Author Topic: Canibus - Rip The Jacker  (Read 2318 times)

Foesum

Canibus - Rip The Jacker
« on: November 11, 2003, 04:36:45 PM »
Ima do a review like once a month or somethin. Some niggas were asking about a Canibus review so here we go:

Canibus - Rip The Jacker
Baby Grande 2003

Intro

Genabis - Decent start to the album, Canibus brings it with a freestyle kinda feel to it. The beat is good, but i don't like the chorus very much.  4/5

Leitibus -  The beat for this song is awesome, its really addictive, the sample of the women is hot. Canibus flows on it perfectly, i love this track alot. The chorus is also made up of samples, dunno off by heart what ones. 5/5

M-Sea-Cresy - Same sorta concept as "Letibus", i like this song too quite a bit. Samples in the chorus and a women singing, same as "Letibus". But i think Canibus could've come stronger on this one. 4/5

No Return - The beat is sick again on this, Canibus is real sick on this too. The flute and the singing makes it even better. 5/5

Spartibus - Ooooooooh, i love the beat to this too much. Rakim is sampled up on here. This is the first single, for those who didn't know. Canibus couldn't have made it better. 5/5

Indibisible - This has taken me a long time to get use to, ever since i heard it, a month or two ago now. The singing, thats it, its hard to get use to. 4/5

Show Time At The Gallow - Meh, nothing very special for me. Its alright i guess. Canibus still comes all-around well. 2/5

Psych Evaluation - The only good thing here is the lyrics, thats it. The beat sucks and his flow on it is worse. 1/5

Cemantics - Theres a feel to the beat i like, so its good. Bis comes hard on this and his flow is like whoa. 4/5

Poet Laureate II - Wow, the beat(s),  the lyrics, the flow. This is too good to be true. The beat at first is sorta weird, then it switches after about 2 minutes, then again after another 2 minutes and then back to the beginning. The song is like 9 minutes long, and thats too good to be true. The highlight of the album. Canibus at his best with his lyrics, amazing. 6/5

Overall - You got average sh*t, then wack sh*t, then average sh*t again. Nothing that special. I actually burned it. It ain't worth buying. Hate to break it to you.

7.8/10

On The Edge of Insanity

Re:Canibus - Rip The Jacker
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 05:24:08 AM »
You gave every song apart from two of them a 4 or 5 out of 5 rating, and then you said there was some average shit and some wack shit. Well I wouldn't call songs you gave 5/5 average would you? Your final analysis makes no sense compared to the rest of the review.

Foesum

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 01:06:56 PM »
4/5 to me is average.

I said, average shit, then totally wack, then average again.

Two of those songs don't even deserve the full 5 but they don't deserve 4.5 either

Don Breezio

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 04:53:27 PM »
man imo this is one of the best albums of 03...Genabis will always be my favorite canibus song...a perfect start to the album

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 04:43:59 AM »
I think prehaps that 3/5 should be your average cause most people would see 5/5 a classic track 4/5 as a dope track etc. Props for doing a review though, wish more people would.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 01:28:56 PM »
one of the best albums of the year IMO

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

ARYC

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 03:53:23 AM »
"You gave every song apart from two of them a 4 or 5 out of 5 rating, and then you said there was some average shit and some wack shit. Well I wouldn't call songs you gave 5/5 average would you? Your final analysis makes no sense compared to the rest of the review."

I agree....

And 4/5 IS AVERAGE TO U!!!!!!!!
come on!!!I'm not dissing the ratings u've given as everyone has an opinion BUT u should seriously reconsider the ratings u give to a song...if it's average give it a 3 not a 4

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 10:30:19 AM »
is this review a joke?
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Canibus- Rip The Jacker (The "Give Justice" Review)
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2003, 11:22:33 AM »
1. Intro- "Justice is a funny thing. No matter how man tries to impose himself, it follows it's own course. He imbetted a name for himself...The Ripper. He began arranging the few megar posessions of his victims in wierd patterns at their feet." This is not an intro you just skip over, the beat is hauting and the sample which i wrote out above gives you a hint of what's about to hit you over the next 45 minutes.

