Author Topic: Affirmative Action Bake Sale!!!!!  (Read 1101 times)

Trauma-san

Affirmative Action Bake Sale!!!!!
« on: December 16, 2003, 06:36:11 AM »
Leftists show their true, hypocritical colors.

The Conservative Cookie Rebellion

Tuesday, December 16, 2003
By Wendy McElroy
Want to buy a cookie? If you are a white male, that'll be $1; for white females, 75 cents; blacks, 25 cents. The price structure is the message.

Through Affirmative Action Bake Sales, conservative groups on campuses across America are satirically and peacefully spotlighting the injustice of AA programs that penalize or benefit students based solely on gender and race. The cookie rebels are being slammed by such a backlash that the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) -- dreaded by many university administrators -- just shot "an opening salvo" in the rebels' defense.

Thor Halvorssen, CEO of FIRE, declared in a press release last Friday: "Parody and political satire are not illegal in this country. College administrators appear to be under the mistaken impression that protesting affirmative action is not covered by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Freedom of speech is a right enjoyed equally and fully by both supporters and opponents of affirmative action."

What are the AA bake sales, and why do they engender such furor?

The sales are intended to spark discussion, not profits. They are in the same genre as guerrilla theater -- an effective counterculture tactic usually associated with the Left -- through which societal assumptions are challenged by acting out scenarios. To the amazed query, "Are you allowed to do this?" one cookie rebel responded, "Admissions officers do it every day." By shifting the context from university policy to baked goods, the assumptions of affirmative action policies are not only challenged as sexist and racist but also revealed as nonsense.

The cookie rebels are doing the one thing political correctness cannot bear: revealing its absurdity and laughing in its face. They are not merely speaking truth to power; they are chuckling at it.

To regain the moral indignation they prize so highly, the politically correct must demonize the sale of baked goods. Thus, at Indiana University one student filed an official complaint, saying that the cookie sale would "create a climate of hostility against students of color and women and can easily turn violent." (The fact that those students were the ones given a price break didn't seem to occur to the irony-starved critic who equated a buyer's discount with a threat of violence.)

To its credit, Indiana University chose to protect the freedom of speech for both sides of the affirmative action issue; it allowed the bake sale to proceed. Other universities have made the opposite choice.

The College Republicans at the University of Washington sponsored an affirmative action bake sale on Oct. 7. CR President Jason Chambers reported, "Approximately 150 students were gathered around our booth discussing the issue [AA] by about 12:30 when our booth was attacked by leftist students who disagreed with our stance on affirmative action." The Leftists threw cookies to the ground, tore down the display and physically attacked one vendor.

When the leftists began making threats, one of the cookie rebels had called the police because he feared the discussion -- hitherto civil -- might turn violent. Chambers explained, "Unfortunately, rather than step in and arrest our attackers, the police stood by while the University said we, the peaceful ones, had to shut down because WE were creating an unsafe environment. ... Our protests that the CRs were peacefully demonstrating while the leftists got violent fell upon deaf ears."

The university allowed a handful of violent students to decide which political views could or could not be expressed on campus. This is called a "heckler's veto"; it is the last resort of those who cannot win an argument through facts or reason.

Halvorssen commented, "Subsequently, in a frightening betrayal of their fiduciary duty and their obligations to the Bill of Rights, UW's Board of Regents released an open letter condemning the College Republicans for being 'hurtful' while failing to mention the counter-demonstrators' disruption of the College Republicans' peaceful expression of their political views on a matter of pressing public concern."

The University of Washington is not alone.

-- The University of California-Irvine shut down its bake sale as discriminatory.

-- Northwestern University ordered students to cease selling cookies or face the police.

-- Southern Methodist University closed the bake sale after 45 minutes because it created an "unsafe" environment.

-- William and Mary officials -- claiming to be "shocked and appalled" -- also cut off the cookies.

Clearly, universities don't like the affirmative action bake sales. One reason: The sales, like that at Indiana University, often feature petitions "to ban the collection of racial data, particularly in the admissions and hiring processes."

But most of all, the politically correct do not like being publicly mocked and revealed as ridiculous.

FIRE is performing the valuable task of shining a bright light on the viciousness with which the PC respond to mockery. Its campaign "will include mailings to alumni, parents, university donors, and state legislators."

