried out the attack where Muslim. I know it's a tragady that so many people died and it's a cowardly and horrible attack but you shouldn't just go around blaming an entire religion for the acts of a few lunatics - especially without evidence.
I did hear they were muslims, but anyways, C-Walker would consider any act of violence a muslim's fault

verbalassaulta

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2002, 04:45:09 PM »
typical muslim actions  >:(

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2002, 08:11:05 PM »
typical ignorant comment ^
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Sikotic™

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2002, 08:37:10 PM »
RIP to all the victims
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Instant_Killa

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2002, 12:34:18 PM »
americans are so ignorant that they think that these blast are linked with al qaeida and that al qaeda is responsibe....well most of the casualties were australian and others rather than US...hence this act poses a question....why would al qaeida attack aussies n indonesians? therefore this is not an attack by them, however it is no more than an attack by indonesians against their politicians and government...if u look back at the history of bali, theyve been through bad times and have had political probs....id say these attacks are against the government not against muslims or anyone....

ill have an article later to support what i said

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2002, 03:08:43 PM »
id say these attacks are against the government not against muslims or anyone....

Uhh since when is Al Qaida against muslims?

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2002, 11:19:15 PM »
Dats a trip......I been 2 dat place too.......Im serious.

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!