Author Topic: Public Enemy denied Freedom of Speech on MTv  (Read 318 times)

pansophy

• Lil Geezy
  • "What's the higher level if your shit ain't real"
Public Enemy denied Freedom of Speech on MTv
« on: September 13, 2002, 12:36:47 AM »
What do you think?

EMpTy V ; BLACKFACES REDUCED TO BLACKFACE SILENTLY DESIGNING A DUMBED GENERATION IN AMERICA

The aftermath of the MTV Video Awards carries a business as usual stench across the ever influenced cultural uh, black planet. The new power elite in america the selection board of MTV. If I closed my eyes and ears and went back in time it would've been an oily Rockefeller gathering in the 20s,or a scotch and politic driven Kennedy gathering in the 40s. The new power breed of selectors who govern images to feed to the world youth, invisibly anonymous to most, while being the choosers of who, what, when, why, and how.

In the words of my friend Kyle Jason we've ( black people on screen ) been reduced to comedy. As an artist I¹ve been fighting all my career in a genre that has been hijacked by 'culture bandits', simply cats who've used rap music and hip hop as a personal whatever without putting anything back where they've got it from in the first place. That¹s the ongoing complaint by the figureheads that started this thing and I don't blame them. The lack of image balance is killing us.

Cutting to the chase, in this so called business I've overstood the bullsh#t, navigating the lunacy as much as possible to the masses and cats within. But here's the deal, MTV standards ( whoever this roundtable of culture caretakers are all I got was a cat by the name of Tom Calderone who waffled so much on the issue I swore he was swimming in syrup.) has clarified to my people both at KOCH and SLAMjamz records that the 'Gotta Give The Peeps What They Need' video would have to delete all affixed logos (a policy to not promote gear, although I've long thought this to be ridiculous..but whatever I've conceded that this is their little thing to keep situations from making the money they make) and the thing that has myself going to war..and that's to vanish ALL AUDIO AND VISUAL references to Mumia Abu Jamal..the Free Mumia lyric. This is serious. In a climate where they're playing the hell out of Nelly and Khia dumbing american kids (17 and under..like who else is gonna be fanatical about adult life requesting videos?) down to 'its so hot imma take my clothes off' down from 'my neck to the crack of my ass' with a 'shot of courvosier' .No offense to the prior two artists, because I really don't think they know any better. I'm pulling the race card here because MTV has admittingly reduced black faces to blackface.

This time the control factor is the intangible grip over a designed generation, 3 generations across since the MTV span since my 21st birthday in 1981. Well you have designer clothes, designer cars, designer drugs, and designer mentality for a designer generation. MTV has successfully tailored a generation through the thread of popular culture ,to pied piper itself to detach itself from a past while blurring a future, thus dumbing them to the american way of weighing people based on quantity as opposed to quality.

Quantity is the measurement needed for the almighty bottom line ala the corporate dollar. Blackface at its dumbest makes a lotta money for VIACOM. On also owned BET peeps know BRUCE BRUCE more than newsman ED GORDON, reducing us as blackfolk to comedy where we think americas laughing along with us in reality they¹re laughing at us. It's the same reason I left DEF JAM ..we start off rebelling against the one sided control ways of the establishment, only to find that it eventually becomes a worse establishment itself. A joke in the shadows of making money 'holla!

Really it ain't about playing the Public Enemy video. So be it. I do art and songs to provoke and not be a joke. It would've been simple as hell for them to rather say they didn't like the video. But as a black M-A-N it's the NERVE of them judging what's acceptable coming out of a blackface. If they think having a political viewpoint in music is irrelevant, it's because they've taken the nazi approach in censoring it themselves. Deep down.. rap to these standard people is disposable romper room sh#t that will never resonate to the LED ZEPs, BEATLES, NIRVANAS,AEROSMITHs, FLEETWOOD MACS,BON JOVI status they still uphold in their hearts and minds. But based on the ridiculous yet influential decisions they make while in bed with their big business partners (major labels) is unacceptable as far as my community is concerned. Judging that anonymous circle of people in the standard department I feel, think and ultimately know they would rather reduce us into a screen of swinging monkeys, and retreat to their tri-state bridge and tunnel confines.

Thus it always seems I exist in a twist of paradox. I refuse to edit out the MUMIA audio AND visual, that's crazy and they must be out of their f#cking mind. And since then eMpTy V has recended a bit by saying that the visual images can stay in and the names but the word FREE would have to be removed. It's getting funnier by the week ,that's something to never say to a black person (maybe why they would never understand DEAD PREZ's Lets Get Free

This is 2002, so much insanity swirling around Manhattan itself its ridiculous NOT to make a statement about things like this. The paradox is..that the fight completely vanishes the visibility. The edit allows the video to be seen, but compromised and weakened, which music is supposed to hurdle anyway. They didn't mention the H RAP BROWN part which befuddles me for he's accused of the same thing. Maybe they're so unfamiliar and dumb that they don¹t know WHO he is and think I'm talking about some Brown rappin cat or something. I play the race card for real in this case. The charge of VIACOM/ MTV reducing us to comedy through images forces me to flip that card out. Would MTV News cover this story ,especially one in which they're guilty within?
http://www.publicenemy.com

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
"...because he well understood the naivety of men."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Re: Public Enemy denied Freedom of Speech on MTv
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2002, 09:18:11 PM »
good post

man, those fucks at MTV have done it again eh

damn, they censored the Free Mumia lyric, that is so fucked up.......

how does that lyric interfere or damage MTV physically of financially? thats the question

by censoring that lyric, they are admitting in itself, that they represent Right Wing Racists, they being the only people who might take offense to a lyric like that

its fucked to think that they will support Black music when it is conformed to their standards and they will gain financially from it, but when Black music cannot be distorted or conformed to their established manufactured bullshit, they refuse to have anthing to do with it

FUCK MTV
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

infinite59

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2002, 10:08:10 PM »
Word...... EMTY-V only wants to talk about pushing the envolope if that envolope is filled with sex or violence!! But when it comes to saying something against America's special interest ran gov. they ain't playin it.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2002, 11:52:42 PM »
good post

by censoring that lyric, they are admitting in itself, that they represent Right Wing Racists, they being the only people who might take offense to a lyric like that

FUCK MTV

Sikotic™

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2002, 08:22:52 AM »
Word...... EMTY-V only wants to talk about pushing the envolope if that envolope is filled with sex or violence!!

Very true
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2002, 05:02:02 AM »
MTV is just garbage anymore. I haven't watch MTV in years. They only want rap to be stereotypical black people sexing each other. To me, MTV has always been racist, 'cause Latins are a certain way, and black people are a certain way. Artist have no freedom to truly express themselves. Fuck them.

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2002, 05:10:44 AM »
MTV plays what they want, it's their channel, they can pick what they want to play and what they don't.  Chuck D should take it to BET, if it gets played there, great, if it doesn't, lets hear him slam them.  

infinite59

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2002, 09:35:35 AM »
MTV plays what they want, it's their channel, they can pick what they want to play and what they don't.  Chuck D should take it to BET, if it gets played there, great, if it doesn't, lets hear him slam them.  

True....but......The hipocrisy of American society has debased the youth; to the point where they need rap artists on MTV to tell them what's authentic and real in the world today.  It's sad but true.  When I was younger those were some of the only messages that got through to me.  So I understand why Chuck D is so upset.