Meanwhile the most effective thing the rest of us can do is to keep laughing.

Boss Tweed -- that symbol of political corruption from 19th century New York -- used to rail against cartoonists who parodied him without pause. Tweed knew he could politically survive anything except being the brunt of jokes. As with Tweed, so too with AA. That's the way the cookie and policy crumble.

Don Seer

Re:Affirmative Action Bake Sale!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 06:39:07 AM »
omg thats insane

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003, 06:39:46 AM »
Insane, as in GENIUS.  Perfect argument, it's infalliable.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 06:41:26 AM »
This spotlights the growing Anti-liberty trend in colleges (that's the only thing I can label it!).  I went to UNC Charlotte, and a guy got kicked out of there last month, for guess what? Hanging a U.S. flag outside his window.  They said a flag would offend people (this is IN the united states!) and if he didn't remove it, he'd be expelled.  What the FUCK is going on in our colleges.  
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 06:41:57 AM by Trauma »

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 06:48:12 AM »
well its nothing new in someways.... its like you're over politically correct.. to the point where its offensive..

its like... you're black.. therefore you have no money (stereotype) so you can have the cookies cheaper.... of course they're hiding something like saying "or you'd probably steal them if we kept em at the higher price"... lol

me.. i'd get my black friends to get my cookies.. lol

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 06:50:28 AM »
I know, but it's still a genius argument! The only attack against the argument you can muster would be to attack the affirmative action policy, which is their own policy.  The great thing is that it enrages them because at face value, as a bake sale, it shows everybody just how rediculous of a concept it is, but yet it's exactly what they promote, that's why they get so pissed and tear the display down, etc.  

Smoke

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 06:53:41 AM »
Mmm.. i dunno what to say, for real! It looks like i live in another world.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2003, 12:39:28 PM »
Oh God.

See what the fuck we have to put up with here. If your a minority, it's assumed you got to college because of Affirmative Action. I'm Latino, and I got into to college because I test in the top 90% of all college bound students in math, as a junior in high school. There are other ways to make discussion. As a leader at my campus, I have to think of many ways. And believe me, I and other people here have. To assume though that all blacks got into college by affirmative action is wrong, and I can see how this bake sale can be highly offensive, because as just a Latino, I am highly offened.

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2003, 04:24:30 PM »
LOL You're right, Affirmative Action IS offensive.  Why don't you do something about it.  

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2003, 05:05:33 PM »
what to do? there's no affirmative action in california. and it's offensive if you use it to downgrade people that you think take advantage of the system. the common perseption is that minorities are lazy, and can't get into college without it. that's false, and it's not my fault you feel that way. maybe you should get educated more on the issues, before you go off supporting mindless bake sales.

Woodrow

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2003, 05:08:34 PM »
Affirmative Action = New Racism

Trauma-san

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2003, 05:19:20 PM »
M Dogg, you're so easy.  When did I say I supported affirmative action?  These are affirmative action bake sales, being held on the campuses of colleges that utilize affirmative action.  You agree that they denegrate minorities to second class standards, but yet you don't see that affirmative action policies in the workplace as well as on college campuses do the exact same thing.  That's the beauty of it, you can see that the bake sale is racist, but you can't see that affirmative action is.  LOL.  Unbelievable.

You say Cali doesn't have affirmative action, that's true.  Minnesota does, though, and that's where you go to school!  You should be the one having these bakesales showing your school administrators what you think of affirmative action.  

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2003, 05:20:59 PM »
Affirmative Action = New Racism

How's it new racism when it's been around for 38 years. The debate is heating up because the U.S. is more conservative. Personally, in California, Affirmative Action is dead, and yet in 1999, 3 years after it was taken out, I still got accepted into California schools. So really, what you guys are doing is making a law that's been in the book for almost 4 decades now, look like it's the only way minorities get placed into college. Many minorities earn their spot into colleges, and work hard to get there. It is you that cheapens everything, for you fail to realize this, and chalk it up as Affirmative Action.

dexter

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2003, 05:21:23 PM »
Most AA Benefits WHITE WOMEN!

dexter

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2003, 05:23:13 PM »
Thanks M Dogg. The Truth finally SPOKEN!! Hit the nail on the Head!