2. Genebis- an incredible way to begin the album. The beat samples "Candyman" if i'm not mistaken. The first verse is classic, canibus compares discovering the art of rap over a 7 day period, like how God created man. And in the second verse he makes a point which hard-core Bis fans have been trying to spread for years:

"They backslide back to church and call a minister's bluff
They rather remain unenlightened then listen to Bus", need i say more, 5/5

3. Levitibus- the beat hits you like a ton of bricks, and the sample of the women in the backround is a musical masterpiece. Combine that with Canibus spitten knowledge with no flaws, awesome wordplay and a chorus which samples a line from a Inspector Deck track (correct me if i'm wrong). I feel the third verse hits the hardest when he touches the topic of why he's not a best selling rapper:

"you look at me like "poor bastard
why cant you manipulate billboards with all your metaphor magic?"
no matter how hard I practiced
every microphone I sorta grabbed it
obviously thats the wrong tactic"

and what he was thinking when writing C True Hollywood Stories:

"I went through a long period of mourning and sadness
when I wrote that Stan shit"

i think the honesty is what gives his lyrics such impact here, 5/5

M-Sea-Creasy- by now you are getting a feel of how Stoupe styles of production is, and how Canibus compliments it like Guru does Primo. The beat is a little slower and more calm, and there is a women singing in the backround which sounds sped-up, but it gives a great feel. Canibus tears it aprt once again with incredible knowledge such as:

see the reason there's no light at the end of tunnel
is cuz we're really not in a tunnel, we're trapped in a bubble
the government hired Ian LeDrexis society
can you explain why you believe hell is firey?
we sufferin from symptons of Drapetamania
slavery isnt over, it just took a new alias"

4.5/5

5. No Return- from the first time i heard this cd i felt this would've been the best track to release as a single to get exposure. The beat has got a raggae feel to it and the story-telling is amazing. The beauty of it is it's nothing like the sell-out shit you hear on 106 & Park but with a well produced video it would hold it's own. Verses one and two are great but i feel the final verse steals the show:

"I heard the ringtone of the red phone
Headquarters informed us there was an explosion in the red zone
We were ordered to get ready to go
and to get into our bio-weapons protective gear and clothes
I rode shotgun, my partner Ramirez drove
GPS control gave us coordinates where to go
Soon as we got there I could feel the hot air
For a second I stopped and stared, there was cops everywhere
I told 'em we need to get a square perimeter clear
We got an hour 'till nightfall, so light some flares
I said a twenty second prayer then ran to the second chair-
the lift that was there, then I waved my hands up in the air
to signal that it was clear before I ran upstairs
I could barely see, smoke was so thick in the air
I was visually impaired and started to get scared
I heard a woman scream "HELP" but I didn't know where
I started screamin' back "I'm not gonna leave you here"
Sayin to myself "damn it's hard to breathe in here"
Searched the rooms one by one like "fuck my lungs"
Ramirez said the fire truck got stuck by the front
I crawled all the way through the foyer to the end of the hallway
and seen her on the floor next to the doorway
I was half unconscious but I just ignored the pain
Helped her to her feet and she had her arm in a brace
All this tar-like black stuff was all in her face
I radio Ramirez coughin and tried to explain
I heard him say something to me like "It's all in flames!"
There was ceiling debris fallin all over the place
I looked her in her eye, she looked into mine, it was strange
Then I blinked for the last time and never saw her again"

5/5

6. Spartibus- released as the first single. The beat is hard hitting and well put tegether with an East-Indian type feel to it. The Sample of Rakim on the chorus completes this track as a hip-hop classic which is becoming a routine on Rip The Jacker, 5/5

7. Indibisible- released as the second single. The start of the song might make you think this is gonna be a dance song, but that quickly changes when the beat kicks. Canibus once again takes over perfectly with Stoupe's production by spitting what the game has been lacking for awhile now, check some of this shit out:

