Author Topic: Eminem/Shady Records sues The Source/Benzino  (Read 786 times)

Jome

Eminem/Shady Records sues The Source/Benzino
« on: December 17, 2003, 04:05:45 PM »
Judge Halts Distribution Of Eminem's Controversial Freestyle
12.17.2003 1:21 PM EST

Eminem (file)
Photo: Interscope

NEW YORK — On Tuesday a federal court judge granted Eminem an injunction against The Source, blocking the hip-hop publication from releasing a CD containing a controversial freestyle by the rapper.

Last month the magazine's owners, Ray "Benzino" Scott and David Mays, held a press conference to expose the old recording in which a young Marshall Mathers talks disparagingly about black women (see "The Source Digs Up Tape Of Eminem Using Racial Slurs"). The Source's owners said a CD of the freestyle would be included in their February issue, due on newsstands January 13.

Eminem admitted to making the song in anger and issued an apology. In a statement released two weeks ago, he said, "I did and said a lot of stupid sh-- when I was a kid, but that's part of growing up. The tape of me rapping 15 years ago as a teenager that was recently put out by The Source in no way represents who I was then or who I am today."

Attorneys for Em and his Shady Records imprint filed papers for the injunction in Manhattan on Monday, citing copyright infringement. Em is also seeking unspecified damages.

Although many people in the hip-hop community have chosen to either forgive and forget or flat out not get involved in the Eminem fracas, The Source has continued to press the issue, branding Slim Shady a racist and a thief of hip-hop culture and promising an exposé on the rapper. Eminem, meanwhile, dissed Benzino and The Source on tracks that hit the Internet and mixtapes recently (see "Eminem's Benzino Dis Turns Up In The Lab").

A spokesperson at Eminem's label, Interscope, had no comment Wednesday (December 17). A Source spokesperson had no comment on the injunction but said the release of the February issue would not be delayed.

—Shaheem Reid

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1482925/20031217/eminem.jhtml?headlines=true

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
Re:Eminem/Shady Records sues The Source/Benzino
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 04:32:43 PM »
damm, dats hella fuced up....benzino need 2 get shot already.......

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

pappy

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 05:03:29 PM »
*waits for SUV to defend benzino*

SGV

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 05:46:56 PM »
LOL. Em loves to run his mouth, it has caught up with him.

pappy

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 06:10:49 PM »

not really b/c i still see black wearing his clothing company,  an when he does release a new  album its still goin sell as many as his last album did.  so i dont see how it has caught it up with him.  

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 06:46:00 PM »

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 08:29:31 PM »
I don't understand how anybody sees anything negative in this about Eminem.  What he said was bugged out, but it was 10 years ago.  Benzino says shit like that about white people every fucking album.  This is an obvious attempt by Benzino to salvage his fucked up rap career by dissing the man on top, who just happens to be white.  In the end: Eminem can rap, Benzino can't.  That's what's going to matter in the end.  

SGV

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 12:12:54 AM »
Please, stop justifying Eminem. He made the song. That's the point. Whether it was 10 years ago or yesterday, Eminem still made it. It's his fault. He shouldn't be upset at anyone but himself. I don't give a mad fuck about the tape, just like seeing Eminem squirm.

Benzino's career has been decent. He's an average rapper. True, Em is a better rapper. But, bet, Benzino is a much better producer. He hasn't produced the same beat 20 times over.

Don Breezio

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 12:15:14 AM »
Please, stop justifying Eminem. He made the song. That's the point. Whether it was 10 years ago or yesterday, Eminem still made it. It's his fault. He shouldn't be upset at anyone but himself. I don't give a mad fuck about the tape, just like seeing Eminem squirm.

Benzino's career has been decent. He's an average rapper. True, Em is a better rapper. But, bet, Benzino is a much better producer. He hasn't produced the same beat 20 times over.

no the age doesnt matter...what matters is the state of mind he was under...the fact that his black girlfriend broke up with him...you know that fucked with his mind...i'd be pissed and probably say some shit too because thats the easy way...you're gonna talk shit and if thats the easiest way to do it you'd do it too. i dont consider eminem a racist because of this tape...actually i consider eminem to be one of the least racist rappers in the game.

SGV

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 12:17:10 AM »

no the age doesnt matter...what matters is the state of mind he was under...the fact that his black girlfriend broke up with him...you know that fucked with his mind...i'd be pissed and probably say some shit too because thats the easy way...you're gonna talk shit and if thats the easiest way to do it you'd do it too. i dont consider eminem a racist because of this tape...actually i consider eminem to be one of the least racist rappers in the game.
I never once called him racist. I just said he made the tape, so it's his fault. I'm not black, I take no offense. Like I told you last night, I make plenty of racist remarks, I don't put them on tape though. You record something like that, it's bound to blow up in your face. I have no remorse for him. He was that dumb to record something like that.

Don Breezio

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 12:19:33 AM »

I never once called him racist. I just said he made the tape, so it's his fault. I'm not black, I take no offense. Like I told you last night, I make plenty of racist remarks, I don't put them on tape though. You record something like that, it's bound to blow up in your face. I have no remorse for him. He was that dumb to record something like that.

i agree he shouldnt've recorded it...its pointless...your just asking for trouble by doing so....but i think benzino is blowing this way out of proportion. i like benzino's music...always have...but i gotta say...he's a bitch mf

SGV

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2003, 12:22:07 AM »

i agree he shouldnt've recorded it...its pointless...your just asking for trouble by doing so....but i think benzino is blowing this way out of proportion. i like benzino's music...always have...but i gotta say...he's a bitch mf
Benzino is an oppurtunist. He saw a chance to make Em look bad, he went for it. No harm done. It's Em's own fault. Benzino is just releasing a record that Em made, he should be more careful next time.

