Author Topic: Islam regarding women...  (Read 450 times)

Woodrow

Islam regarding women...
« on: September 17, 2002, 11:14:45 PM »
I was wondering if somebody could explain these verses I just saw. Is it out of context? I don't really understand lots of it, but Im trying to gain more knowledge about all religions... Is this a rough translation or what?

(4:34)
"Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allâh has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient (to Allâh and to their husbands), and guard in the husband's absence what Allâh orders them to guard (e.g. their chastity, their husband's property, etc.). As to those women on whose part you see ill­conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly, if it is useful), but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance). Surely, Allâh is Ever Most High, Most Great."

(4:15)
"And those of your women who commit illegal sexual intercourse, take the evidence of four witnesses from amongst you against them; and if they testify, confine them (i.e. women) to houses until death comes to them or Allâh ordains for them some (other) way."

http://www.unn.ac.uk/societies/islamic/quran/noble/nobae004.htm
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

CWalker187

Re: Islam regarding women...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 09:09:01 AM »
Islam is a very oppressive religon and promotes disgusting inequality of between men and women.

This is old news.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2002, 12:33:00 PM »
Islam is a very oppressive religon and promotes disgusting inequality of between men and women.

This is old news.

how about i tell my sister to wear a miniskirt and pull tricks, will that make them equal

and no those quotes are not wrong, Islam believes that in  Earthly matters, the man is the leader of his householdm typical patriarchal stuff

In Gods Eyes, we are all judged equally...in terms of our beliefs, worship , sins etc, but we feel the Man runs his household and is the provider while the women is the caregiver
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2002, 12:34:01 PM »
I was wondering if somebody could explain these verses I just saw. Is it out of context? I don't really understand lots of it, but Im trying to gain more knowledge about all religions... Is this a rough translation or what?

i see thru u lol
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Woodrow

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2002, 12:39:58 PM »
I just find this part intresting:
"As to those women on whose part you see ill­conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them(lightly, if it is useful)...

I don't understand why the beating of women is OK...

Zero4eva

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2002, 12:40:47 PM »

This is old news.

no. The Qu'ran is more openminded and liberal than the Bible. As a fact more atrocities have been committed in the name of God than in Allah's name. Btw, how do Catholics handle the whole thing? I

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2002, 01:06:44 PM »
I just find this part intresting:
"As to those women on whose part you see ill­conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them(lightly, if it is useful)...

I don't understand why the beating of women is OK...

exactly u dont understand it, so why make comments on shit u dont understand, i know thats ya steez and all, but cmon man

- Lewis Carroll

Woodrow

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2002, 01:09:04 PM »

exactly u dont understand it, so why make comments on shit u dont understand, i know thats ya steez and all, but cmon man

So violence twards women is ok?

infinite59

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2002, 01:09:45 PM »
Yes, it says beat them lightly.  If a woman is completely out of line, out making mischief, up in a mans face, threatening him, or maybe even hitting a man;  Islam does make allowances where a man can restrain his woman.  But Allah is with those who restrain themselves.

Women are equal to men in Islam.  The woman runs the home domestically, and the man is to be firm with his woman and provide the financial and social backbone for the family.

^^^ The above is much better then what you have in America today.  In Islamic countries it is rare that a couple should ever divorce.  Families stay together.  So if you think the American way of "doing whatever you want" is better, then I believe you are mistaken.  Allah is the best knower.  Not you.  You could reason your whole way through life and reach groundbreaking conclusions; But even if you reached this point in life, you would still lack the conviction to act on these conclusions with the whole of your being.  You would still be like tumbleweed blowing in the wind.

Woodrow

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2002, 01:11:34 PM »
Yes, it says beat them lightly.  If a woman is completely out of line, out making mischief, up in a mans face, threatening him, or maybe even hitting a man;  Islam does make allowances where a man can restrain his woman.  But Allah is with those who restrain themselves.

Women are equal to men in Islam.  The woman runs the home domestically, and the man is to be firm with his woman and provide the financial and social backbone for the family.

^^^ The above is much better then what you have in America today.  In Islamic countries it is rare that a couple should ever divorce.  Families stay together.  So if you think the American way of "doing whatever you want" is better, then I believe you are mistaken.  Allah is the best knower.  Not you.  You could reason your whole way through life and reach groundbreaking conclusions; But even if you reached this point in life, you would still lack the conviction to act on these conclusions with the whole of your being.  You would still tumbleweed blowing in the wind.

Thanks for the level-headed response. I just wanna say thank you for taking the time to answer my question thoughtfully and without mallice.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2002, 01:13:50 PM »
why should i give your question legitimacy by answering, im questioning your intentions in making this thread

- Lewis Carroll

infinite59

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2002, 01:22:24 PM »

Thanks for the level-headed response. I just wanna say thank you for taking the time to answer my question thoughtfully and without mallice.

Thank you for recognizing my attempts to be level headed and respectful.  But don't prop me up as a way of lacing a hidden barb against Tech. If I come off more calm then Tech it is only because you have not attacked me as heavily as Tech.  Tech will be respectful with you if you are respectful with him.

Zero4eva

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2002, 01:22:47 PM »
why should i give your question legitimacy by answering, im questioning your intentions in making this thread

and that's the problem. just answer his question - even if you know/ anticipate his intentions. Don't be the one to start the beef. Be smart.

infinite59

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2002, 01:24:58 PM »

and that's the problem. just answer his question - even if you know/ anticipate his intentions. Don't be the one to start the beef. Be smart.

Naw.. Tech man.... just keep doing what your doing man.  You straight dogg.  You know this.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2002, 01:37:57 PM »
i feel what the both of u are sayin

props to Infinite and Zero4ever

- Lewis Carroll