"Observe the whole world's pain
And tell me you ain't tired of brain
The catholic faith will never be the same
You could be put in chains 'cause you got a Muslim name
Sent to Guantánamo Bay and tortured for days
Man, I'd rather buy some land and grow and orchard of grapes
Drink vegetable juice and stay away from steaks and shakes and snakes
These rancid corporations is fake
Nobody ever gives you what they already didn't take"

4.5/5

8. Showtime At The Gallow- possibly my favorite beat on the cd. The whistle that plays in the backround throughout the song has been stuck in my heads for days at a time. Canibus doesn't upset either continously giving you bars to prove he may be the ilest ever to grace a Mic. I Can't forget to mention how Canibus touches on the LL battle but only this time looking at the situation like maybe he was in the wrong:

"Sometimes I feel like killin' myself they've stolen my shine
I wanted to be the illest for a moment in time
From the ink to my pen to my pad to the ink in my arm
How can one diss song possibly last this long?
Tyson ain't the champ no more them days is gone
And Rip the Jacker ain't too stubborn to say when he's wrong"

combine all this with samples from Epmd on the chorus and the track is a banger, 5/5

9. Psych Evaluation- slower darker beat, there are so many quotables in this song i suggest you turn the song on and read along at ohhla.com, if you haven't been doing it all along so far. More samples on the chorus make this shit off the hook. Canibus' growth as an emcee is shown on the third verse here:

"You think because I'm not on a major I can't bus'
And because I come from the ghetto that I can't adjust
Yeah my disposition was rough
But it turned me into a quick learner, all I need now is some luck
I used to be a undisciplined piece of fecal matter
A underdog rapper, but I closed that chapter"

all in all a great track, 4.5/5

10. Cemantics- when i first heard the Guru sample on the chorus i almost went ape-shit. The beat is bangin and fast paced and Canibus tears it to shreads:

"Let's talk about the incredible rap flow
We can have a Dinner for Five with John Favreau
See it comes to me natural
One of my integral attributes, is to be lyrically tactful
I can prove who's nicer, who's not an emcee
Through falsifiable scientific hypothesis
In recent times, I find it's never been about the rhymes
The game is very politicized
Those who sympathize with they hearts and minds
Show hatred through the mouth, body language and eyes
Sometimes I say to myself, why do I even try
In spite of whatever happens, I love it until I die"

awesome hard-core Bis here, 4.5/5

11. Poet Laureate II- i can't even begin to describe this track. 162 straight bars. It's pointless to explain, just listen  :o
Quite possibly the greatest hip hop song i've heard since 100 Bars...a 5/5 doesn't even do this song justice, ?/5

all in all, it's the best album of 2003 with The Ownerz running second. Canibus and Stoupe's chemistry is classic, there is no reason why they shouldn't work together in the future. any hip hop head should have this cd, and if you're sleeping on it....WAKE THE FUCK UP. Overall 5/5, 10/10, 5 Stars, 5 Mics or whatever you want to call it, peace.

Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Canibus- Rip The Jacker (The "Give Justice" Review)
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2003, 05:07:44 PM »
I can't listen to Canibus for more than 4 songs in a row on his last two albums.  You look at each one of his songs individually on here and they are great but the album as a whole not really.

It's just the same thing over and over and over and over and over...

platinumk777

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2003, 08:41:01 PM »
good review, homie... definitely givin the LP some justice. props
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 08:41:13 PM by Coochie Monster »

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2003, 12:18:40 PM »
on point review. I agree with almost all of your ratings and comments. I used to dislike Bis' so much up untill this album, this shit is straight up classic.
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

KVB

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2003, 12:46:18 PM »
on point review. I agree with almost all of your ratings and comments. I used to dislike Bis' so much up untill this album, this shit is straight up classic.

Agreed.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2003, 05:58:47 PM »
amazing lyrics and amzing beats.... hes lackin on flow, cause its all the same, but i def do not get tired, just tring to listen to every lyric and interperet it gives me more reason to listen, i though no return was lackin, some rhymes on there were really corny, but the beat was hot

KIA

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2003, 11:52:41 PM »
CLASSIC!