It's like the Pam and Tommy tape. What do they expect? Someone's bound to get they hands on it. Don't cry when they do, you're a star. Don't be so careless next time.

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2003, 02:52:31 AM »
I can understand why they doin' it, but the fucked up thing about it is that Benzino & The Source get free publicity.

eNgIeS

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2003, 03:51:03 AM »
I don't understand how anybody sees anything negative in this about Eminem.  What he said was bugged out, but it was 10 years ago.  Benzino says shit like that about white people every fucking album.  This is an obvious attempt by Benzino to salvage his fucked up rap career by dissing the man on top, who just happens to be white.  In the end: Eminem can rap, Benzino can't.  That's what's going to matter in the end.  

true

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2003, 05:56:00 AM »
yeah, i know. i'm writing about eminem and that new "scandal" that has apparently hit the public. the 'scandal' where ray benzino has actually held a goddam PRESS CONFERENCE to show the world what a racist bastard eminem is because he said some bad shit about some black girl more than 10 years ago. which, by the way, happened to be a black girl that happened to be cheating on him. yep. 10 goddam years ago. seriously. this benzino guy needs to get off eminems dick. i'm sorry, but people don't deliberately make it their sole mission in life to bring someone down. i just don't understand this benzino guy. first, he rips em and dre out of 5 mic status - not once, not twice, but 5 fucking times. he comes out with some of the whackest rhymes i have ever heard in my life attempting to diss eminem. wow. em rips him to pieces on 'nail in the coffin' - "...if you was really sellin crack/then what the fuck you stop for dummy/ if you slew some crack/ you'd make a lot more money than you do from rap...". and then benzino tells em if he disses him in the source awards, he's going to censor em. now what the fuck is this shit? talk about a fuckin piece of shit. this guy has the nerve to go after someone, multiple times, and backs down and cries whenever that person comes back at him. so mr. benzino thinks it's in good taste to hold a fucking PRESS CONFERENCE to show people a tape, made more than 10 years ago of where eminem used the n-word. benzino uses that word all the time and he's half white himself.

and, i know that i sound like a pathetic little teeny bopper paying attention to public feuds, but my point does not lie there. my point lies with the n-word. i don't get it. i just don't get it. why must this word be any part of the english language? first off, i don't think that this word should be said, anymore, EVER...and if it is decided that it should be said, how the hell can a goddam word be exclusive? and why must rappers use it all the goddam time and expect that only they are allowed to use it? considering the fact that the number of white people that buy rap records FAR OUTWEIGHS the number of black people that buy rap records, why the hell can't the white listeners use the same terminology? i mean, if whites are PAYING for it, why the hell shouldn't they get it? the whole fact that this word is even a part of every day conversation is ridiculous, and the fact that it gets played, all goddam day on the fucking radio and it is used all over music videos and interviews is just disgusting. and THEN, the nerve to tell people that it's an exclusive word is just pathetic.

why is it that the use of this word is just sooo monumental when it comes from a white person? they acted like MARK FUHRMAN was satan himself when they heard a tape where he used it. and in all honesty, i think that that's probably one of the main reasons that OJ was found not-guilty. i mean, what the fuck does one guys vocabulary have to do with a murder trial? and now eminem is catching heat for it. why? because he is WHITE. it doesn't matter that any one of these fucking idiots that has some catchy song uses it, no matter who hears it. it doesn't matter that eminem is probably one of the FIRST men in this day in age to penetrate both sides of the market more EFFECTIVELY than ANYONE before him (except maybe ELVIS, but even there, you can't compare - i don't think events from different time periods are ever comparable). it doesn't matter that he actually says something in his rhymes. it doesn't matter that he sees the way that greed operates. it doesn't matter that he exposes fakes and phonies. it doesn't matter that he has probably got his ass beat, numerous times, for attempting to be a part of the black lifestyle. it doesn't matter that he has caused more young people to look in the mirror and see what's wrong with this world than anyone before PAC. no, appartenly what matters is that once upon a time, when he was at a very difficult time in his life, he said a goddam stupid word (THAT NOBODY SHOULD EVER USE) and now he has apologized for it. actually, he hasn't stooped to the level of fakeness that apologizing for something like that requires - he explained that it was a difficult time in his life and he was angry and hurt. he never said he was sorry. and i don't think he should. and honestly, anyone that cares (or thinks he should apologize) should take a look in the goddam mirror and open up their fucking eyes. fuckin hypocrites.

we should all catch heat for it. anyone who doesn't say it in a productive way should be sued. anyone that uses it in an ignorant way, where kids, (WHITE KIDS and ASIAN KIDS and BLACK KIDS and MEXICAN KIDS), are actually PAYING to hear it, then we can stop pointing the goddam finger. for something so silly as a word that causes so much goddam controversy, you'd think that people would be a little more responsible with it. especially those that point the finger. especially ray benzino. and any one of these black "artists" that think it's ok for them to say it a thousand times with apparently no meaning at all. so i got something for you n-word users: FUCK every rapper that never really said anything when saying it and made money for it. FUCK every single person that says it's a term of "endearment." fuck that shit. how retarded could you possibly be? a word that causes TEARS to fall from old folks is a term of ENDEARMENT? ignorant motherfuckers......