Author Topic: The Insanity Plea  (Read 162 times)

Trauma-san

The Insanity Plea
« on: December 18, 2003, 03:30:49 PM »
it got brought up by Charlie Brown in the Holly & Jessica thing, it got brought up in the Hinckley thing.

I say it's bullshit.  If somebody's insane, it doesn't matter, they still did it.  They ought to be punished, and possibly punish whoever was supposed to be watching them and didn't.  

A retarded guy kills two girls.  The victims are the girls, not the retarded guy.  He was a victim when he was born, his parents or whoever should have been responsible for him, but they let him do as he pleases, and two girls are dead as a result.  Maybe it's not fair to him, but oh well.  We can't go on supporting these people, they are what they are, the motive doesn't matter, he still killed two children.  

Don Breezio

Re:The Insanity Plea
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 03:40:19 PM »
i agree...the insanity plea is fucked up...whether your insane, retarded, or just plain stupid...you did it.

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 05:51:34 AM »
I don't agree with claiming insanity when someone isn't and then they get a lighter sentence (ie their wife cheated on them and for a few seconds they went loco and shot her 7 times with a shotgun), but sometimes people who suffer from a mental disability commit crimes we in the west think are unacceptable. Unfortunately, some have either been unable to pick up certain values or just don't receive the proper treatment in the first place, so they can't then lead a 'normal' life. And if you find someone with a mental disability guilty of murder i don't think they should receive the same punishment (and rehabilitative care) that other murderers receive. It would require time spent in a institution where they can teach them what they did, the affect it had on the victim (and friends and family) and why it is considered wrong in our society. If someone with a mental disability who should have been supervised, goes out and commits a crime, i do think the people who should have been looking after them should also be punished (although not to the same extent).

Here in Britain we use prison as a punishment but we have a very strong emphasis on rehabiltating criminals so that once they have done the time for the crime committed, they can became a constructive member of society again. In America it is still largely seen that the criminals just deserve punishment (part of the reason Trauma and I have the views we have). I am not saying everyone could or should be rehabilitated and released from prison though, so don't put words in mouth.
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

ILL-Logic-AL

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 07:12:43 AM »
Its pure bullshit.

If you're a murderer then you need to die.