Author Topic: Why did 50 change his lyrical style?  (Read 340 times)

Code Blue

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Why did 50 change his lyrical style?
« on: November 23, 2003, 07:58:33 PM »
Now I'll admit I haven't listened to a lot of pre-Shady 50 shit, but from what I have heard his lyrics are a hell of a lot better than what he spit on "GRODT" and "Beg For Mercy". I'm especially feelin' "Life's On The Line". He ripped that shit IMO. So why did he switch up? Was it to become more "commercial" for he could become more appealing?

kottonmouthninja

Re:Why did 50 change his lyrical style?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 08:00:31 PM »
dont know but he is horrible!

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 08:03:37 PM »
Was it to become more "commercial" for he could become more appealing?
Yep. I was a 50 Cent fan back a few years ago. After he got shot he started being wack.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

SGV

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2003, 08:05:35 PM »
Because back then he didn't have a selling point, so he tried to be lyrical, which didn't work out. So, once he had a selling point, his being shot, he became a mumble-mouth moron.

Jome

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2003, 08:11:59 PM »
Topics was the same, rhymes was the same..
Flows more unpolished, and the rhymes wasn't as "catchy" as today.
And his voice changed after the shooting.. gave him his "lazy flow" or "slow flow" if you want.
Not much changed but he became easier accessable, and I guess he did like Jay-Z:

I dumbed down for my audience, to double my dollars

Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense
(But I did 5 mill.) I ain't been rhymin' like Common since

It's the same for all the big rappers, if you wanna sell, you gotta be polished and easy accessible.. preferably have a catchy flow/style/lyrics too.

kottonmouthninja

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2003, 08:12:42 PM »
Because back then he didn't have a selling point, so he tried to be lyrical, which didn't work out. So, once he had a selling point, his being shot, he became a mumble-mouth moron.

lmao@ mumble mouth moron!

Don Breezio

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2003, 09:14:12 PM »
this is why i dont like 50 cent...its not because of the lyrics he uses...there would be a lot of other rappers i didnt like if that were it...its because i know he's capable of better lyrics...i loved 50 cent the first time i heard how to rob back when it came out on the in too deep soundtrack...i use to make sure i had every single 50 cent track (although i couldnt download music so all i had was the shit that he was featured on and such)...and then he put out GRODT...and i threw it away (except the few tracks i was feeling off that album)

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2003, 09:19:29 PM »
hahaha

The Watcher

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2003, 09:30:25 PM »
one reason: to get paid

he wasnt goin anywhere like he was before he got shot.. he said somethin about it in a song

".. Banks said go ahead, swtich your style up
if niggas hate then let them hate, but watch the money pile up"
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2003, 10:20:02 PM »
Em's nut's in his mouth..

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2003, 11:28:50 AM »

he wasnt goin anywhere like he was before he got shot.. he said somethin about it in a song

Yeah... "I'ma tell you what Banks told me, cuz go 'head, switch yo style up, if niggaz hate then let 'em hate and watch the money pile up."

Now, take a look at this thread right here (and many other "50-hating" threads). Ain't it ironic? That's exactly what's happening - y'all hatin', 50's watching the money pile up.

Gotta admit it though that 50's performance on Beg For Mercy was a big let down. But I think I know what the hell is the problem there and the whole album not being as tight as anticipated - the executive production. 50 did it, with Sha Money XL as co-exec. Get Rich Or Die Tryin' had two other execs that knew what the fuck they were doing and just how you make a tight album, not just a collection of songs. (I know this was off-topic, but I had to say it.)

The Watcher

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2003, 05:06:25 PM »

comin from the guy with a naked picture of Em in his avatar..  ::)
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Code Blue

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2003, 06:27:34 PM »

comin from the guy with a naked picture of Em in his avatar..  ::)

Hahaha.

But anyways, I've lost a lil' respect for 50 because of this fact. I don't understand why he just doesn't go bac to his old style? I mean he's already runnin' the rap game basically, and he already has plenty of fans, so IMO if he got mre lyrical then he'd also win the respect [maybe] of his many haters.

eS El Duque

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2003, 07:58:39 PM »

Yeah... "I'ma tell you what Banks told me, cuz go 'head, switch yo style up, if niggaz hate then let 'em hate and watch the money pile up."

Now, take a look at this thread right here (and many other "50-hating" threads). Ain't it ironic? That's exactly what's happening - y'all hatin', 50's watching the money pile up.

Gotta admit it though that 50's performance on Beg For Mercy was a big let down. But I think I know what the hell is the problem there and the whole album not being as tight as anticipated - the executive production. 50 did it, with Sha Money XL as co-exec. Get Rich Or Die Tryin' had two other execs that knew what the fuck they were doing and just how you make a tight album, not just a collection of songs. (I know this was off-topic, but I had to say it.)

word

Jome

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2003, 09:49:34 PM »

Word, 50 played second violin to Banks & Buck on "Beg for Mercy".
Dre should have exec. produced it, it wasn't consistant..