Author Topic: Ja Rule Ruled Out on Charts  (Read 271 times)

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Ja Rule Ruled Out on Charts
« on: November 19, 2003, 08:03:05 AM »
I just thought this was an interesting article.  Ja Foo is done!

Ax

Ja Rule Ruled Out on Charts
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,103485,00.html#2

Even worse than last week’s showing, rapper Ja Rule’s new album dropped an astounding 45% in sales last week. It went from number 6 to number 26, selling about 50,000 copies. It sold 145,000 in its first week.

Ja Rule is not exactly a long-term artist. In fact, it was a fluke of sorts that his “duets” with Jennifer Lopez and Ashanti became hits. He can’t sing and he doesn’t write songs. The success of his raps have had little to do with lyrical content. He’s merely been the counterpoint to female singers in hit songs.

Still, the quick failure of his album can only sting at his label, Murder Inc./Def Jam, which is struggling right now. Murder Inc. founder Irv Gotti recently announced that he was dropping the word "murder" from the company’s moniker because of the connotation. (There’s been a lot of violence associated with the label.)

Def Jam itself would be in big trouble right now if it weren’t for another rapper, Jay-Z. His “Black Album,” touted as his grand finale, sold a little less than a half-million copies and finished first on the charts. The big question is whether it can hold those sales and build, or if Jay-Z and the Def Jam rap phenomenon is over. If so, or if it’s been badly wounded, the real victims could be label execs who might be viewed expendable in a bad economic time for the record business
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure..
~Theodore Roosevelt

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Ja Rule Ruled Out on Charts
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 08:20:27 AM »

N-Sane Brain

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 08:34:00 AM »
...Ja Rule is not exactly a long-term artist. In fact, it was a fluke of sorts that his “duets” with Jennifer Lopez and Ashanti became hits. He can’t sing and he doesn’t write songs. The success of his raps have had little to do with lyrical content. He’s merely been the counterpoint to female singers in hit songs...

Funny how an online-magazine disses Ja Rule ;D But actually you have to say that Ja' made those who wanted some "Venni, Vetti, Vecci"-based tracks a favour (I saw that many of you praised the album in other threads), and that's the result :( Anyway, it doesn't matter to me, so fuck it :P

eNgIeS

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 08:48:07 AM »
Nice to see the horror run of Ja Rule as the "top rapper" is over. Unfortunately we still have fakes in the game like Nelly & Puffy

I actually dont mind 50 & G-Unit, while there not necessarily the best rappers, they arent "wack" like some here call em, & i think the albums great. As long as it brings the hardcore back into the game instead of the soft cock "so many rappers in love" type shit (heck Jigga's 2 singles from fuckin BP2 were love songs, that fuckin Me & My Girlfriend rip off & Excuse Me Miss)

Defiance

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 06:52:20 PM »
Thank God!